Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Right, I've been looking for work a lot lately, sending a lot of spec letters to companies who aren't advertising.
My town is basically full of all sorts of jobs, but our main type includes serving customers. In stuff such as big chain stores and mini/local stores. You got stuff like Greggs, Subway, and all other types of shit like that. Everything seems to be serving people.

Now, I really really don't want that type of a job. It's hard to explain why, but I can be fine with people. I am polite etc. but it's just the type of job I really wouldn't stick to, and I'd end up quitting after a week or less.

I want something where you work in the background. So what i have been trying to look for is "warehouse assistant" type of jobs.

Another type of job I really wouldn't mind is delivering goods, but not huge goods (such as fridges, cookers, beds etc). However, the only problem with that is I can't drive, and I very much doubt there are any jobs that require two people to deliver, when the items aren't too big.

So, based on these two kinds of jobs, I need more ideas to be able to expand my search... Any help is much appreciated.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I work in a warehouse right now. I put parts away, organize them, pull parts, put together assembly kits, spend 3-4 hours a day on a Stacker (See below), and deal with finding space to put parts (our warehouse hasn't been expanded in 30+ years and we've gone from a mostly light vehicle supplier, i.e. cars, to exclusively heavy vehicle, i.e. semi trucks, cranes, buses, and military vehicles. Space is limited. lol)

That's my baby. Forks are only a few years old so they aren't rusted and the body is in better shape and has better bumper stickers, but it is the same model.

EDIT: Damn that thing is in bad shape. I didn't look at it in full res before posting it. Jeez. O_o

Unless you are someone who likes puzzles and is a damn good organizer, as well as being okay with doing heavy lifting all day long, you probably don't want to work in a warehouse. It's not really as great as people make it out to be. Also, Tetris. Be damn good at Tetris.

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011 15:48:15 GMT by Josh

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Stinky: Is doing graphics work out of the question? Free lancing can pay damn well and I know you used to do designs at some point. :P Just an idea.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I beat tetris once.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Eric Avatar
I beat tetris once.

Doesn't that happen when you clear 5 rows at once?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Eric Avatar
I beat tetris once.

No, it happens when you divide by zero. Duh.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Chris Avatar

No, it happens when you divide by zero. Duh.

When you clear a row that didn't exist? Shit.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
I beat tetris once.

The entire world is just a game of Tetris.

No, really. And this works on more levels than one. On a very basic, literal level, and that much is obvious. Whether you're a dishwasher trying to figure out how to arrange the dishes so they fit best in the tub, trying to arrange things in a suitcase, or maybe figuring out the best way to park a bunch of cars in your driveway. It's all about fitting the pieces together for the best possible outcome.

And speaking of pieces, I think life, in a figurative sense, is like Tetris, and you are a piece. Whether an L block, reverse L block, squiggle or reverse squiggle, the T block, elusive line block, or that damnedable square block. You are one of many pieces trying to fit into society. Trying to find your niche in the world where you fit best. And in another sense, you also do what you can to shape society around yourself, much like you manipulate every piece that comes after the first. Everyone wants to change the world, just like everyone wants to win Tetris.

Winning Tetris. You can't do it, just like winning life. I mean, of course there are SOME versions of Tetris you can win, but that's besides the point. Instead, you play for the high score. When you get it, you keep playing to beat it. Just like how everyone is constantly trying to better their own lives and pursue higher goals than each one they complete.

"Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." That famous quote isn't quite true. You always have some foreshadowing in life, sort of how Tetris shows your next piece. Armed with that knowledge of the next piece, you already start to plan it's place in your multi-colored, misshapen puzzle, just how you use the knowledge of your own future to plan your next move in life.

Life is like a game of Tetris.

Looking back, I feel I could've added a lot more to it and drawn more comparisons, but yeah.

Also, Stinky, have you considered the military? I don't wanna shove that in your face because I'm in the Navy, but it really doesn't hurt to get some information. You never know how you might feel about it until you get some solid info on the various branches and what they have to offer.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar

Also, Stinky, have you considered the military? I don't wanna shove that in your face because I'm in the Navy, but it really doesn't hurt to get some information. You never know how you might feel about it until you get some solid info on the various branches and what they have to offer.

Do they tell you to recruit? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just curious.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Do they tell you to recruit? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just curious.

Considering Stinky said he's from England (in the past), this wouldn't be recruiting either way.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Not at all. I really don't care if people join or not right now. I'm proud of anyone who knows what they want/need to do and does it. I'm just saying. It IS an option, but a lot of people are really timid when it comes to the military, so I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to get more information like you would with any job.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Sorry I didn't reply to this everyone.
Thank you all for the replies, they are appreciated.

Today I had a meeting with a company TNG that helps me with all job stuff (interview techniques etc) and I start a Work Placement on March 7th, which is 30hrs per week and lasts for 4weeks. Hopefully then, they offer me a job. If not, I think I get placed somewhere else for 4 weeks, and the cycle keeps happening until I get offered a job, or apply/find one elsewhere.

What will I be doing I hear you all wondering?
Well, I'm not too sure EXACTLY, but it's in a store (they sell clothes and such) and because I told this Work Placement officer how shy I am, and how I really don't want to serve customers, I will be dealing with deliveries.

I have to go back down in a few hours to do the paper work and get it all sorted, but yeah.. Thought I'd let you all know. I'm actually really nervous about it, since I have no work experience at all.

newBookmarkLockedFalling