Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So today is my first day of P90X. It's a 7 day-a-week program for 13 weeks (do the math; that's 91 days straight of working out). I'm pretty excited, but pretty nervous, too. When I'm done, I want to try Insanity (60 day program, 5 days a week).

Has anyone else done P90X (or Insanity or something similar)? Do you currently work out?

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
xmsteel Avatar
I don't use weight loss programs because I only weigh 130 pounds. I have heard p90x is a good program though.

P90X is mostly for building muscle, rather than losing weight. You and I could probably both get some use out of it :P

But from what I've heard, it definitely works as long as you stick to it, with results much better than most predict. Good luck :)

Last Edit: Mar 7, 2011 4:19:07 GMT by abZebras

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
abZebras Avatar
xmsteel Avatar
I don't use weight loss programs because I only weigh 130 pounds. I have heard p90x is a good program though.

P90X is mostly for building muscle, rather than losing weight. You and I could probably both get some use out of it :P

But from what I've heard, it definitely works as long as you stick to it, with results much better than most predict. Good luck :)
They have different programs depending on what you want to do.

I've seen people that have completed it, and it wasn't anything special. Maybe they saved a week or two of a typical work out plan. Either way, P90x won't replace years of regular weight training.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
abZebras Avatar

They have different programs depending on what you want to do.

I've seen people that have completed it, and it wasn't anything special. Maybe they saved a week or two of a typical work out plan. Either way, P90x won't replace years of regular weight training.

You're right on both accounts. I'm jumping straight into the doubles program because I wanna build muscle AND lose weight (doubles adds 3 days of the cardio program during the Phase 2 and 4 days of cardio during the Phase 3).

Also, while you're right about it not really replacing years of regular weight training, it's still a perfectly good program. I enjoy lifting weights more than anything, but the program I wrote up for myself led me to a plateau after about 3 months and I've been struggling to come up with a new one. That's why I'm doing P90X. It gives me a routine that I know will work (results may vary, I know, but it should still shock my muscles and give me results regardless), plus it'll help with shedding fat and helping me tone.

I've been lifting weights more or less regularly for about 2 years now, but without a good structured workout plan, I haven't had amazing results (barring the one I said that I made right after boot camp which DID work great for 3 months, but now I'm lost again).

And at the end of the day, it's intense and helps with building mental strength, too, which is what I need. I have PRTs (physical readiness tests) twice a year, and as a smoker, nothing is worse than that mile and a half run. Granted, I can do it well under time (I just had mine a couple weeks ago and did fine), but I've gotta keep up with my working out to at least maintain that, and I'd love to improve it.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Why do P90X over the 300 Workout? :P Screw adding tone in 3 months, go all out and get an 8 pack. :P

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I change up my work out about every 3 months for that reason. Shocking the muscles is always good.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
I change up my work out about every 3 months for that reason. Shocking the muscles is always good.

Definitely, but I just don't know enough about working out and how the body operates to constantly change my routine. I know more than most people, but not enough to keep up with constant improvement.

So far (a whopping 2 days), P90X has been good. Today, I was sore as shit from nothing more than pull ups, push ups, and a couple workouts with a resistance band. It's pretty amazing that I can get the same feeling from those as I can from the various bench press workouts, rows, and pull downs. It's nice to not have to worry about how MUCH I can lift, but just how far I can push myself.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Today, I was sore as shit from nothing more than pull ups, push ups, and a couple workouts with a resistance band.

Wimp.

Nah, Just kidding. I can only do about 10 push-ups, and then I'm sore the next full day.

...I'm 6'0, 275 with little upper body strength (legs are strong as hell, though) and I can do 10 without getting sore dude. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

Wimp.

Nah, Just kidding. I can only do about 10 push-ups, and then I'm sore the next full day.

...I'm 6'0, 275 with little upper body strength (legs are strong as hell, though) and I can do 10 without getting sore dude. :P

Anybody who spends as much time as you on their back would have little upper body strength.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
Josh Avatar

Anybody who spends as much time as you on their back would have little upper body strength.

What can I say? I'm a lazy bastard and I make Sandra do all the work.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

So you're the person she's telling me about that is helping her get good with a strap-on. Kudos to you mate, although I'm slightly concerned as to why she wants to be good with one...

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
Josh Avatar

So you're the person she's telling me about that is helping her get good with a strap-on. Kudos to you mate, although I'm slightly concerned as to why she wants to be good with one...

No... that's not me. It seems your girlfriend has been double teaming you in more ways than one...

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

No... that's not me. It seems your girlfriend has been double teaming you in more ways than one...

Sweet. I need to find out now and invite everyone over for Thanksgiving. I wonder how awkward I could make it for everyone.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

I've never had much arm/hand strength. I need to start building muscle, but I'm too lazy.

And that's why you're weak. Not because you're physically weak, but mentally weak.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

I have strong legs too, long ago I was a great runner, but I had fluid in my leg and since then I cant run worth crap, even though it cleared completely up. Worst feeling I've ever had too. Would rather go through appendix surgery again than to have fluid in my leg. I was basically disabled. I had to get a doctors note for PE so I didn't have to do tough stuff, and a letter to all my teachers in middle school so they would know I might be late because I could barely walk.

I've never had much arm/hand strength. I need to start building muscle, but I'm too lazy.

I'm pretty much exactly the opposite. I took being academically gifted as an excuse to get unfit. Looking back, as I come from a family with terrible heart problems this probably wasn't the best idea. Recently I've been more enthusiastic about getting fit and building muscle than ever before. I have poor upper body strength but great abdominal strength.

newBookmarkLockedFalling