Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Hey all.
For some reason my wireless isn't working and I have no idea why.
I first found out by trying to login with my XBL on my Xbox, and it wouldn't connect.
I did everything it suggested - which is basically just to turn off my router for 30secs, then turn it back on. That didn't help. I actually left it off for about 10 minutes.

All of my lights are working perfectly fine, everything is on as it should be and how it usually is. The internet itself is working perfectly. I am using it right now.

I asked my brother to test his laptop wireless and that isn't working either. So for some reason it suddenly stopped working (I was in the middle of an Xbox online game and it suddenly disconnected - no one was using their laptop, or anything else).

So I am really really confused.

Oh and on my xbox at one point, it did say something like "Can not connect to wireless hardware". Not sure if that means my router is screwed?

Seriously, any and all suggestions for help is GREATLY appreciated.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Can you see the wireless network in your connection settings on any of your devices? If you can, your router is likely fine. Next step would be to backtrack to the modem. I would unplug it and any backup battery it may have and let it sit for a minute. Plug everything back in, try again. If you still cannot connect, try plugging directly into your modem. If that works and you can connect, your wireless settings are screwed up and a simple reset should do the trick. If you get nothing... well, give your ISP a call.

Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011 16:17:29 GMT by Josh

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Some routers have a "enable/disable" switch on them that turned off the wireless. The internet itself still works, but the wireless won't. You could see if it has one of those... maybe someone accidently hit it.
k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Some routers have a "enable/disable" switch on them that turned off the wireless. The internet itself still works, but the wireless won't. You could see if it has one of those... maybe someone accidently hit it.

Would that be able to happen without using my PC, because my pc is what the router is connected to and setup on?
If it can only be done on my PC then that's impossible. No one has been on it except me.

I have looked for an enable/disable option but can't find it. Maybe I do have one, and I'm just blind.

Not sure if this helps but, I did a "check internet connectivity" test, and everything came back as "green" (meaning good/fine/working, obviously) except for "Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.139.132.36)", which was red with an X.

(Btw, Josh I'm not ignoring your post. I'm just trying stuff first that doesn't require me to turn the router etc off again.. yet. So don't think I'm not greatly, cos I am. I will get to yours after all else fails lol.)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
What router do you have? The ever popular WRT54G from Linksys/Cisco?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
its a PHYSICAL button on your actual router, not on the computer in settings.
k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
What router do you have? The ever popular WRT54G from Linksys/Cisco?

THOMSON TG585 v7
It came free with the package.

Andrew McGivery Avatar
its a PHYSICAL button on your actual router, not on the computer in settings.

Oh right.. haha. I feel dumb :P
There's one on the front which I assume is it. I've pressed it, I will test it now.

Edit:
Nah, still not working.
It has a circle around it to indicate it should/could have a light to say if it's working/on/off. No light is on at all, but then I don't think it ever has a light on.

Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011 16:59:21 GMT by Stinky666

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Turned my router off and on again after pressing the wireless, it now works. woohoo
So effin happy. Thanks =D

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
lol have fun :P
k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009