Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I know, you must be getting sick of me asking for help with lots of stuff.
I use Opera (don't suggest using a different browser. I like Opera) and for some reason it keeps crashing after 10 minutes or so.
I can only have 1 tab open and in my task manager I have noticed that the "Memory" keeps increasing, whether I am doing anything or not.

I have 4gb RAM, but when it gets to 1.8gb for just Opera, that's when it seems to crash. I can't see anything unusual open in task manager (anywhere).

I have also noticed that when I view more than a few larger images, images stop loading. I can still right click them and save them and they do save fully.

I will do a virus scan tonight when I go to bed (it takes way too long to scan my whole pc or even a quick scan).

I have uninstalled > restarted > reinstalled. This has made no difference. It's the exact same.

Other than doing the virus scan, what else can anyone suggest (remember, excluding changing browsers :P (aimed mainly at Simie if he replies =P)).

Oh and a quick note. I have definitely not changed any setting in Opera, nor have I downloaded anything lately.

Edit:
Below is a screeny of my task manager to show what's open, if that helps at all.
As I started typing this whole message I had opened Opera fresh (so no tabs etc open). It was at 43,977 memory, and as you can see, in the screeny it is over double. I guess it's only gone up slowly because I have no other tabs open. By now, when I have more tabs open it is at 1.8gb and is frozen.
img15.imageshack.us/i/tskmgru.jpg

Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011 23:22:51 GMT by Stinky666

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
No browser should top 500mb of usage. An even 500 is ridiculous.

What extensions/add-ons do you have installed? What websites do you frequently visit?

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Uninstall it, then search both your computer and the registry for traces of it. Remove everything you find. Then reinstall it.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I did uninstall and it kept on happening. It started giving me a shockwave error report to send to Opera. Which i didn't send.
SO, I thought screw it, and did a quick virus scan. It found 3 infected files. 2 of which were something to do with MSN ads or something. Not sure. But I moved all 3 to the Chest in Avast pro, and now my problem has gone. I'm not getting the sandbox Violation thing anymore (posted in another topic) and Opera is perfect again. Thank god. Or rather Avast.

Edit:
Would you say 357,000 is a lot if you only have 1 tab open in the browser? It might be because I DID have other tabs open (3 or 4) but closed them, so it hasn't caught up.. ? I dunno. It's running a LOT better than it was. So i'm happy :P

Last Edit: Mar 18, 2011 1:20:58 GMT by Stinky666

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
That sounds like a lot to me. It probably didn't clear the memory from the previous tabs yet though. Either way, I guess a virus was your issue. :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Lmao I spoke too soon.
I left my PC on last night for a full system scan. When I woke up it had found nothing and was complete (,540,000 files + 3hrs scanning).
All was fine, then now.. about 10mins ago I got one of those Sandbox Violations again. I clicked Dismiss (it has dismiss, or continue).

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'm not 100% sure that the sandbox errors are actually a virus. :P Have you made sure that you have the latest version of flash and shockwave?

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Chris Avatar
I'm not 100% sure that the sandbox errors are actually a virus. :P Have you made sure that you have the latest version of flash and shockwave?

Yes I did, and I have.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Better question, are you running Avast or some other anti-virus fulltime? Usually they react to that stuff.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Chris Avatar
Better question, are you running Avast or some other anti-virus fulltime? Usually they react to that stuff.

I have Avast Pro, and it's on 24/7 (or when my PC is on anyway).

newBookmarkLockedFalling