Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Since I have posted asking for help before, I thought it'd be nice of me to let you know that I have work now.
Sadly though, it's only voluntary at the moment. It's 30hrs a week for 4 weeks.
After that, they can either keep me on and start paying me, or obviously let me be on my way. If the latter happens, I will then be going elsewhere almost immediately for yet more voluntary.

This is going to be my first ever job (except for paper boy :P) and I thought I'd be pretty nervous, anxious, and all that jazz, but I'm actually not.

I only had 1 worry, which has been sorted now. I was told to wear black shoes and black trousers. I have them. No one said anything about what t-shirt/jumper/top to wear. So I was basically panicking over that. Luckily my brother knows someone who actually works at the place I am doing this voluntary, so he asked him for me, and they supply those for me when I get their.

I will be the first to admit that I am far from the most motivated person and the fact I am what you could call an Xbox (Halo :P) addict, I would have thought I wouldn't be excited. Yet I really am.
Of course I am slightly nervous (although yes, I did say earlier I wasn't), but only because of the not knowing what to expect.

Any tips or advice for me? Or anything else? =)

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Just work hard at whatever it is, don't bitch, but don't shy away from making comments that could improve the workflow. Make sure that you aren't pissing on the person immediately above you.

Last Edit: Mar 20, 2011 23:18:27 GMT by Eric

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Eric Avatar
Just work hard at whatever it is, don't bitch, but don't shy away from making comments that could improve the workflow. Make sure that you aren't pissing on the person immediately above you.

I wont piss on anyone (literally or otherwise).
At least for the first day or 2 I will be pretty shy and not too talkative etc. I just need to get comfortable in an environment first. But I'm sure I aint the only one like that.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Eric pretty much hit it on the nose. :P Try to be friendly, agreeable, etc. That's usually all you need to do.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I actually was. I also said "yes" a lot and "ok". It was my induction day so I was just being shown everything and where it all was, and explained lots of stuff, hence the "yes" and "oks". I kept switching it up between "yes" and "yep" and "yeah" and "alright" and "ok" lol.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
When you actually start doing work... work your ass off. Assuming this is the warehouse job you were referring to previously, there will be more than enough opportunity to do that. Offer to help anyone who looks like they may need it, too. The most mundane things can be made 10 times easier if someone helps. I know my warehouse experience is a little different since I deal with parts as heavy as 200 lb each, but having someone help lift something is infinitely easier than using a crane or forklift to move it. Same thing goes for shrinkwrapping. If you see someone wrapping a palette in plastic, offer to help. A typical wrapping job can go from 3 or 4 minutes to 30 seconds with someone helping out.

All in all, if you want to keep the job after 4 weeks... you just have to work your ass off. Don't sit around or look clueless. Don't ask for work, find work. It is there. There is always work to do, even if it isn't necessarily within your job responsibilities.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
When you actually start doing work... work your ass off. Assuming this is the warehouse job you were referring to previously, there will be more than enough opportunity to do that. Offer to help anyone who looks like they may need it, too. The most mundane things can be made 10 times easier if someone helps. I know my warehouse experience is a little different since I deal with parts as heavy as 200 lb each, but having someone help lift something is infinitely easier than using a crane or forklift to move it. Same thing goes for shrinkwrapping. If you see someone wrapping a palette in plastic, offer to help. A typical wrapping job can go from 3 or 4 minutes to 30 seconds with someone helping out.

All in all, if you want to keep the job after 4 weeks... you just have to work your ass off. Don't sit around or look clueless. Don't ask for work, find work. It is there. There is always work to do, even if it isn't necessarily within your job responsibilities.

I actually did shrink wrapping yesterday on my induction.
We had to do it to clothes that needed sending back and were just on rails. It took longer than a few minutes per rail (4 rails total) with 2 of us doing it. This is because we have to make sure every single part of clothing is covered and we had lots of long items so when they are all together, add up quite a lot in weight, meaning we then have to shrink wrap quite a lot.

I'm not doing warehouse work as such. I'm more or less doing what other's are doing, which is ok, I don't mind it.
The warehouse isn't too big anyway, pretty small in all honesty.

I should say, the shop/store I am working at is all kinds of items, ranging from hardware to garden, and clothing/fashion to cleansing products (all things involved with that).
I'm dealing with customers, tidying products and re-stocking anything we have left to be able to re-stock.

Also today though I did do a lot of heavy lifting with deliveries and then sorting them into their sections ready for the morning team to unpack and start packing.

The only problem I really have at the moment, is the fact that I am on my feet literally all the time I am there (I'm 1pm - 6pm and don't get a lunch break, and if I want normal breaks I have to go in early - so if I want say 3 breaks, and lets say 5 minutes per time, I have to go in 15minutes earlier than my 1pm start) so my feet hurt like hell and I have already got a couple of blisters per foot lol. I haven't had blisters for sooooooo many years.

Luckily, there are 2 people there that I grew up with, not associate with and stuff but it makes it easier for me to be able to go ask for help with something and such, because in real life, I am far from the kind of person who will well.. go ask for help. Especially if I have been shown to do something, I just automatically assume to myself "I shouldn't be asking for help, i've been shown wtf to do, so i'm gonna look like a right dumb idiot".

Overall though, everyone is actually great (nice and friendly, easy to talk to (be it asking questions or just chatting)).

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Stay on your feet. Trust me... it hurt like hell. I did 8 hours straight when I started. My boss was out of town when I started last year, so they had me learning the ropes in one of the labs. So not only was I on my feet for 8 hours for the first three days, I also was working with a 6 foot long torque wrench all day (I was the biggest in the lab, so I could apply the most force to the wrench). With the feet thing... you grow used to it after two or three weeks. I won't deny that it sucks being on cement that long, but it gets way easier.

Best advice? Get a damn good pair of shoes. I was wearing cheap things when I started. $50 steel toe dress shoes made by Dickies. They fell apart, they cut into my feet, they hurt like hell. Now? I recently bought my third pair of work boots in 12 months. This pair cost $185. The soles are some synthetic rubber that was developed specifically for working on cement and I barely feel anything now. www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/6618-red-wing-shoes/6618-red-wing-mens-oxford-black

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Doesn't matter what you wear. Stand in them long enough and you'll get used to it. Trust me.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It's true. However, certain shoes do decrease blisters/calices as you start. :P That's always helpful... since, you know, it's less painful.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
Stay on your feet. Trust me... it hurt like hell. I did 8 hours straight when I started. My boss was out of town when I started last year, so they had me learning the ropes in one of the labs. So not only was I on my feet for 8 hours for the first three days, I also was working with a 6 foot long torque wrench all day (I was the biggest in the lab, so I could apply the most force to the wrench). With the feet thing... you grow used to it after two or three weeks. I won't deny that it sucks being on cement that long, but it gets way easier.

Best advice? Get a damn good pair of shoes. I was wearing cheap things when I started. $50 steel toe dress shoes made by Dickies. They fell apart, they cut into my feet, they hurt like hell. Now? I recently bought my third pair of work boots in 12 months. This pair cost $185. The soles are some synthetic rubber that was developed specifically for working on cement and I barely feel anything now. www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/6618-red-wing-shoes/6618-red-wing-mens-oxford-black

I have cheap shoes currently. And I mean really cheap.
The only problem is that for now because I am only voluntary, I am on benefits (£100 per 2 weeks - so £50 per week) and can't afford any new ones, even cheap new ones. We have a charity event Thursday and Friday where I HAVE to go in either yellow or fancy dress. I have no money for anything. Luckily though, I have been put in work placement by a company/organisation that helps you find work, do your CV, and help with lots of other stuff. They do supply money for certain things, not too sure what. They usually do for equipment needed and clothing/uniform and also travel expenses.
So I am hoping today, I will go in there and ask them and get it sorted, also mentioning about some new shoes.

I think though, another problem is because I need to cut my toe nails lol.
But I also think the shoes I currently have are slightly too small. My toes seem to touch the very ends, but then that may just be because my nails need cutting. Gonna do them today so we'll see haha.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

I have some cheap $70 KSwiss I like for medium distance walking. My dad has some really nice shoes though, he seems to like them.

gravitydefyer.com/XLR8-II-Brown?sc=17&category=9628

^ what he has.

When you are standing on a cement floor all day, walking shoes do not take care of your feet well enough. The soles are generally not thick enough nor are they strong enough. They are fine while walking for a little while, but when you are standing and lifting 100+ pound parts from crate to crate (not to mention standing for hours on the metal floor of a Stacker), you need more than a typical walking or running shoe.

That and you need steel toes, something your average walking and running shoe lacks. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

When you are standing on a cement floor all day, walking shoes do not take care of your feet well enough.

I don't think I've ever owned shoes (no matter what type) that make it comfortable to stand on cement all day.

My $185 Red Wings shoes do. :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

I don't think I've ever owned shoes (no matter what type) that make it comfortable to stand on cement all day.

Who the hell has that much money to spend on shoes... ?
I think someone needs a pay cut. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Stinky666 Avatar
Josh Avatar

Who the hell has that much money to spend on shoes... ?
I think someone needs a pay cut. :P

Work pays for $100 toward shoes a year. ;)

newBookmarkLockedFalling