Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Ok so.. I have no speakers or headphones to listen to my music. Which is what I used my old headphones for. Also used to use them for movies or tv shows, but mainly music. on my PC.

Now, I am looking to buy some new ones but have no idea what to look for in headphones. The only thing I do know is that I have a somewhat "specific" look I want. For example, I want ones this shape/style but I don't want any in this shape/style. Nor do I want ones that go on your head or round your ear..

I don't want to spend too much on any either. I would say £15 tops.
My other pair cost about £7 and were fine enough until I broke one ear piece haha.

Any help on what to look for for the specs? For example, what makes something have good, crisp quality or anything else..

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You just about strangled me with your requirements there. First off, you'll be hardpressed to get "good, crisp quality" from a <$20 pair of earbuds. Second, you'd be hardpressed to get "good, crisp quality" from any pair of earbuds in that style. The fact is that they do not go far enough into the ear/block enough to prevent enough outside noise from distorting your music.

This is my current pair. I caught them on clearance at Best Buy for $20, original MSRP was $50. I also have a similar pair of Sennheiser's that cost me $70. Sound amazing, but they completely soundproof me and all I hear is strange echos from the outside, which really screws with you. So I stick to my Sony's and AudioTechnica headphones (if you do happen to end up in that market, I would suggest these a thousand times over. Oddly enough, AT liked my Amazon review so much that it was on their website for 18+ months)

That said... my only real suggestion is to scrounge up a little more money (the difference $10 can make in earbuds is substantial) and get a better pair. You may have to relent on your style choice as well, because I have never had a pair that style that gave good sound. (I beat the hell out of my earbuds because I sleep with them in and go through about four pairs a year, so I have tried just about everything just because... why not, right?)

Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 14:44:33 GMT by Josh

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
The sports ones you posted XuzI are a big no no :P
However, these seem very similar if not the same - practically - to the second link.

- Not ignoring you, I just quickly read XuzI's post first because yours is too long for me currently (I am shattered). Will definitely read and reply after I have slept <3

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I have a pair of the sports ones Xuzi posted. They sound great and the little ear thingers that stick up are an amazing addition for when I run. Otherwise, they fall out. And you can take them off for when you're not running for more comfortable listening.

Otherwise, Josh basically summed it up. You're not gonna get the quality you want with those restrictions. However, for some cheaper (cheapER) alternatives to Sennheiser (which is a great brand), try the Zune earbuds. They're like $40 and sound damn-near as good as the pair of Sennheisers I have that i got for...$70? Something like that.

Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 7:06:52 GMT by Lucifer

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
You just about strangled me with your requirements there. First off, you'll be hardpressed to get "good, crisp quality" from a <$20 pair of earbuds. Second, you'd be hardpressed to get "good, crisp quality" from any pair of earbuds in that style. The fact is that they do not go far enough into the ear/block enough to prevent enough outside noise from distorting your music.

This is my current pair. I caught them on clearance at Best Buy for $20, original MSRP was $50. I also have a similar pair of Sennheiser's that cost me $70. Sound amazing, but they completely soundproof me and all I hear is strange echos from the outside, which really screws with you. So I stick to my Sony's and AudioTechnica headphones (if you do happen to end up in that market, I would suggest these a thousand times over. Oddly enough, AT liked my Amazon review so much that it was on their website for 18+ months)

That said... my only real suggestion is to scrounge up a little more money (the difference $10 can make in earbuds is substantial) and get a better pair. You may have to relent on your style choice as well, because I have never had a pair that style that gave good sound. (I beat the hell out of my earbuds because I sleep with them in and go through about four pairs a year, so I have tried just about everything just because... why not, right?)

The first pair you linked me to are $29.99 so I searched for them on .com and the same pair came up as £29.99... I don't get it. Shouldn't they be cheaper in GBP? (The Results (2))

Second pair you linked to are ones I definitely wouldn't want. I really don't like ones that go over/on your head like that. Yeah I'm picky :P

Right so as I see it, my choices are:

One
Two
Three
Four

Other? I don't mind paying £20-£30, but they do need to be worth the money.

digital

digital Avatar

April 2011
I had a pair of cheap panasonic ones which cost me around 7 pound, i thought they were ok at the time. I have now got a new pair of sony ones which cost me 25 pound and i can safely say paying a little bit more makes all the difference and would recommed that you do so.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I went for the "Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black" which set me back £17.99.
I used super save delivery, so they are gonna take 3-5 business days getting here. Fun fun. At least when they come, I will be here and not at work.

newBookmarkLockedFalling