Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I started doing volunteer and I was meant to be on it for 4 weeks (mon-fri) which I have been doing perfectly fine. My time is up on Friday so I don't need to volunteer any more. However, I have asked them if I could stay on and do more volunteering. Which they said yes to.
At first they were fine with it but wasn't sure if I could due to insurance cover and so on, so they had to check for me - which they did and got back to me today.

They also explained that although they can, I would have to sign some forms to say I am aware of Health and Safety and that I am not getting paid. Which I am more than willing to do.

However, here's the bitch of it all. The Jobcentre - I am claiming unemployment (JSA - Job Seekers Allowance) - have said that I can not continue unless I no longer wish to receive my money for benefits.
The only way I can do voluntary work AND continue with my JSA is to do it in a charity shop or something similar...

- They have been constantly moaning at me for not having a job and suggesting that I find volunteer work.
- I finally find somewhere that is great and I am more than willing to work hard at (doing practically anything that is asked/told).
- So many people on the same (or different) benefits who just take the piss. In the sense, they don't look for work. They don't TRY to volunteer or look for work. Yet they get nothing happening.

Though weirdly, I googled the question "can I volunteer while on JSA". It gave me THIS link, which is the direct.gov website, which is official and always up to date etc.

I don't need travel expenses. I don't need ANY money at all.

At the very start of that link it says that you are able to volunteer for as long as you want. Also, let me show you this bit from the link provided:

How voluntary work is defined

In terms of benefits and tax credits, you will be considered as being a volunteer if you:
- do not receive any money for the work you do (this does not include expenses)
- are not legally obliged to volunteer
- do something for a not-for-profit organisation
- do something for someone who is not a family member

The two I have made bold are what I would say "suit me" and make it so I can do voluntary and still get my JSA.
I am definitely not legally obliged to do volunteer work, and where I am doing it currently is not a family friend.

I am so pissed off and confused.
The fact I had NO experience what so ever before doing this, you'd think they'd think "fantastic, he loves the job and is doing great at it, and they want to keep him on". Also, people are leaving in June so I could hopefully be offered a job then when that happens. Which I shall explain to them too.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
xmsteel Avatar
You can work for my charity. It's called "Rototill my backyard". You can start at my house, tomorrow.

Don't go for it, man. I heard that the manager for this project is a dick. ::)
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
xmsteel Avatar

I know, I didn't know what to say at the time. DEAL WITH IT

Piece of advice... if you don't know what to say on an online message board, where you have unlimited time to respond, don't say anything. :)

Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 11:07:55 GMT by Simie

newBookmarkLockedFalling