Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
So how many people know foreign languages? How did you learn them (grew up with both, class, self-study)?

Anyways, right now I'm learning Japanese through self-study. I've already picked up a fair amount, and my goal is to be fairly fluent in 3 months.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I have never been particularly good at learning foreign languages. I always have immense trouble in understanding how verbs and their modifiers work outside of English and, some of the time, French. In general, though, I just stay away from them. I'm much better with computer languages. Which is really sad, just ask Chris. :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
I took three years of Spanish in high school. I barely know any of it though. >.<

I've also been tempted to learn Japanese for a while now. I just haven't. Not sure why.
wat

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Scorpian Avatar
I took three years of Spanish in high school. I barely know any of it though. >.<

I've also been tempted to learn Japanese for a while now. I just haven't. Not sure why.
It's actually really nice how structural the language seems to be. Hiragana isn't too hard to pick up either. I think from learning, I've discovered how retarded English is.

I found a pretty cool site today called italki where the idea is to talk to someone studying your language while you're studying theirs. So you can go on and find Japanese people to chat to or some of them to even Skype with.

さよなら - there's also a tool in windows that allows you to type romaji and have hiragana or katakana output.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I've actually been meaning to start practicing Japanese. My lady friend can speak it and write some of it and whatnot and she's really convincing me to try to learn it since I desperately want to learn another language. Icelandic preferably, but it's so hard to find resources for it...

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
English is my main language, but I've been taking French for five years through school and plan to take a trip to France this summer. Other than that I know a little bit of Spanish, German, and Japanese due to an exploratory language class I took back in junior high.

KuraiOorora

KuraiOorora Avatar

May 2011
I have heard that the Japanese language is a rather difficult to learn, considering that there are thousands of different symbols in the language, each with its own meaning.

Although, I do sometimes consider learning the language myself. It is always good to understand the background of someone's culture.

^Dan-Ball Games Community^

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
KuraiOorora Avatar
I have heard that the Japanese language is a rather difficult to learn, considering that there are thousands of different symbols in the language, each with its own meaning.

Although, I do sometimes consider learning the language myself. It is always good to understand the background of someone's culture.
That's actually Chinese. Japanese typically uses 48 characters, known as Hiragana. There is a "cursive" form, which also has 48 characters known as Katakana, which is derived from Kanji (Chinese characters used for Japanese words). While Kanji does have thousands of symbols, they are very rarely used, and there have been laws passed limiting the number available for use in signs, newspapers, etc. to about 2000 of them. Even then, they usually display the Hiragana above or beside these characters for people who don't know them.

KuraiOorora

KuraiOorora Avatar

May 2011
Ah, I see. Thank you for your provided information.

That makes the thought of learning Japanese much, much more relieving...

^Dan-Ball Games Community^

Streamstrider

Streamstrider Avatar
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up.

Official Member

May 2011
I've taken about four years of Spanish, with teachers from Spain, Ecuador, and the United States. (Granted, I have yet to come across an American instructor I've enjoyed learning the language from.) This past year was my final year taking Spanish. I had been planning to minor in it, but the instructor I had made me lose all motivation for it. Love the language itself, though.

Next semester I'm planning to go to Hong Kong, so I'll probably end up learning Cantonese. Should be rather interesting. I want to learn German and Japanese as well, but they'll have to come later, I suppose. :P

Do you know how to create templates?
Do you love creating graphics? Are you a coder or rater?
I'm looking for people like you to contribute to a resource section on a forum.
If you're interested, please PM me! (It's a ProBoards Forum.)

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
I'm learning Chinese at the moment, but want to learn Japanese and Spanish.

newBookmarkLockedFalling