Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Have you considered being a good person and a gentleman and actually going to her house to help her? Or trying over the phone? Or directing her to a good tech support company? Ya know, instead of just blaming her for the problem and ignoring her requests for help. Anyone buying an 11 year old computer clearly doesn't know much. Don't be an asshole and help her out. Not your problem, sure, but anyone with some decency would at least take a look at it and take a chance at fixing it.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar
Have you considered being a good person and a gentleman and actually going to her house to help her? Or trying over the phone? Or directing her to a good tech support company? Ya know, instead of just blaming her for the problem and ignoring her requests for help. Anyone buying an 11 year old computer clearly doesn't know much. Don't be an asshole and help her out. Not your problem, sure, but anyone with some decency would at least take a look at it and take a chance at fixing it.

Why would I go to her house and help her with something I don't even know is actually true. Who knows she didn't fk something up on purpose or something.

I already suggested a place to take a look at it. Besides, you buy them as is. That's like buying a car from someone and calling them when the engine blows up, you just don't do it. It's your problem, not theirs.

Unless she's being a bitch and blaming you, it sounds like she's just asking for help. You really are just an asshole. Maybe she did fuck something up. Like I said, it doesn't sound like she knows much. So see if you can't fix it for her so she doesn't have to spend money to take it to a professional. What does it matter if it's her fault? It's called being a nice guy.

Also, it's entirely possible that you're incompetent and the problem existed before you sold it, but because you don't know what you're fucking doing, you didn't catch it when you "tested" it.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
That's like buying a car from someone and calling them when the engine blows up, you just don't do it. It's your problem, not theirs.

Unless the sale specifically states "as-is", you have a case against the person (this is assuming it blew up from neglect and they obviously know they're neglecting it).

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
it took a bunch of anonymous people on the internet to tell you that helping an elderly woman is a thing you should do

what

what

what

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
She knows how to fix it. She just wants to touch Xuzi here in inappropriate ways. Hey, old ladies need lovin too.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quinine Avatar
it took a bunch of anonymous people on the internet to tell you that helping an elderly woman is a thing you should do

what

what

what

in the butt?

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
xmsteel Avatar
She was only like 30 years old and had a husband :P

Xuzi, you dog. I believe a high five is in order.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Deko Avatar
xmsteel Avatar
She was only like 30 years old and had a husband :P

Xuzi, you dog. I believe a high five is in order.

This actually made me laugh.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
See, that was pretty painless, wasn't it? :P But well played Deko.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Chris Avatar
See, that was pretty painless, wasn't it? :P But well played Deko.

No, actually it wasn't.

I spent at least $10 in gas and 5 hours of labor for nothing, because they couldn't tell a DVD from a CD.

..that should've been one of the first things you checked :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Unless she lives in another city, $10 in gas is an exaggeration (or you need to buy a new car that runs... 'cause my Blazer gets better gas mileage than that) and the 5 hours of labor is your own fault if "it won't run this CD" is the issue, purely based off what Jim said.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
xmsteel Avatar
They do live in another city. And how do you know I didn't travel back and forth multiple times? (Because I actually did).

And how is it my fault that they don't know how to use a CD drive? It was for CDROM only and THEY put a dvd in it and claimed it didn't work.

I don't see why I am at fault for that.

Also, they didn't simply tell me what was wrong, or else I could have helped. They said the computer was "stuck" on the desktop screen and the CDROM drive didn't show under "My Computer". Not that it couldn't read the CD.

Why did you travel multiple times? Because you couldn't solve it the first?

Again, with what Jim said, it should have been easy to debug. "CDROM drive won't show." Then you check Windows Explorer. If the icon is there, check the contents of the drive (i.e. the DVD.) Assume it's a faulty disc (more often the problem than a broken drive.*) Try another disc. At this point, things should start to click based on what happened. :P If a music CD works, assume the disk originally used is faulty. At that point, you'd notice a DVD vs CDROM drive. If the music CD doesn't work, hardware/drivers issue.

Notice how I never assumed to even check if it's a DVD vs CDROM. I just used a standard debugging process of changing one thing at a time. By determining the original CD (DVD) is "broken," we'd get to there being a conflict of some kind. The CDROM vs DVD then emerges.

*shrugs* Either way, I don't think it should have taken you 5 hours to debug and that you're either exaggerating or you need to learn how to debug your computer better.

On the other hand, I am glad you did go out there, "painless" or not. Helping someone out with a purchased item will often lead to good word of mouth. Sadly that doesn't mean as much on Craigslist as it does on eBay or if you own a business/store. But be prepared to have to do things like this in the real world when you quit living with your parents/hold a real job.

* Ironically, my laptop won't burn CDs currently and it isn't the CDs. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Please note this is a computer from 2000 that was running windows 98. It was a CD-ROM ONLY drive. Nothing was wrong with it, nor with the DVD they used.

The reason I did not check that is because we did most chatting over text/phone. They made it sound as if the computer was actually having a problem, Please take note once again, NOTHING WAS WRONG.

Regardless, there's still a logical order of steps to take when debugging anything. Had you followed those as Chris laid out, you'd have been done in half an hour.

xmsteel Avatar
Also, to add to it I told them I would attempt to put 98 back on instead of XP. I didn't have a 98 disk and had to get one from a friend the next day, and it still didn't work because of the format version of the hdd after installing XP. (98 needs FAT and xp uses NTFS)

XP could use both FAT32 and NTFS, your wording makes it sound as though NTFS is all it'd use.

Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011 2:33:47 GMT by Jim

newBookmarkLockedFalling