Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I buy games on Steam compulsively. The moment a good enough deal hits a game I want (usually no less than 50% off), I buy it. In the last week, I've bought 20 games. The week before, I bought 6 at least (that includes DLC). Seriously, I can't stop. I once bought like 30 games in one night because it was a good enough deal. At first I used to joke that I have an addiction, but I'm trying to save money and last night, I bought another game and its DLC. Today, not even thinking, 4 more games. I don't know how to stop. :(

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Uninstall Steam. Done.

Or get rid of your credit card.

Better question: How can you afford them? :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Uninstall Steam. Done.

Your tax dollars hard at work. That's how.

Luci: I kid.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
xmsteel Avatar
Too bad Steam/Valve sucks ass.

Sure, their games are cool, but the company in itself is terrible.

I fail to understand how you could possibly hate Valve. Their games are great and their determination to give their customers their money's worth is far greater than any other company I've seen. Why on earth do you have against them?

Last Edit: Jul 6, 2011 0:54:48 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
xmsteel Avatar

Um... What? Why is Valve a terrible company?
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
xmsteel Avatar

In following with the above posts... please elaborate. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Chris Avatar
Uninstall Steam. Done.

Your tax dollars hard at work. That's how.

Luci: I kid.

No, that's pretty much right. I have a steady paycheck, so...yup. :|

Also, as if it hasn't been requested enough, Xuzi, please enlighten us as to why Valve sucks. The Steam software has issues at times, sure, but beyond that, Steam (and Valve as a whole) is wonderful.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Meanwhile, at Valve...

(kinda random, but as far as I'm concerned, worth it.)
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Lol, XuZi leaves SZ instead of answering?

Wow

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
You're annoyed about VAC? The only problem I've ever had with it is it doesn't ban hackers fast enough.

Source sucks? It runs on the most ridiculously low spec hardware, and looks great on the high end hardware. What more do you want?

Steam In-Game is just a natural evolution of their original friend system, no doubt inspired by x-fire. Competition is healthy, no?

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
The in-game overlay suffers from certain programs running in the background. For example, it's been confirmed that certain antivirus programs don't like to play nicely with steam. That's mostly the fault of the antivirus software though, and there isn't much Valve can do about it. No company can create software that's guaranteed to run perfectly on all hardware/software setups. If you notice problems with any type of software, after confirming that it's installed correctly, the best thing to do is to look at software running alongside it. Again, antivirus software doesn't like to play nice with other programs all the time.

As for VAC... have you ever played on a server that isn't VAC protected before? Try that and see how it works out. You'll notice pretty fast that there's a good reason why they don't tend to be very popular. The system itself is not perfect, but it's necessary. All Valve multiplayer games would be unplayable if it weren't for VAC. Yes, it has had a few times in the past where it's issued erroneous bans, but those have all since been reversed. Unacceptable? Try comparing it to other anti-cheating services. Hell, if you even mention "PunkBusters" in most gaming communities, everybody will immediately tell you to shut up. :P (Also, their website never claimed that the serviced is 100% perfect. If anything, that was a user on the steam forums, not even a Valve representative.)

Source is the exact opposite from terrible. Its flexibility and scalability is far greater than any other engine out there. Since its introduction in 2003, it's evolved to be a strong competitor with the most advanced engines of today. And, thanks to the design of source, all of those upgrades have been easy to port to all of Valve's games. Half-Life 2, released in 2004, runs on a 2010 build of source.

Also, xfire created an in-game chat system first. Therefore, they get to hold a monopoly on the entire idea? Um, hello? America? Also, this is Valve. They noticed that a system like that is what their customers wanted, so it only makes sense that they would create one.

Yeah, kind-of a rant post, but I'm sure XuZi will read it. There's no way he's gone forever. We all know that. :P
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
xmsteel Avatar

I've never had a problem with punkbuster. Not on CoD2 nor BF2142. Call me and idiot but I don't see nor have a problem with punkbuster.

While I'm kinda okay with you bashing VAC, saying that Punkbuster is better is definitely a good reason to call you an idiot.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I can't really argue in favor of anything other than that I've been using Steam for years and never had a single issue. I mean, I once had my Steam account locked because of an issue with PayPal, but as soon as I resolved the issue with PayPal (and stopped using it), I got the issue with my account resolved. What is there to complain about?

newBookmarkLockedFalling