Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

mashable.com/2011/07/15/harry-potter-midnight-box-office-record/

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 took in $43.5 million at the midnight box office in North America — the biggest midnight opening of all time."

Not surprised at all to be honest. I didn't, and don't plan to, see it. Never really been into it =\
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Analysts expect it to hit $180 million (TDK has the current record at $158 million) domestic in the opening weekend. It took in a record $92 million on its opening day. Current estimates have it hitting $1 billion domestic (second film to ever do so, the first being Avatar) in under 5 weeks. I doubt it will touch Avatar's $2.72 billion world wide box office, however. I'd be surprised if it breaks $2 billion (no other film has)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Analysts expect it to hit $180 million (TDK has the current record at $158 million) domestic in the opening weekend. It took in a record $92 million on its opening day. Current estimates have it hitting $1 billion domestic (second film to ever do so, the first being Avatar) in under 5 weeks. I doubt it will touch Avatar's $2.72 billion world wide box office, however. I'd be surprised if it breaks $2 billion (no other film has)

I'm curious if you're underestimating the fandom of some nerds. :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
It's been insane. My theater has been ridiculously busy over the past few days. We sold out 16/19 screens for midnight showings (two were overflow theaters and one has a faulty projector), and every single showing of HP7 since then has sold very well. There were huge lines for all of them. It's nuts, man. :P
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
They hit $168 million. New record.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
They hit $168 million. New record.

Doesn't that mean it still fell short though?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Not really. They over-performed outside the US by about $25 million.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar

Nice. :P You just said $180m was the estimate and they hit $168m.

xkaymex
It's crazy, but I'm not surprised. I personally was disappointed in it, but it was still a darn good movie. And as it's the last of an epic series, it's only fitting! McGonagall was my favorite character in that movie, though. She was beyond amazing. Our theater was going nuts during the whole movie, which I haven't really seen from many others, so it makes sense why it's doing so well.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Josh Avatar

Nice. :P You just said $180m was the estimate and they hit $168m.

Domestic. They made nearly $500 million total.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I feel like my childhood just ended.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar

OOOOH. That's what you mean. Well, in reality, your childhood should've ended when you finished the 7th book because no matter how much of a movie buff you are, fact of the matter is that the story ended with the book, not this movie.

xkaymex
Josh Avatar

I make myself feel better by continuing the story in my imagination. I don't want to believe it's over yet. >.>

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

OOOOH. That's what you mean. Well, in reality, your childhood should've ended when you finished the 7th book because no matter how much of a movie buff you are, fact of the matter is that the story ended with the book, not this movie.

I have read those 7 books a grand total of roughly 250 times. They had more to do with my up bringing than anything else. The film I saw tonight was the last piece of them. I grew up with those books and, in turn, the movies. I do feel like something ended tonight, something I did not feel when I finished the epilogue while on vacation in Orlando when the book came out. It is truly over now. And... I will be honest and say that it hurts a bit realizing that.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Sweet. Now design SZv3 since you're a man. :P

I honestly never even read the 6th or 7th books. I hardly remember the first five. The movies aren't any more fresh. I'll see 7pt2 and 7pt1 when pt2 comes out on DVD.

newBookmarkLockedFalling