Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

The newest version of OS X is now for sale in the App Store for only 29.99. Anyone getting it? :P
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I'll get it for my MacBook (they discontinued the MacBook line. :(), but that isn't my main machine anymore so it won't see much use from me.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Anything new that's worth hearing about? :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Mac OS X Lion, Now with 250 more iOS features.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Well, I got it. It's got a load of fancy UI tweaks which are nice. The scrolling is now reversed, which for some reason doesn't seem to bother me, I actually like it this way. I love the fullscreening of apps. I love the animations between fullscreen apps. Dialogue boxes now zoom in and out instead of just appearing. The installer deleted itself before I could use it to install Lion on my other mac.

Definitely worth £20

EDIT: They removed the cmd-shift-volume shortcut to fine-tune the volume. Maybe that £20 wasn't so well spent

Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011 20:11:27 GMT by Simie

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Downloading as we speak. 500 megs downloaded in under 10 minutes. Go Apple's new mega data center.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Interesting that they switched the scrolling direction. I assume you mean the two-finger scroll? Just makes me question it since two fingers down is like a scrollbar, but two fingers up is like the way it is on the iPhone/iPad. :P Just interesting that they could switch so easily.

xkaymex
I'm thinking about getting it myself. A lot of it has to do with my desire to have the latest OS if I can help it, but some of the new stuff looks great. There's a good, huge review on Ars Technica about it that explains everything in more details than you could ever want.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I am really disliking a lot of stuff in Lion.

xkaymex
Josh Avatar
I am really disliking a lot of stuff in Lion.

Like what? D: I know their new OSs like to mess with stuff but they're usually reversible in the options at least... hopefully it's the same here.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
-They reversed the scrolling. It is intuitive on a phone, feels natural. Not so much on a trackpad and even less so on a mouse
-LaunchPad is great... for apps you buy in the app store. For everything you install yourself, it is an absolute mess
-The loss of Expose is tough to stomach. Mission Control is interesting and it is nice to have multiple wallpapers but it is far from a viable replacement. The inability to arrange in a grid (thus limiting possible spaces you can move to from 3-4 to 1-2) and to permanently attach an app to a certain space is troubling and difficult to work around
-Full screen apps... I still do not get the reasoning behind this. It works for games, of course, and some utilities like the great Weather HD (yay for finally coming to OS X), but... it has no real use in things like Safari or Mail or iTunes. Computers are for multitasking and being able to see what else is going on with your computer is essential to this
-I don't like that some apps don't like to close when you tell them to now. I just quit out of Weather HD and it didn't close out for real until I used a Force Close. I get that Apple has implemented a "smart close system" but Weather HD was causing my machine to run at freaking 180F, 50F above normal. That is unacceptable.
-Windows can now be resized from all sides of the window, regardless of it having a border or not. I know that this is convenient, but I firmly believe that this is actually counter-intuitive and actually hurts usability (and is distracting to see your cursor change every time it moves across a window edge)
-I have been asked five times since installing 4 hours ago to input my login information for various services (AOL, Google, etc.) and despite continuously telling it a resounding no, it keeps bugging me about it. I do not want to provide these details, yet it keeps on asking and asking for me to provide them.
-They have completely destroyed their once revered Human Interface Guidelines, especially with things like iCal and Address Book. This is not iOS, and each app should not have some new and interesting interface. Address Book should not pop up looking like an address book, looking like a Java-based Windows XP app would. It just does not mesh. We need unity, not flashy graphics
-As with Final Cut "Pro", Apple has dumbed down their software to appeal to the lowest denominator in an apparent cash grab. All the while, they ignore and push away the customer base that has gotten them this far by making products that are no longer doable pieces of tech for power users.

For the first time, I can honestly and truly say that I am happy I made the switch 8 or so months ago to move back to Windows. Lion, thus far, was a waste of $30 and I am contemplating going back to Snow Leopard.

Last Edit: Jul 21, 2011 2:29:39 GMT by Josh

xkaymex
Using it now, there are a few things I'm annoyed about as well. The inverted scrolling was a pain, but at least you can reverse that. But apparently they took out key repeating. Instead, when you press and hold a key, a menu comes up with variations of that letter.

Lion is basically the first step into turning Mac OS into a smartphone. >_<;' It looks good, and some things are neat, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on it. Maybe if they get their heads together and start making changes.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Apparently none of you have been paying attention to "the future of the mac" speaches :P

Basically, they plan to "blur the lines between OSx and iOS". In other words, they are going to become practically one in the same.

Windows has almost the same vision with windows 8.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Apparently none of you have been paying attention to "the future of the mac" speaches :P

Basically, they plan to "blur the lines between OSx and iOS". In other words, they are going to become practically one in the same.

Fredy: think about what you just said. :P I have been an Apple fanboy for years.

That said, they aren't doing that with Windows 8. 8 just has a touch friendly alternative interface, Aero is still the primary interface.

xkaymex
Andrew McGivery Avatar

Nope. :X It's been ages since I watched one of the last keynotes. I had heard a little about it, but I didn't think the result would be this... weird.

newBookmarkLockedFalling