Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I have no intention to ever upgrade to Lion. I think blurring the line between iOS and OS X is a big mistake on Apple's end.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Apparently none of you have been paying attention to "the future of the mac" speaches :P

Basically, they plan to "blur the lines between OSx and iOS". In other words, they are going to become practically one in the same.

Windows has almost the same vision with windows 8.

Fredy: think about what you just said. :P I have been an Apple fanboy for years.

That said, they aren't doing that with Windows 8. 8 just has a touch friendly alternative interface, Aero is still the primary interface.

They are doing alot of work to make an operating system that can run either on a PC or a tablet, and also one that is familiar to windows phone users. I'd say they are doing it.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Josh Avatar

Fredy: think about what you just said. :P I have been an Apple fanboy for years.

That said, they aren't doing that with Windows 8. 8 just has a touch friendly alternative interface, Aero is still the primary interface.

They are doing alot of work to make an operating system that can run either on a PC or a tablet, and also one that is familiar to windows phone users. I'd say they are doing it.

But they are not blurring it at all. The Metro interface runs as an alternative to Aero. You pick on. Metro is for tablets, Aero is for PCs. They are trying to consolidate, sure, but not nearly in the manner that Apple has.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Benjamin Avatar
I have no intention to ever upgrade to Lion. I think blurring the line between iOS and OS X is a big mistake on Apple's end.

Have you tried it? You might not be, but it sounds like you're just bandwagoning with the haters.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Honestly, after reading Engadget's review, I'd say most of the updates are worth the upgrade. :P

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar
Honestly, after reading Engadget's review, I'd say most of the updates are worth the upgrade. :P

I've been using it since release and haven't found anything major I dislike, but plenty of nice little features I do like.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Simie Avatar
Benjamin Avatar

Have you tried it? You might not be, but it sounds like you're just bandwagoning with the haters.

I went to the apple store today to try it and didn't really like most of it. :/
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Benjamin Avatar
Simie Avatar

What parts though? :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Benjamin Avatar

What parts though? :P

Ben's likes interface design just like I do. He hates it all because they ruined the human interactivity parts of it, just like me. :P

xkaymex
I randomly encounter new things they did every day. For one, you can't close files by closing the program anymore. Or rather, you can, but it will 'remember' it and open it the next time you open the program. For example, I opened something in Preview, then Command + Q'd out. I later opened another image, and that one opened, but so did the one I had open before. After some experimenting I found out there's an option you can disable in System Preferences, but before that it was irritating the heck out of me. xD

Also, for some reason I don't know, they moved Preview's sidebar to the left from the right, and there's no way to put it back. :| I don't dislike change or anything but... what's the point? D:

That said, I am liking Launchpad, as simple as it is. <3

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Also, for some reason I don't know, they moved Preview's sidebar to the left from the right, and there's no way to put it back. :| I don't dislike change or anything but... what's the point? D:

Consistency. Every other sidebar is on the left hand size, why was Preview on the right?

xkaymex
Josh Avatar

Consistency. Every other sidebar is on the left hand size, why was Preview on the right?

That's fair... kind of wish all these changes they made were at least options we could mess with, though.

Oh, and any idea what happened to that button in the upper right corner of windows that showed/hid the toolbars? There are menu commands, but the hotkeys differ for each program so it's annoying. :x

Edit: YAY I found a way to disable that dumb key repeat thing.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Into Terminal, then restart. Going to try that out. Hooray internet.

Last Edit: Jul 23, 2011 20:08:50 GMT by xkaymex

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'm surprised they don't have easier regression options actually. I suppose it's too much work to support -every- change.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
xkaymex Avatar

Edit: YAY I found a way to disable that dumb key repeat thing.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Into Terminal, then restart. Going to try that out. Hooray internet.

Thanks!

newBookmarkLockedFalling