Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

“While we’ve learned a huge amount by launching very early prototypes in Labs, we believe that greater focus is crucial if we’re to make the most of the extraordinary opportunities ahead.”
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Well, that's sad... they were some of the best features for Gmail. :P Was it actually integrated with anything else?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Well, that's sad... they were some of the best features for Gmail. :P Was it actually integrated with anything else?

Every single app, bar Search and Youtube, I believe, had Labs features.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Chris Avatar

They're only closing www.googlelabs.com/. The Gmail labs will still be active!

source.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Benjamin Avatar
Chris Avatar

source.

You see... I thought the same thing at first and then read more and thought it was every single Google Labs. Glad to see it's not Gmail Labs or anything.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Benjamin Avatar
Chris Avatar

source.

Woot. :D Ok, that helps alleviate fears. :P

xkaymex
Benjamin Avatar
Chris Avatar

source.

Yay! Thank goodness. Gmail Labs are amazing. D:

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
I use Labs all the time, mostly for business via Google Apps. I hope they don't retire the Labs from Apps. About 30% of my entire Google footprint is sustained by Labs stuff. My current favorite being custom domain URL shortening similar to goo.gl.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
zelldenver Avatar
Jul 28, 2011 10:54:04 GMT @zelldenver said:
I use Labs all the time, mostly for business via Google Apps. I hope they don't retire the Labs from Apps. About 30% of my entire Google footprint is sustained by Labs stuff. My current favorite being custom domain URL shortening similar to goo.gl.

Zell, first off welcome back, second off... read the thread. :P The Google Labs code project repository is going offline, not the beta testing features.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
Really? I missed the thing about it being the code part. It still sucks though. And thanks for the welcome.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
zelldenver Avatar
Jul 28, 2011 10:54:04 GMT @zelldenver said:

I used the Apps link shortener once, but didn't really care for it because I wanted one that others (outside of my "organization") could use as well, but couldn't find that option anywhere.

So I went my own route.

Nice to see you again, Zell :)
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
If you're talking about being usable without being logged in, you can set the parameter to 'public'. You have to either check it each time, or use the 'public shortlink bookmarklet'. Nice to see you too!

Sorry for darting off topic by the way.

Edit:
I just realized that you're probably talking about where external users could use the app as a shortening service rather than just access the links. I think there is an API for that but I'm unsure.

Last Edit: Jul 29, 2011 8:22:57 GMT by Deleted

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
zelldenver Avatar
Jul 29, 2011 8:19:14 GMT @zelldenver said:
I just realized that you're probably talking about where external users could use the app as a shortening service rather than just access the links. I think there is an API for that but I'm unsure.

Precisely. :)

Either way, this is a great Labs feature that they've created, and hopefully they'll still focus on developing features like these. (I think the Google Labs group is a different team than the google apps / gmail labs)
Lucifer Avatar

newBookmarkLockedFalling