Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

...hearing loss.

Yep, smoking may cause hearing loss.

"...found that exposure to tobacco smoke exposure was linked to a two-fold increase of hearing loss risk."

source: www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/07/19/138492598/among-youths-secondhand-smoke-may-be-linked-to-hearing-loss?ps=sh_stcatimg
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So start smoking. This says nothing about first-hand smoke affecting hearing loss.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Fuck smokers. I cannot breathe around the stuff. :(

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar

Same. Interesting that hearing is related to it though. :P Doesn't exactly make a lot of sense.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Why not? Ears, nose, and throat are all connected. An ear infection causes major fluid buildup in your throat. Strep throat causes your nose to burn. If it can affect one, it seems obvious that it can affect the others as well.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Why not? Ears, nose, and throat are all connected. An ear infection causes major fluid buildup in your throat. Strep throat causes your nose to burn. If it can affect one, it seems obvious that it can affect the others as well.

... touche.

xkaymex
Yet sadly I don't think this will convince many people to stop smoking. If what we have already doesn't work... >.> Can't stand being around smoke, but some people have to do it, so meh.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar

THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT MAKES SENSE, JOSH.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
xkaymex Avatar
Yet sadly I don't think this will convince many people to stop smoking. If what we have already doesn't work... >.> Can't stand being around smoke, but some people have to do it, so meh.

And this is why I don't ride in the same car as my mother anymore.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
They've been going on about this for years in the UK. Particularly infants/babies and ear infections.

Lucifer Avatar
So start smoking. This says nothing about first-hand smoke affecting hearing loss.
Smoke gets in the ear canal and stuff, your ear responds b producing loads more wax, which could lead to labyrinthitis or even otitis media (inner infection), so unless you smoke through your ears, it's passive.

Josh Avatar

I'm one of those ultra PC smokers. I don't smoke if a nonsmoker is anywhere near me. I don't even smoke in my own house if there's a nonsmoker visiting.

Last Edit: Jul 28, 2011 7:24:53 GMT by Deleted

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
zelldenver Avatar
Jul 28, 2011 7:20:05 GMT @zelldenver said:

Josh Avatar

I'm one of those ultra PC smokers. I don't smoke if a nonsmoker is anywhere near me. I don't even smoke in my own house if there's a nonsmoker visiting.

You are one of the few, then. I had to kick someone out of the house on Saturday during my brother's graduation party. That did not go over very well.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
If I'm honest, Josh, I detest inconsiderate smokers. They ruin it for everyone.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
zelldenver Avatar

Josh Avatar

I was the same way when I smoked. To the point of me actually quitting for my girlfriend (something I said I'd never do simply on principle).

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
zelldenver Avatar

You are one of the few, then. I had to kick someone out of the house on Saturday during my brother's graduation party. That did not go over very well.

... He was smoking in your house? that's just a little rude.

newBookmarkLockedFalling