Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
I recently found 2 IP addresses in my router log. They were clearly there without permission. My response was the usual, "you wanna bet, sunshine?"

After some quick research I found that the IPs were both blacklisted spam IPs and there were a few references to some "Chinese script kiddies" on both IPs

What would the moral and ethical ramifications be to reversing the tables on these perps. In the UK, launching/participating in a DDoS attack is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Now, I don't have a botnet or anything, but I do have a formidable network infrastructure, and glass fiber speeds that would likely surpass any Chinese based botnet.

How far would that leeway (if any) go? I mean DDoS attacks don't physically damage hardware by nature.

I guess in summary, when you look at chess, move, counter move, et cetera. In war, move, retaliation. Would one be content at just running round the proverbial castle patching holes? When can one ethically retaliate in the interest of ones security to ensure the threat is nullified?

Just a thought.

Last Edit: Aug 8, 2011 15:24:52 GMT by Deleted

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
lolwut?
k

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
Essentially the question is: Is it right to counter a DoS attack with another?

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
zelldenver Avatar
Aug 8, 2011 16:59:14 GMT @zelldenver said:
Essentially the question is: Is it right to counter a DoS attack with another?

Yes, along with a power surge that'll fry the original host computer.

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
I say go for it. 'Cause life ain't nothin but bitches and money...wait, that doesn't apply to this situation.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I don't wanna suggest anything that'd get you in trouble, but it would be hilarious for them to get DOSed... :P

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
Oh no, it's purely hypothetical. My firewall is configured to prevent outgoing DoS attacks (default). It would be ironic though. It seems that ISPs generally don't do much on their side to prevent such.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Oh, in terms of hypothetical... it'd be awesome. And quite the appropriate vengeance. :P

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Deko Avatar
I say go for it. 'Cause life ain't nothin but bitches and money...wait, that doesn't apply to this situation.

Bitches and money apply to every situation.
Signature coming~

Hechizero

Hechizero Avatar
Blessed With Magic

October 2010
Yes, yes it is. For a possible take of the ethics regarding cyber attacks you can read the article "The Ethics of Cyber Conflict" where the author proposes using the 'international law of armed conflict'. Of course, this represents only one possible point of view, and I disagree in a couple of points, but nonetheless it "sounds" partially complete.

~Hechizero

newBookmarkLockedFalling