Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
Cloud gaming seems to be launching mainstream in the UK in late September. Steam was a success, will this next level towards not having games be just as successful, or just another sucker-you-in ploy like various MMORPGs?..

More:
www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/11/onlive-uk-launch-date

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I didn't even know that was a service that already existed in the US... I could just be entirely out of the loop though.

I don't really understand how this system works. I mean, some broadband connections even have trouble playing games like COD, where it just has to synchronize data between the client and server. But streaming the entire game realtime as well? I don't think it could be very successful.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
I totally agree. There has to be some sort of caching involved. But then you have to consider, we have weird 'fair use' policies that stealthily cap the downloads at about 10GB per month and ISPs actively engage in bandwidth throttling. How big is CoD? 'Bout 8 gig? It's impractical in my opinion.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It's still an interesting premise though. Things moving towards the cloud in general are always interesting. :P

But yeah, closest service I know is Steam.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
GameFly also announced a similar deal recently for the US and I believe RedBox is also looking into it (RedBox is having tremendous success after adding video games to its kiosks)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
... RedBox added games?! Woah.

Also, how long til we see Netflix offering games too? :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Netflix has said on countless occasions it has no interest in the gaming market. Movies, TV, and possibly music seem to be their gig. There have been some rumors on Twitter saying Netflix could start broadcasting live concerts, too. Though nothing substantial has popped up about it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
When did they get into music? o.O I don't remember ever hearing anything about that.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
possibly music

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

January 1970
They'd be stupid to not jump on the game-train, IMO.

newBookmarkLockedFalling