Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, is anyone taking anything interesting class wise this semester?

I'm currently starting to get into my business minor, so finance theory + a study of how organizations work.

My only computer science class is a writing class. We're focusing on system design and have already studied things like RAID, bittorrent, and the UNIX OS.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
I'm currently taking a Geography class, which (I hope) is the last core class I need to get out of the way before I can transfer to Sam Houston and get into the juicy business classes. ^_^
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Scorpian Avatar
I'm currently taking a Geography class, which (I hope) is the last core class I need to get out of the way before I can transfer to Sam Houston and get into the juicy business classes. ^_^

You're only taking one? o.O Lucky.

virtuoso92

virtuoso92 Avatar

April 2012
I'm in a painfully uninteresting engineering program, but I've got a pretty cool database course. I've gotten to sink my teeth into relational algebra which I haven't had a chance to do in the past.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
virtuoso92 Avatar
I'm in a painfully uninteresting engineering program, but I've got a pretty cool database course. I've gotten to sink my teeth into relational algebra which I haven't had a chance to do in the past.

Can't say I've ever heard of relational algebra. :P You said engineering, but talk about databases.... so I can't even assume which field. CS? Mechanical?

virtuoso92

virtuoso92 Avatar

April 2012
Chris Avatar
virtuoso92 Avatar

Can't say I've ever heard of relational algebra. :P You said engineering, but talk about databases.... so I can't even assume which field. CS? Mechanical?

I'm in Industrial/Systems, actually. Relational Algebra is essentially the logic behind "relational databases" (i.e MySQL). The various commands (SELECT, SELECT FROM, INSERT, UNION) are all variants of a lower-level logical "algebraic" structure.

Here's a pretty good article explaining the ideas: www.databasteknik.se/webbkursen/relalg-lecture/index.html

Given your background you'll probably find it pretty interesting.

Last Edit: Apr 8, 2012 21:15:26 GMT by virtuoso92

newBookmarkLockedFalling