Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
Okay because of my forum type i thought i should brush up on some things, code related. Like

How can you spot a copyrighted code, its obvious if there's a name there. but what if that name has been changed or the code itself has been altered?

What links are acceptable, for software purposes and html use. Are there any that are considered wrong or what not?

I sent a private message to Chris because i see he helped code SZ but i haven't heard back and so i thought it would be a good idea to get everyones hints and tips on codes and how to spot a ripper.

kathy025
"he helped code SZ"

Basically, Chris coded the entire SZ. :) I do have my pending code requests and support threads myself but he appears to be very busy at the moment. For sure though, he always responds, just a bit of patience.

It's common to have the same code done by different coders because they all have their style of coding. To spot rippers, I try to compare the lines of codes. XD

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
Right so are you saying that the only way to see if a code is unique and not ripped, is to look at the code; line by line to see if its different?

kathy025
Not line by line, maybe certain parts of it. Why, do you think you've spotted a ripper?

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
Most significant codes have a section at the top that prohibits editing/ripping etc. If that's been removed, then it can be somewhat hard to trace who has coded the piece. Some coders use the same variables throughout their codes - e.g. Chris defines tables as 'aTD'.

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
No Kathy, i just hired a guy on my forum to give hints and tips on codes since he said he was the bee's knees. He has provided me with a few posts, which is always a plus but as i don't know him i dunno' just hard to see if he's genuine and such.

JD so lets say my guy does some coding of his own, he does 3 or more codes for me; all his codes will have his own personal signature/give away's to say that okay these could be his codes?

kathy025
Checked your board, I guess I know who it is. It's easy to grab someone's code and stick your name in the the header.

Try to request a code from him, a unique one, or at least a code that has not been written too many times. See how long it takes for him to write it.

EDIT:
Checked the guy's website. Not to be a grammar nazi, but he can't even get his basic spelling right. Spelling is like code syntax and coders cannot afford typos. Not exactly what I would expect from an experienced coder he so implies in his intro. His website isn't even exactly... "pretty" if you get what I mean. I dunno, seems kinda iffy to me.

Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012 20:42:29 GMT by kathy025

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
mhm his English isn't too good that's for sure. He has shown me his version of the menu button's hover code, erm where they change color when hovered over. Other than that, he's just being useful at the moment, by posting what he thinks are helpful links for coding such as free software, does and don'ts etc. I will definitely be keeping my eye on him and his movements, if i spot something that makes me doubt his capabilities even more so then who can i ask to confirm these doubts?

kathy025
Unfortunately, no one in particular for such situations. When I spotted a ripper of Scorpian's Pure Crystal template, I notified him through the thread and via PM, but that's because I knew who the creator of the template was. You see, there's really no fool-proof way of confirming rippers, it takes a lot of experience and familiarity with existing ProBoards codes and premades.

Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012 3:42:11 GMT by kathy025

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
yeah so true, ah well. all i can do for now then, is sit and wait lol

thanks for all your replies kathy

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
If you want me to take a look, I can if you post/pm the link to your board.

My codes have been ripped from here before -- it really gets up my nose when people do it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, no particularly easy way to determine ripped codes without recognizing styles of code writing. Everyone has their own style.... as JD said, I use aTD or aFO, etc... most of my elementsByTagName variables are prefixed with an "a"... a style I got while learning (I might have taken it from Naruto I think?), but very few people use it.

When in doubt, just ask a coder at a forum. :)

kathy025
And some coders have interesting variables! I remember Crazy_J and iAlex. :D

Welshling

Welshling Avatar

Official Member

June 2012
Thanks everyone for your replies, if the suspect starts adding some of his own coding threads or goes into the headers/footers i will let you guys take a look at his handy work so to speak. Until then, he hasn't done anything yet he's just being helpful which is good, but i'm cautious because i don't know him, understand half of what you just said up there and or he doesn't speak good English. which i know is a must when coding, so at this moment in time. its just a bad feeling ya know?

kathy025
Ok as long as he's not doing anything fishy as of the moment. Should you ever start having doubts, SZ is here!

Know what, I might actually drop by your forum from time to time. Just to check out the codes your "coder" has written. Hopefully, you keep your coding board open to guests. I've been around ProBoards since 2006 and combed entire code indexes for quite... a long while. I might be able to recognize a thing or two. ;)

newBookmarkLockedFalling