Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
So do you all buy into the hype of scary places from the media? Like most of Mexico because of the drug cartel issues? I live about two hours away from Tijuana (Mexican border city with San Diego) and honestly I am beyond curious about it. Everyone says it is not safe and points to the drug cartels and corrupt police. Should this be a legitimate reason to write it off? Juarez that borders El Paso is also considered unsafe. Someone at work said they would never go to El Paso just because it borders El Paso. Do you think there is any spillover to the US border cities? The stats and media act like not, but do you just think that might be because it's just not reported? What about cities in the US with bad reps like Baltimore and Detroit? Do you think they are overhyped. Baltimore was very much like any other city in the sense it had good parts and bad parts... Thoughts?
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I've never put much thought into it. I'm sure it's a bit blown out of proportion, but I'm also sure that the cause for alarm is at least based on real incidents.... so that means there's some backing.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Most things are exaggerated. It's more exciting that way and people WANT to buy into the excitement. Like Chris said, there is some real data to support it, but it's still generally overhyped. Chicago has a bad rep, too, but I've never had a problem. I've drunkenly wandered into some especially shady parts of town and met some real interesting characters in my time there, but I'm still alive. Just be smart and remember that most of the crime that happens isn't random. Most of these statistics are composed of people who were specifically targeted out. Drive by shootings are dangerous for anyone in the area, but mostly for the intended recipient. Assuming you're just visiting and have no connections with any nefarious people in the area, you're probably gonna be fine so long as you don't do anything especially stupid (which could be said about ANY city or town, regardless of its reputation).

Last Edit: Mar 31, 2013 22:40:10 GMT by Lucifer

newBookmarkLockedFalling