Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
fredy said:
you should have an ibility that allows people to donate money to other users...or items and ect.

Yeah, do that. My RPG has mercenaries, so there has to be a way to pay them.

cddude229 said:
Yeah, I updated it in the post but didn't post again. :P

It'll be JS only from here on out, cause ZT pointed out I'd probably crash my host.

Is that only if it's PHP that it'll crash? Because it'd be so much nicer if you still hosted it. I hate adding long codes... ::)

Also, will the items have pictures?

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 21:29:13 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Pictures are addable for all items/classes/races/etc.

As for donation, with the recent argument over use of Ajax, it may be a lot more difficult.... :-/ It'd be obnoxious to users, and they'd have to go through about four pages (receiver and sender, not total). I could still do it, but if Ajax is allowed, it'll take very little time.

And finally, for the PHP. It won't be a PHP code, but it will be mostly remotely hosted (version number and similar things like what you input will be in your headers/footers)

Last Edit: Nov 13, 2005 0:03:24 GMT by Chris

Nate

Nate Avatar

Official Member

July 2007
[CD] I can't help you with AJAX :-/

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I know. :P I'll cover that part, but the rest will not be Ajax.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Just curious, about how far are you on this code? Like, about when can we expect it? Just a rough guess, not a carved-in-stone date.

Nate

Nate Avatar

Official Member

July 2007
As far as I'm concerned April if we're lucky.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, that's about the estimate I gave at SoCal.

Jamie

Jamie Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
O.O
Blah blah....

Currently listening: The Fray.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Jacob: At the date or the features? :P

ⓦ৹₪deⓡ

ⓦ৹₪deⓡ Avatar

Official Member

Male

November 2005
cddude229 said:
Yeah, I updated it in the post but didn't post again. :P

It'll be JS only from here on out, cause ZT pointed out I'd probably crash my host.
I think with a good mix of js, php, and a well constructed database backend and if you limit signups you could do this without too much trouble to your host. Who is your host btw? If you support this system using advertisements, then you might even be able to afford a dedicated server. The only thing you have to make sure of is to only have the RPG access your host when it needs information. So, do not get information on every pageview, just get the information when a user requests it and store it in a cookie for a certain period of time. So have a button a user can click on in the miniprofile that would open a new window, not a div (that way you can show an ad and not violate the TOS). Then retrieve the information about that user if it isn't already in the cookie. Plus, have PB store as much info about a user as possible, especially post count and karma. You can make this application secure by sending a hashed version along with the user's PB info. That should all but eliminate cheating. Also, you can limit bandwidth overhead by using an image host like ImageShack instead of hosting images yourself. This idea might even be profitable. And if it's not, you can always shut it down whenever you want. Hmm...... Wonder's thinking..... and it hurts.
~Wonder

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
:P

I may end up doing that, but only for money and donation of items. See, that's the only part that would be difficult and really need it. And since they don't allow Ajax anymore (supposedly, waiting for Ross to confirm it). It'll be very difficult.

ⓦ৹₪deⓡ

ⓦ৹₪deⓡ Avatar

Official Member

Male

November 2005
What exactly do you mean by Ajax? As far as I know you can't really use Ajax with just a ProBoard. It's set up to refresh the whole page, not just the information that changed. If you're talking about hidden iframes, then the concept is similar but the benefits of Ajax are essentially lost because you're still refreshing the page, it's just hidden from the user. And that's the way Pat wants it. He wants the ads to be refreshed every pageview so you are more likely to find an ad you want to click on. Real Ajax is like Google Suggest. It only updates part of the page instead of submitting a form and rendering essentially the same page all over again. If you want an example of Ajax code, click here. If you're going to use Ajax with a ProBoard then you're going to have to have some sort of your own hosting because I don't think Pat will ever set up PB to have some sort of XML feed because he'll lose advertising pageviews. Not to mention that Ajax is usless if the user has javascript disabled. But in our case Ajax is perfect because the RPG will only be geared towards javascript users and Ajax will help cut down on bandwidth. However, if you want to put ads on the pages to supplement your costs, then I think Google and other ad services require an actual page refresh.
~Wonder

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It uses the Ajax syntax, but whatever. :P Its what ZT taught me and he referred to it as Ajax.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So...are you saying that I can't open my RPG until April?

*grabs whip*

You'd better work or run boy! >:(

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Hey, I'm practicing coding it actually. :P

For those who are members of DGF or know what it is, you should know NAruto's making an RPG for it. Well, I'm coding the battle system for it. :P There's my practice. I've alreayd astonished him with just the attacking for it... :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling