Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Is it just me or is AJAX just a little bit overused? People are using it for things like getting content instead of simply loading a new page. It seems useless to me to use it in that manner.

I think it should be used for things where there actually need to be updates (chats, games, etc), rather than something that has already been solved by a very reasonable and proven solution.

What do you guys think?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Well, it depends. Is the method of doing it via AJAX faster or more effecient? For example, as you said when we rated ZT's code for the Coding Contest, that it would be faster to modify normally or use the Quick Reply normally.

However, if you have the file submit data to a file specifically made to handle AJAX requests (Such as the chat room you mentioned, sort of like vB's), then I think it is more effective.

I'm still not a real big person with AJAX, as in knowing what it is and what's it truly about. So I probably sound like a dumbass right now. :P

anubis2591

anubis2591 Avatar
I'm a cat.

Official Member

September 2005
It depends what your using it for. if it is a web application such as Gmail then I think it is a good idea. In that case it makes the web app. much faster and more efficient. But when used for everyday things it's just kind of useless. In my opinion I don't think it's overused. The only times I see it is when it is put to good use.

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
In a sence its overused, i suppose people are just trying to show they have a knowledge of the code, still i'd use a much more simplier method to solving a problem then just going all out on loading time etc. But yeah it does depend on the situation, though i do like how it works on vBulletin when posting, its kinda spiffy to see working.

Zelnen

Zelnen Avatar
Javascriptin'

Official Member

June 2006
I normally use iframes but recently have been getting in to use Ajax's XMLHTTPRequest object. People on the Invisionfree forums use it all the time so i thought i may as well learn. It's used alot yes but it's very helpful and faster than using iframes.

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
Zelnen what you are talking about is using ajax to grab the information on other pages. That is of course helpful for forums/website where you don't have power over the server-side scripting. But if you do then there's not much need for Ajax except for certain tasks.

Here's an interesting read.

newBookmarkLockedFalling