Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
CrossBrowser Scripting

As webdesigners/programmers we all know, that getting our sites to work on all browser correctly, is not an easy task.

Is this challenge, more than its really worth? Is Xbrowser scripting really needed? Or should browsers all stick to "The Standard".

I Honestly prefer Mozilla FireFox, to the likes of Opera and Internet Explorer, Why? Because FF is Standards Compliant, therefore you need to have valid html/xhtml etc in order
to have a perfectly coded website that functions and looks like it was originally designed for.

My question, as most of us tend to use FF anyway, is Xbrowser scripting needed, does it really make us better than any other coder who can't xbrowser script? should we even have to
learn how to script for different browsers or should browser programmers get their arses into gear and finally make
all their browsers standards compliant?

If the browsers all went standard compliant would the knowledge of coders slip because they no longer need to assess problems
caused by xbrowser scripting.

Every person i have spoken to that has made a website has had this trouble, no matter how good you are you always have to patch
up a site because "IE rapes the right border" or "FF just totally rapes it". So would programmers rather have the ability to be
able to fix a poorly coded website, or be able to get it right first time every time because they don't need to worry about
how their site will look in another browser?.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
personally i think that 1 of 2 thigsn should happen:

1. ie steps into the furture and works like ff
or
2. ff takes a look at their coding standards, and fixes them

i know that making a code or even a whole site work in both browsers can be quite annoying. even the simplest langauges like html mess up in different browsers if not coded right.
k

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
there really isn't any problem with FF's coding standards, its programmers and coders that are not coding correctly that cause the errors, when i used to code in Dreamweaver it used to automatically place <p> tags in, which if it wasn't to do with anything but text FF would rape it, you would sit there for hours trying to work out why IE was working and FF wasn't...

now when ever i code its usually FF that works first time, and IE and Opera that rape it lol

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
FF is actually more proper then IE. IE (using JS as an example) creates properties that don't truly exist. For example, moveRow. That is an IE only property (unless you use my moveRow for FF code).

CrossBrowser is important, because it aids us in problem solving and actually helps make us smarter.

newBookmarkLockedFalling