Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
When you make crossbrowser codes, which browsers do you make it work in?

IE6?
FF 1.5?
IE7 Beta?
FF 2 Beta?
Opera 8?
Opera 9?
Konquerer?
Safari?

There's so many browsers out there, its quite difficult to keep everything crossbrowser, whether its CSS, JS, or even HTML. So what do you do? Do you go and download all of those browsers and then test individually fixing each thing as you come across it? Do you just no offer support outside of the main ones?

Do you even care if it messes up or do you waste time testing?

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
When i'm coding for PB I test in IE6 and FF1.75. However I take much more care when constructing websites and writing scripts outside proboards.

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
I have FF1.5, and a plug-in that opens the page using the IE6 engine, so those are the only ones that I test in. If someone has Opera, or any of those other ones, then 10-1 they have Firefox :P

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
The IE Tab plugin doesn't mimic IE perfectly. I've encountered errors with it.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
I make my codes using Dreamweaver. I start out using alerts to make sure that I haven't screwed anything up along the way and that the code finds what I want and only what I want. I test them on my test board in FF 1.5, then use the IE Tab plugin to test them in IE. Once it works in both FF and IE Tab, I open up IE itself and check it there. Simple process, and effective :)
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Just IE and firefox. Don't really care about the other browsers :P

Last Edit: Aug 3, 2006 18:41:45 GMT by Simie

Samuel

Samuel Avatar

July 2006
Yea, 75% of people use either IE or FF - Clicky

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
NExt time I run the stats from my webhost, I'll show you guys the results I get. :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
According to StatCounter, 61% of the people who visit my site use Firefox. The other 39% use IE. That's probably because I stressed that it works better in IE and that some of the codes didn't work in IE when I first used them :-/
wat

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
Here's a question I just thought about. When you use the javascript method to get a user's browser, if the person is viewing the page is using the IE Tab add-on for Firefox, will it return Firefox or IE?

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
scorpian8867 said:
According to StatCounter, 61% of the people who visit my site use Firefox. The other 39% use IE. That's probably because I stressed that it works better in IE and that some of the codes didn't work in IE when I first used them :-/

That's odd. Most people nowadays are still using IE. In fact, I just checked my domain's stats and 86% of users were in explorer.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
derfleurer said:
scorpian8867 said:

That's odd. Most people nowadays are still using IE. In fact, I just checked my domain's stats and 86% of users were in explorer.

My stats last time were something like 79% were IE6, 4% were IE7, 15% were FF, and 2% were random other browsers like Opera, etc. Those stats include SZ, all my hosted codes, and Ross's USers Online Today code. So I think they're pretty accurate (got 700k hits in a day... o.O)

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
How'd you get stats for your hosted codes? Is there a way to use StatCounter with them? I can track who's using my templates by seeing who clicks the links to my site, but I don't know about codes. I don't really have a way to see who's using my KACS code :-/
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
cddude229 said:
(got 700k hits in a day... o.O)

:o How much bandwidth do you have :o

My cpanel gave me this

And that was before my site is open :P It isn't even open now :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
scorpian8867 said:
How'd you get stats for your hosted codes? Is there a way to use StatCounter with them? I can track who's using my templates by seeing who clicks the links to my site, but I don't know about codes. I don't really have a way to see who's using my KACS code :-/

My host uses an Apache server and I standard Apache logs. I then download them and use a program called WebLog Expert Lite to interpret the data. ;)

I'm downloading logs for the past three days now. I'll show the details when they're done.

edit:

Aug 2
Aug 3
Aug 4

Last Edit: Aug 6, 2006 1:24:59 GMT by Chris

newBookmarkLockedFalling