Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
In my never-ending quest to make templates easy to use (to eliminate god-awful skins >.<), I have begun the RISkinStaller system. Although it's not even really started, yet, I have big plans for it. You know how most of my templates are remotely hosted? Well, this system adds on to it.

Basically, it's an admin-editable code that a user would add to their site. From it, they can pick any template they want that's coded for the system. There will be a drop-down menu with all available skins, previews included. From there, the system will set-up the skin almost automatically, requiring very little user input.

In addition to this, a user will be allowed to choose as many skins as he/she wants. Multiple skins has been a large wrench in my current system, so I want to fix it.

Now then, I want it to be a very efficient and awesome system. Thus, I'm asking for suggestions. What do you think it should have? :)

wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Let them pick specific codes in a template to use. Some people don't want a category splitter.

Also, don't forget the uninstall feature. You'd be amazed how many people do. o.o

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Wow Sounds like an awesome idea.

Are people going to be able to "add skins" to the list of those that is shown?

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
scorpian8867 said:
In my never-ending quest to make templates easy to use (to eliminate god-awful skins >.<), I have begun the RISkinStaller system. Although it's not even really started, yet, I have big plans for it. You know how most of my templates are remotely hosted? Well, this system adds on to it.

Basically, it's an admin-editable code that a user would add to their site. From it, they can pick any template they want that's coded for the system. There will be a drop-down menu with all available skins, previews included. From there, the system will set-up the skin almost automatically, requiring very little user input.

In addition to this, a user will be allowed to choose as many skins as he/she wants. Multiple skins has been a large wrench in my current system, so I want to fix it.

Now then, I want it to be a very efficient and awesome system. Thus, I'm asking for suggestions. What do you think it should have? :)

O_o..... you have answer my prayers ^_^ that sounds awesome idea. That would be very usefull in did and what chris suggested was what came to mind when reading your post. I try to think of anything that might useful for.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
a) There will be a system of all skins available. I'll have to add them manually. Anybody can add their skin to the system, though. I just have to ask around. :)

b) Uninstall, would've never thought of that. :P
wat

fireindy

fireindy Avatar

Official Member

May 2007
What language are you going to write this in? PHP? This sounds awesome. Good luck mate.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
JavaScript, for the most part. If I'm up to it, I may put in a PHP & MySQL database. It depends on how complex the system turns out to be. :)
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It'd be easier if you stuck to JS. Yes, you'd need to manually update, however, it allows more flexibility and no need to worry about overloading your server.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Yeah, but it may be easier to add skins from a database. I dunno, it depends on what I'm up to doing. :)

Oh, and btw, this system will be released along with 1, maybe even 2, brand-spankin'-new premade template(s). I'm also going to try and time it to release right along with pb v4.5. That should allow for the minimal amount of future conflicts. :)
wat

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
W000t go Scorp! :P

If ya need someone to test it shout me (or hit me) ... normally the latter works! :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
I've created a logo for the system! :D It doesn't really pertain to the coding, but it looks cool! :)

High-Definition Logo: Click Here
HD Logo + Transparent BG: Click Here

Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007 0:39:01 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Looks coool! :D

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Very nice Scorp

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
:P Nice logo, but where will you put it? At that size it'd stretch everything.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
scorpian8867 said:
b) Uninstall, would've never thought of that. :P

Uninstallers are bad for business :P You don't want people to stop using your product, do you?

Anyway, looks nice Scorp. Good luck! :)

newBookmarkLockedFalling