Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
This is more of a serious discussion topic.

What do you think makes a website/forum/blog/whatever truly great, original, unique, or active?

Is it the complex coding?
The stunning graphics?
The helpful staff?
The uniqueness/originality?
The detail or ammount of content/supplies?

What exactly is your opinion?

For me, its a combination of a few things. Since I'm not a designer, the design doesn't have to be extraordinary, but it helps if its good and clean. When it comes to the coding, I hope it never has any errors with it, and that it displays the same in all browsers (or at least FF and IE).

I also look for activity. If its new, I'll cut some slack and give it a try, but if it looks like it won't last long, or its not original. I don't really put any hope for it.

Originality is the biggest thing for me. None of the trendwhore stuff. Originality is much better, as long as it still looks good and is effective.

jongos

jongos Avatar

Male

December 2005
I think you need good content and a combo of good graphics and codes, because you could have beautifully coded site, but default everything and it would still have a default plain look and graphics need codes to implaced properly. Then the content is what its based on
Thanks, Kay!

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Well, that technically is true. The graphics and coding attract the members, the activity, and content is what should keep them.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Let me tell you what I go over when I am at a site.

First thing is the impression I get from the design. If it is really good I will look around after I've finished going to the page I googled. If it is so-so, I'll read the page and be gone. If it is hideous, I leave the site instantly. I'm sorry but bright green and pink do not make a good site.

Next thing is the quality of the content. If its good and gave me good info, I'll look at the other stuff on the site (disregarding the design for the most part, besides in the last case). Good info is the main key to a good site, design is just the first impression. You won't get people to stay long without good content.

The last thing is the amount and last date of the content. The content needs to be of a decent size and be constantly updated and added to. Nobody goes to a site that has 1 page or never changes.

4renSick.

4renSick. Avatar

Dedicated Member

December 2005
Here is my opinion:

Is it the complex coding?
It can be, but not always... sometimes simple sites look nice. But having lots of complexly (if thats even a word) coded features on a site, is a great add on in my opinion.

The stunning graphics?
This for me is a key features, being a graphics designer myself (sort of :P) i appreciate how the graphics have been made and put together to create a site. Graphics are the first thing you see when you visit a site (unless there are none) so if there good, they will attract you to stay and look around.

The helpful staff?
This is obviously after futher inspection of the site, and not just first impression. But i belive this is another key feature, if your staff aren't helpful, your never going to get anywere.

The uniqueness/originality?
This helps quite a lot, with the success of a site. If its new and original, something that no one has seen before (presuming its good), then that is obviously going to attract people to the site. Trendwhore sites get boring and will make people be less likely to like the site. Unless it is incredibly amazing, which does sometimes happen.

The detail or ammount of content/supplies?
This aswell as the staff, is an "after inspection must have" once you have been drawn into the site by the graphics, the site must have good content or supplies. Why would some one like a site if all it was, was good graphics and nothing else. A site with good content about a topic, or a forum with alot of constuctive conversation is very attractive. Also having supplies on a website or forum, such as graphics or codes, will help to bring in people seeking this kind of thing.

Well thats my opinion :P

craz

craz Avatar

Dedicated Member

September 2005
For me, its activity, staff, and the members. I mean, they've all got to be nice and it has to be active. You can have a hideous site, with the coolest people you've ever met! You know?
Ion displacement won't work in the basement
Especially when I'm not with you- Vampire Weekend

art+jams+fake+social

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Well, you all have excellent points.

Eric, your's seems to be more for research when attempting to learn something new, like a new coding language, or better techniques.

Craz, that's not necessarily true. For example, if the members are super nice, but the design is appauling (Take for example the colors Eric mentioned), would you stay? Or if the design was super amazing, but the members pissed you off to no end?

Curious George®

Curious George® Avatar
Music Lover

October 2005
being able to fill out all the complicated crap that is associated with it...:P

Grab this Headline Animator

JDYgamer

JDYgamer Avatar

February 2006
I believe what makes a forum/ site great is a mixture of everything. I have been to forum with amazing graphics and coding. Very unique, but they treat new members like dirt. It has put me off and I've never went back. I like a community feel for the most part and I have got that from here as a first impression.

However, if somewhere has a nice community feel but the colours they use are boring into the back of your skull making you blind and you can't actually read the writing without fitting, then that would also put me off. The thing that matters least to me is the coding. If a site has lots of cool little features then thats great, but it doesn't mean the world to me.

So I guess thats what I think. Everything needs to compliment each other for a site/ forum to be great. :)

dimmick
the more interesting a site looks the more hits it will recieve, plus theres the extra footage like downloads etc,

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
A good design topped with some nifty features through coding is a must. But the most important thing is content. One of the best sites I've ever seen really kind of sucks both coding and graphics-wise, but has such uber-tastic content, it makes it great. For those of you wondering, it's this site. It r0x0rz my s0x0rz!

Gunny

Gunny Avatar
Go Team Tux!

Official Member

November 2005
Personally, three things will make a coding site:

Design

It doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to be easy to look at and navigate. It should have a maxium of ONE sidebar, not have hundreds of ads, affliate mini banners, shoutboxes or that crap.

Content

Useful, neat tutorials. Well laid out codes. And lots of them.

Helpful Staff

Over my last six months or so at Socal, I have spent the majority of that time bugginh Cali and CD with problems. I've done it a couple times here. EVERY time, someone has answerd my questions, without complaining, or moaning. I must aplaud them for this.

newBookmarkLockedFalling