Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

valandil
I'll try to make this short... I have a forum and website, run by my best friend and I. His older brother really doesn't like us, and he has started a forum as well. However, for three years now, he's been going on about us having fake members on our site. Its a bad thing, not only because that's a stupid thing to do, but its not true anyway.

I start sending PM's to him on his forum, where he allowed me to register, because he has up in plain view, a whole paragraph that is basically a giant rumour; the fact that my friend and I impersonate other people, including girls...

I get a PM back from him with him being brutally honest; he said he went to my forum, cracked into my friend's admin account, and snooped around all the IP addresses, just to prove his point. Did he? No. The fact is, he is deliberately trying to get into our forum to expose something that isn't true, and all because of one false fact that he thinks is true.

What can I do about this? Is this a TOS violation? I have the PM from him and everything. Some of my members are kinda scared to post there now, considering he had access to all their information.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Report it. Even if it's not really a TOS violation, it still doesn't hurt.

valandil
Alright, I just did that. I wasn't sure what to put for the exact URL, so I put the URL to the message... and I sent a screenshot with it.

My worry is, even if something happens, he might try to come back and really do some damage... if the TOS violation report doesn't work, do I have any other options?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
valandil said:
Alright, I just did that. I wasn't sure what to put for the exact URL, so I put the URL to the message... and I sent a screenshot with it.

My worry is, even if something happens, he might try to come back and really do some damage... if the TOS violation report doesn't work, do I have any other options?

Kicking his ass might work, but is usually a 'last resort' type of thing.

valandil
I could... but did I mention he's 22 years old? :P

Nate

Nate Avatar

Official Member

July 2007
valandil said:
Try this one on him: here.

Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006 5:36:13 GMT by Nate

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
valandil said:

No, fighting usually don't solve problems.

Since you are allowed to PM to him in his forum, why don't you communicate with him more?

Ask him questions such as

• "Why are you doing this to us? Why are you exposing us as frauds while we're not?"
  • What are you trying to get from us?

These are the only two example questions that I've came up with. It may not be the best questions, but at least, if we assume that he still keeps this "brutally honest" attitude, you might get some information on his intentions.

Remember: Communicate, communicate, communicate!
Always do that before using the last resort. Fighting is not a good way to solve the problem. Know his intentions and know him well.

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Personally i would just ignore him delete your account from his forum, and ban him both IP and email wise on your forum. That way he can't come onto your forum making posts and distrupting your forum. If he posts it on his own forum well thats another thing, its a case of harassment, but the main thing to do is ignore him completely.
For someone who is 22 he sure acts like an 8 year old.

valandil
Those both sound pretty good. Right now I'm more inclined to ban him, because I don't like the idea that guests can't see any of the forum. And if he ever answers my PM's, I'll be sure to ask him those question.

And yes, he is very immature... most of my friends are at a loss as to why he sees this as such a big deal. :P

Thanks.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
:P IF you're worried about security, have both of the admins change their passwords immediately. And change your e-mails and those passwords.

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
He's your brother. You shouldn't be having forum fights. I personally find it best to keep forums away from friends and other real life people. But seriously, he's your brother, talk to him face to face. Banning your own brother will just ruin your offline life, atleast with him, and if you can't talk to your own brother, who can you talk to?
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

jongos

jongos Avatar

Male

December 2005
moose said:
He's your brother. You shouldn't be having forum fights. I personally find it best to keep forums away from friends and other real life people. But seriously, he's your brother, talk to him face to face. Banning your own brother will just ruin your offline life, atleast with him, and if you can't talk to your own brother, who can you talk to?

His friends brother. :P

Errr, ask him nicely to stop? :P

I am not good in this area.
Thanks, Kay!

newBookmarkLockedFalling