Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I don't know if this has been suggested/shot down before, but I'm just gonna say what catches my eye. The layout's very well done, but nothing is perfect.

--

Most important: decrease the loading times. It's not really bad, but once you keep trying to click everywhere it really gets to you and starts to get annoying. If you'll only do one thing out of everything on my list, do this first.

Improve the text on the copyright footer. It's not bad, but it blends in too much with the light blue of the footer. Put a black stroke around it or something, and make it bigger (same goes for the top button on the footer).

Change the rollover. I know you guys are trying to be different, but still. Instead of making the rollover become a background for links, just make it darker or something.

Same goes for the border on text areas. The dotted line design just doesn't go well with the forum. Add a black border instead.

Smooth off the ends of the gradients if possible. I know most of the time it isn't, but they would look even more kickass if they were.

Attach the PM bar to the nav bar on the top. It just looks too...detached. Also, you could put "Private Messages:" before the text that says inbox, etc.

Take out the rollovers. They're cool and all, but I think they're too graphic heavy on the forum. Somehow you could make it simpler, I guess, or just take them out.

When you enter a board, add a table with the gradient for the search and reply buttons, like it is when you enter a topic. Hope that makes sense.

For the rating icons table, have the rates be displayed vertically so the posting text area gets more room. It looks and feels way too cramped.

If you do that, increase the size of the text area and align it equally within the table it's in...everything's too far to the right.

Add a scrollbar. Just because IE users can see it and FF's can't doesn't mean there shouldn't be one. Putting in a scrollbar is easy, but I just wanted to bring it to your guys' attention.

Putting the actual color in the add colors part of the posting area was a cool idea, but it really looks bad for light colors, and beige is completely blended into the background. Maybe it would be better just to list all the colors in black text, or I dunno...do something at least.

Make the nav bar a little bigger -- everything, the background and the home icons and everything. It just feels too small compared to the banner.

As for the banner, it looks really cool, but don't you think it would make more sense if it were high-tech-looking? Kind of like with a neo-futuristic feel? But that's just me. If you don't want to change it that's fine, but you should probably give the rest of the image a little more of a blue hue.

In a user's post window, the post text with the kanji (?) is cool, but it's too small. Make it a couple of pixels bigger.

Don't italicize g-mods. I've seen it done so much at other forums and for some reason no one agrees with me. It just doesn't look good. Maybe you should think about the purple, too. =P

The threads/post images on the main page aren't aligned to the cells they're supposed to be labeling. They're also too small in my opinion, and aren't visible enough.

Add the view 10 most recent posts link (View New Posts) from the PM bar into the info center. I think it belongs there instead. You could also make the Inbox text be a link to your inbox.

Add a gaming board. I know this is a design board, but still, I think a gaming board is necessary. You could make it be a sub-board in the lounge or something.

The "Studio Zero" text in the quick reply box is too bold, in my opinion. Make it a little more clearer (which is funny, because the rest of the text images I want more clear). It's too...bunched up.

Make the new post icons (showing you there's a new post) more eye-catching. Seriously, sometimes when there's a new post I can't tell, especially if it's a poll. Make it bigger and more distracting.

Change the "Pinned Topics" image (announcements for all boards) to simply "Announcements." Because technically, the "Important Topics" are pinned, too.

For some reason admin names are italicized when they're listed as mods for a board. I just think you should do without the italicizing at all.

Why did you guys take away the stat that showed how many times a thread has been viewed? I admit it is kind of useless, but still, it was kind of cool to have. Bring it back if you want.

--

Well, yeah. There was something else, but I forgot it for now. Hope you guys at least take those into consideration to make SZ better. If at all, please just decrease the loading times. Studio Zero's a great board so far, though. Good job, guys. (I'll post other things when I think of them.)

Last Edit: Aug 21, 2005 17:40:53 GMT by Ess Ohh

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
Well I read most of them and I have to agree with all the ones I read except for this one:

Change the rollover. I know you guys are trying to be different, but still. Instead of making the rollover become a background for links, just make it darker or something.
I just think it looks 'snazzy'.

I really like the rollover.

Add a scrollbar. Just because IE users can see it and FF's can't doesn't mean there shouldn't be one. Putting in a scrollbar is easy, but I just wanted to bring it to your guys' attention.

Hopefully, since you're more important than me in every way, they'll do it unlike what they did to My Thread. :-/

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Well atleast you aren't asking for alot. :P

Theyt're fixing the Topic Posts alignment problem, they can't decrease loading times since codes slow down boards. It's how it is, but I guess CD might be able to make it go a bit faster in the future. And after awhile, you get used to it. I have. Rollovers are fine, the text is just fine since it's not like people actually need to know what it says. The bold studio zero looks awesome, you can't change the size of the text box(to my knowledge), and obivously, they want the number of views hidden. Anyway, I'm too lazy to reread that to make sure I address everything, but those are answers to alot of them.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Whole lot of suggestions... and barely any for me. XP Most of those sound good SO.

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
I'll get back to you SO soon, school's burdening me down right now so I can only read, and not post much for now. ;)

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Okay, as long as you two get to them eventually. >_>

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I worked on optimizing some coding today.... But I messed up >.<

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
Well, I've got 2 of your suggestions fixed.. just one more to go ;)

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
So you're only doing three out of the whole list? Can you at least tell me why you disagree with the others (just so I know)?

And just to make it clear, when I meant new post icons, I meant the ones that show you which thread is new once you're actually inside the board...although the on/off icons on the main page look better now, too.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
You mean the arrow?

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Yeah. It's too small and doesn't get the attention an icon like that should, in my opinion.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I think it works fine... but talk with Joe.

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
I'll try and answer your questions one by one SO. ;)

1. Code optimization: Yep, we're considering that, and we're in the progress of doing it.

2. Well, it's improved, but the biggest obstacle is that.

3. I know very well what you mean. But we sort of weight originality over common design features. Mainly at SZ, we strive to be different, and using the background colour rollovers are not only different, but it could also be made professionally and nicely. So therefore, that's why we chose to maintain this originality.

4. Border on text areas, we could make it different, but as stated in 3., if we can do something different and professional, we'll do it.

5. Gradient smoothing are done SO, thank you for the suggestions, though it took me about 10 attempts in 30 minutes.. <_<

6. Well, I can see what you're getting about the PM bar, but the role of PM bars from what I can see is to be eye catching. By detaching the PM bar from the title banner makes the PM bar not too messy (it really gets messy if you combine it with the menu) and a little eye catching.

7. For the rate icons: you don't want to see what the text area looks like when the rate icons are vertically displayed. It looks bad, and I do mean it. The text area will remain the same height while the posting area is stretched vertically. It just doesn't work.

8. Increasing the size of the text area, yeah, we might consider that. But as long as it doesn't mess up other text areas..<_<;; (quick reply and HF etc.)

9. I know putting in scrollbars are good, but we still see no point in modifying one. 90% of IE users login to our forum to see posts, some really picky ones only spot that. We would glady make a scrollbar modification, but from my view, it's unconventional.

10. Yep, I've had that issue before when I asked CD to make that add colours tags. How would I answer this >.<...if we leave the colours as the way they would look like, it gives the posters a "quick" preview of what the colour they're going to use is going to look like. Therefore, it's convenient.

11. Well...there's a reason behind the small menu bars and big banner scheme. I want the users to see the banner first thing they log into the forum. The fresh colours of the banner and the clean logo represnts that Studio Zero strives to do things differently in a fresh and innovative approach. I guess that's the only reason that I can think about it...>.<

12. It's the originality factor again. I want to be original, I want people to think that Studio Zero takes design and coding in a fresh and innovative way. That we're not just following the trend, we're doing things in a slightly different way compared to others. I may add some high tech banners for Studio Zero in the future though, just to please the members XD

13. Eh...add a few pixels in the kanji, it'll either look too big or the pixels in the characters will look screwed. That's why I stuck to this size.

14. Purple = Good XD
About italics...I dunno. I personally think it looks good. XD

15. I got that idea from Invision boards. It looked cool, so I included it in the PM bar ;) Also, I found out that users frequently use the "View New Posts" when placed in the PM bar compared to when inside the info center in the Invision Statistics.

16. yep, we've considered that and made a "general media" board. Thank you so much SO :D

17. I've had a look at it, and it looks bad, so I removed it instead :D

18. Well, I can see what you're getting at, but looking at a whole row of "new" icons..is really...messy...I think..O_o;;

19. Good point...but I've seen global announcements in other forums with the word "Pinned" instead of announced..so..yeah..

20. I dunno, we just can't change it...-_- Poke to CD about it.

21. Yep, after thinking about it for a while. We're going to bring back that baby! So stay tuned in it while CD is optimizing the codes ;)

Whoa...I've never posted that many words in one post in my life. Long questions gives you long answers eh? I hope that answers all your questions SO. Sorry that I havn't being able to explain to you what we're considering or not for the past 3 days. I have exams...>.<

*faints after typing*

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Well all I have to say is that, damn that was a lot of suggestions and you just about killed him with answering you back! :P

But good work Xylish!

newBookmarkLockedFalling