Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
nomi said:
Skins don't get activity, members create activity. There are plenty of forums where they use default templates that are popular. Skins are really only something that is provided to make the members who visit the site have something eye pleasing while posting. Just because Zenith or SSD might have a nice skin doesn't ensure them active members.... in kinda retrospect it can be a bit dainting for new people and make them feel imtimadated to post because they are regarded as "noobs".

Yes, you have a point. But if your a forum without a skin, then are you going to get members to join? No, not as easily, you would be better off with a decent skin to get members attention.

Same with this. Everyone has seen this skin, and might of got bored of it.

So theres nothing wrong with this skin, and theres also nothing wrong with a new one.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making this issue a bit too big on my side. It might look like I'm on my knee's asking for a new skin. But I just think a change would be good. :P

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
I don't think wanting a new skin is bad to be honest, i'd love to see a new skin i just know CD and Joe have a ton of stuff on at the moment and running this place alone is time demanding enough.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
luke said:
nomi said:
Skins don't get activity, members create activity. There are plenty of forums where they use default templates that are popular. Skins are really only something that is provided to make the members who visit the site have something eye pleasing while posting. Just because Zenith or SSD might have a nice skin doesn't ensure them active members.... in kinda retrospect it can be a bit dainting for new people and make them feel imtimadated to post because they are regarded as "noobs".

Yes, you have a point. But if your a forum without a skin, then are you going to get members to join? No, not as easily, you would be better off with a decent skin to get members attention.

So theres nothing wrong with this skin, and theres also nothing wrong with a new one.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making this issue a bit too big on my side. It might look like I'm on my knee's asking for a new skin. But I just think a change would be good. :P

This skin is plenty good for new members. I thought it was awesome which is why I joined. Plus the smilies are pretty sweet. And as many have said, skins don't keep members. So it's good enough to attract them, but it'll take more than just a new skin to keep them active.

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
lucifer said:
luke said:

This skin is plenty good for new members. I thought it was awesome which is why I joined. Plus the smilies are pretty sweet. And as many have said, skins don't keep members. So it's good enough to attract them, but it'll take more than just a new skin to keep them active.

I agree.

But maybe just sort of revamp this skin. Just keep the same color's and all. And maybe get a new banner, or just something that will put a little spin into our activity.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Problem is, to do that, we need Joe. And Joe always seems to be busy. I can always code new things for it, not a problem, but when I do chances are I'll end up needing new graphics for it too. :P

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Luc is right. A skin gets people's attention to join, but you need actual substance to want them to stay. I thought by now everyone knew that. Now it needs to be applied.

Ovi

Ovi Avatar
.forgotten

Dedicated Member

October 2005
luke said:
New Template. You guys would get alot more activity and members. Do you even have it in mind?

Well, I will add my cents and dollars. If you still think it that way then you need some training with administration :P

Suppose a skin attracts members, they register and find the content to be crap, would they stay active? Hell no. The content is what matters most. It doesn't look good when you have 1000 members and 400 posts, so, our aim shouldn't be to get 0 posters but to get active members. Get familiar with their interests and play the trick right.

But yes, I would love to see the V2 of SZ. It's your theory that I don't agree with. And [CD], if Joe is absent... *points* XD

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Its more a matter of getting a hold of Joe. :P If I do, we could get it underway... but who says we want to? ;)

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
The probaly with revamping is its like making a new skin, because once you go changing the design aspects of certain things you start to apply it elsewhere. And yeah Joe is always busy these days, to busy to come on msn and talk to me ><, hopefully once this year of school ends joe will be back in full force.

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
Well...Where the heck is Joe? :D

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Nomi stabbed him with a broken beer bottle that he stole from me. What? I had that bottle for perfectly legal reasons... I was mowing and found it. Yeah, that's right. I mowed in 6 inches of snow. Got a problem? Well screw you. :D

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
That was my bottle, you robbed my whiskey while I slept in the snow outside your house. Then Joe came along and well one thing led to another and now no more Joe... :)

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
Yo guys, I wasn't asking for spam posts. Wheres the Joe?

Nomski

Nomski Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
lol thats not spam =P nah as mentioned Joe is busy with school work this is his final year and he is aimming for great results so thats why you rarely see him on.

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
i'm still laughing at the fact that people want a new skin... just look how long SSD has had their skin for... well over a year now i'm guessing? i can't quite remember.. but ssd still don't have people complaining about their skin.... ok so we could be different and keep changing skins every week (kinda like me at mfh (open for one year we on v7 already XD)) think of it this way... we need to sort out the niggling little things first, we need to get old members back... ok so a new skin could do that... but what else could do that too? that is what we need to focus on and when we get the time to make a new skin, then i'm sure that we will go ahead with it... what makes you think that joe is purposely not coming online because he will get distracted by people asking him for graphics and what not, he is extremely busy, and i know how he feels.

i am a programmer inside of a small company that i own, and i know how hard it is to live online/offline lives... but if you have read a few past entries in joe's life you'll see that he wants to make something of his offline life and i say instead of pestering him to make a new skin i believe that we should help him by getting what he wants here (which is a nice decent size active community ok so maybe we won't ever get to the size of pbs or ssd but what stops us in trying?

you guys are what matters to us, we need you as much as you need us to keep the forum going so why not work together and make this place beat ssd and g101 and all the rest of the major design community.

newBookmarkLockedFalling