Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Smangii

Smangii Avatar
Smangii Avatar

March 2006
Welcome to the tutorial on HOW TO GET A RAINBOW EFFECT! like the butterfly in this picture:

Alright, this was made for PSPX but I think you can use other version of PSP, like 7, 8 and 9.

Step 1: Open your background. This can be the signature, avatar, banner, etc. I'm going to use:

Step 2: Create a new layer. Go to Layers --> new Raster Layer --> Ok

Step 3: In the Layers Palette (Go to View --> Palettes --> Layers, or press F8) Click on your background layer, then right-click and press 'Promote Background Layer'.

In your layers palette, the background layer should have become a raster layer.

Step 4: Still in the layers palette, click and drag your first layer (the one you created by going to layers, new raster layer) down beneath your 2nd Raster layer (the background). Keep your first layer selected.

Step 5: In the Materials Palette, select the Gradient Tab --> Rainbow. Make it a sunburst gradient, and invert the gradient. Your setting should look like this:

Click OK.

Step 6: With your Raster 1 still selected in the layers palette, click on the Flood Fill tool (paint bucket) on the left. Or click the F key on your keyboard.

Step 7: Click your image. On your layers palette, the Image preview next to raster 1 should have changed to your rainbow gradient.

Step 8: In the layers palette, click on Raster 2 (your background image). Go to layers --> new Raster layer --> Ok. It should be named Raster 3.

Step 9: Go to your picture tube tool, or paste a render on the 3rd layer. I'm going to use the Butterfly tube in PSP X. My image now looks like this:

Step 10: In the layers palette, double click on Raster 3. Under Blend Mode, instead of 'Normal' click on the arrow and drop down to 'Luminance'. Click OK.

Step 11: In the layers palette, click ONCE on raster 2 (your background). Click the NORMAL ERASER tool, or press the X key on your keyboard.

Step 12: Erase your image. You'll begin to see the rainbow background sprout and cover your image. Select different brush sizes and texture to make it even more interesting. From erasing, I got this:

ENJOY!!! ;D

newBookmarkLockedFalling