Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Smangii

Smangii Avatar
Smangii Avatar

March 2006
Simple tutorial on making wires ^^

STEP ONE: Open the image you want to use, and create a new layer by going to layers --> new raster layer --> ok. I'm going to connect some wires to these to panels:

STEP TWO: Select the PEN TOOL in your tool bar, or press the "V" key on your keyboard.

Use these settings:
- Beizer Curves ( the wavy line, not the straight)
- Check ON connect segements
- Check ON create on vector
- Check OFF show nodes
- Make the line style solid
- Set your width to (for thin wires, use 5...for thick wires, use 8 or 10)
- Check ON anti-alias.

Next, we set up our colors. For the color of the wire, set the FOREGROUND color to your likings. Set the background color to TRANSPARENT by clicking the little circle with the line:

STEP THREE: Draw your line, by clicking once, holding your mouse down and dragging it to the length you want, clicking off, then click again, dragging it to curve it, then click somewhere else to connect them together. When you finished, right click --> apply

STEP FOUR: Go to effects --> 3D effects --> Inner Bevel. Set your settings to these:

Click OK.

STEP FIVE: Now you've got a simple wire! To add some effects, go to Effects --> Texture effects --> Blinds. Set your settings the way you like them, to add a more "wire look". Width would preferably be 2, opacity would be about 50, and if it's a horzontal wire, UNCHECK the horizontal option. If it's a vertical wire, CHECK the horizontal option. This is what I got:

STEP SIX: Now, for even more effects to to Effects --> 3D effects --> Drop Shadow. Set your settings to these:

Here's what I've got so far, making a thick and thin wire:

ANOTHER STYLE OF WIRE:

Dotted wires, also can be made using the above trick. But when you are about to set your pen tool, use the "DOTTED" Line settings instead of the "SOLID". Use the same Inner Bevels settings, same dropshadow. When you are done with that, right click the layer the dotted wire is on. Click "Duplicate" Click on the duplicated layer and go to Adjust --> Blur --> Gaussian Blur. Set your radius to 2. This smoothens the wire a bit more ^^ Here's a preview of this type of wire:

There are TONS of different styles of wires, test 'em out!
I hope you enjoyed! ;D

(c) Smangii for SIGFX
Do not redistribute without permission.

newBookmarkLockedFalling