Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Smangii

Smangii Avatar
Smangii Avatar

March 2006
Not my favorite outcome... but this is how I make most of my tag backgrounds. A few requested this from me.

si.MOTION GLOW TAG TUTORIAL
By Smangii of SI.GFX
Rip and You will be punished >_>

ONE. Create a new image, size approximately 300-350 x 100-150 are best. Any tag size will do, tho. Using the flood-fill tool, fill the background #000000 or Black.

TWO. Go to Layers --> new Raster Layer --> Ok. Set your foreground color to #FFFFFF or White. Then click "B" on your keyboard, or the brush tool in your toolbar. Use any textured brush and splatter your background randomly. Not too much, though.

THREE. Go to Layers --> new Raster Layer --> Ok. This layer will be the one for your render. Add your render, and feather it to about 12. Invert, delete, and walla. A blended image.

FOUR. Duplicate this Layer (Right click --> Duplicate) and set the blend mode to Hard Light. Right click on the layer in the Layers Palette, and go to Merge --> Down.

FIVE. Duplicate this merged layer again, and go to Image --> Mirror and Image --> Flip. Position it the way you like, imagining if it were the background colors (which they will turn into be... so this is important. Try to work with "flow" here). After finding a good position, do anothere one by duplicating the layer again, and mirror/flipping it around. Position it again.

SIX. Merge these two layers together by right clicking on the top layer and going to Merge --> Down. In the layers palette, click and drag it beneath your original render/layer. Duplicate this merged layer again, and hide one of the duplicates. We will use this hidden one later!

SEVEN. We'll now work with the un-hidden layer. Set the blend mode of this layer to Dodge. Then, go to Adjust --> Blur --> Motion Blur. Set the strength to about 50 or 60, and the angle should be facing toward your render/image. Press OK.

EIGHT. Now we return to that hidden layer! In the layers palette, click and drag it above the motion-blurred layer. Un-hide it (Make it visible) and go to Effects --> Disortion Effects --> Pixelate. Click the "symmetry" button and set the width to 10 pixels. Click OK. Go back to the layers Palette, and set the blend mode of this current layer to Overlay with an opacity of about 70 - 80%. Click OK.

NINE. Hmm, looks a bit grunge-like, no? We're about to smoothen it out. Return to your second layer, the one with the white brushes you added before. Go to Adjust --> Blur --> Gaussian Blur and set the radius to 2.

TEN. Much better, no? Now let's add some funky motion! Click once on the layer that you motion-blurred. Then in your toolbar, select the "Warp Brush". Make sure the first icon, called "Push" is selected. A good size to work with is 30, but feel free to go smaller or larger depeding on the effects you want. My hardness is on 10, strength up to 100.

ELEVEN. Start moving areas around with this brush, making lights flow around the sig as you stretch the dark and light around. Have fun with it, keep in mind "flow" =)

TWELVE. Once you've got something you like, Go back to the layer with your original render. Duplicate it, and using the Move Tool move the duplicate just under and over to the left or right of the original.

THIRTEEN. Once done, then go to Effects --> Disortion Effects --> Pixelate, to about 5 or 6 pixels. Return to the layers palette, and set the blend mode to Overlay, with an opacity of about 70%.

FOURTEEN. Woo..almost done! Go to layers --> merge --> All. Then go to Adjust --> Smart Photo Fix. Here is where I make some last-minute changes. I advise on a sig like this, to lower the shadows a bit, and raise the highlights. Make the saturation a teensy bit more colorful, and the focus a teensy bit more sharper. Test this tool out, it comes in great handy =D Whatever you like best! Once finished, click Ok and...

YOU'RE DONE!

Of course you can add text, something simple is the best way to go with a sig like this. Arial at size 10 or 12 works for me =)

FINAL RESULT:

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, brought to you by SI.GFX

=D

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
o.o Damn. Why does that have to be for PSP only? :( (I probably could convert it to a PS version, but still.)

Smangii

Smangii Avatar
Smangii Avatar

March 2006
'cause PSP owns :P If you can convert it, please do... many have requested the same thing >_> tis a shame I have no idea how to use, let alone navigate PS... yet I do own it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I got up to step 8, but I couldn't find the equivalent function of "Pixelate". =/

si.Motion Glow Tag (PS Version)
By Chris
Based off Smangii's tutorial

Repost only with permission of Chirs and Smangii.

Step 1
Create a new image. 400x100 is recommended. Fill the background with 000000 (Black).

Step 2
Create a new layer (shift+ctrl+n). Fill this new layer with FFFFFF (White). Next, brush it with 000000 (black).

Step 3
Create another new layer (shift+ctrl+n). Add your render to this layer. Now, using the magic wand tool, select the space that isn't your render. If you need to select more then one area, hold shift and click the additional areas. Now, right click and click "Select Inverse". Next, click "Feather..." Smangii said 12, but I think 6 looks better. It depends on your render. Now, click "Ok". Once again, invert. Now press the delete button and then ctrl+d (de-selects).

Step 4
Duplicate this layer (Layer > Duplicate Layer...). In the layer window, from the dropdown select "Hard Light". Now hit ctrl+e to merge the two layers.

Step 5
Again, duplicate this layer. With this next layer, go to Edit > Tranform > and now select an option of flipping it (either horizontally or vertically). Using the Move Tool (v), drag the image. Pay attention, as this is where some of the background color will appear. Duplicate this layer and make a second one. Position it too how you want.

Step 6
Merge all of the new layers that you made for background color. Drag the merged layer below the render layer. Duplicate it and hide the recently duplicated layer. (Saving it for later)

Step 7
Taking the unblended layer, set it's layer type to Linear or Color Dodge (you'll decide which you want once you perform the rest of the step). Now, go to Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. For the settings, set the Distance to 50-60 pixels and make sure the angle has it angling towards your render.

Step 8
Unhide the hidden layer and make sure it is above the layer you just motion blurred.

Dn107xc

Dn107xc Avatar
Hm.. Yeah!

Dedicated Member

May 2006
Oh, if its PS, then the equivalent is Filter->Pixelate->Mosaic.

newBookmarkLockedFalling