Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Spike

Spike Avatar
Spike Is Back!!

November 2007
Head/Base Image Tutorial
Written by: Lioyd Worshiper
Copyright to Tru Visions, 2007-2008

1. Start off by creating a document with the board width you are using, for this tutorial I will be using 690 pixels by 25 pixels, make sure it is a transparent background. After creating your main image, create another document by cutting the width of your main document in half, for example: 690 divided by 2 = 345. Therefore my new images width will be 345 pixels by 25.

2. After creating the 2 documents, click the pen tool and change it to paths at the top. Once doing so click on the corner of your document and then click on an angle from it by hitting and holding down shift to adjust the curve. After adjusting the curve hold shift and click off the image to the right and click straight down again and over to complete the selection. You Should have something so far resulting in this:

img91.imageshack.us/img91/2862/2ndstepow6.png

3. After having something similar to that, right click inside the spot you have outlined and hit fill path, choose black or 000000. After filling the path right click again in the space and hit delete path.

4. Double-click on the right of your layer to open your blending options, or go to Layer -> Layer Style -> Blending Options, from here you may choose to add your gradient and stroke. You should have something close to this however different colors:

img91.imageshack.us/img91/4928/4thstepwp7.png

5. After having something similar to the image above, Use the move tool to drag your image above into the 690x25 document. You Should have something like this:

img512.imageshack.us/img512/7456/step5xv4.png

6. Now to make it a full image, from here duplicate your layer by going to Layer -> Duplicate Layer, make sure it is selected and go to Edit -> Transform -> Flip Horizontal, drag this image over so that it is matching the other one and it should cover up the whole part of the image. This is what I am talking about if you are unclear:

img410.imageshack.us/img410/2751/6thstepyw1.png

7. Now Merge the 2 layers that you have made, Layer 2, and Layer 2 Copy, by hitting CTRL + E. After doing this in my case your image may be lob sided meaning when you merged them that the one side is higher than the other, move your image down 1 pixel by undoing the merge and selecting the image and hitting down on the dpad. Now go ahead and merge them again.

8. After step 7, this is where we get all technical, that is basically your head/base image there and you may stop there however if you want some extra things added on then i would encourage you to read the rest.

9. This is for more advanced users but may be accomplished if followed correctly by beginners or basic learners. You will now hit ctrl and hover over top of the picture beside Layer 2, click and it will select all of your image except for the transparent background. Make a new layer and go to Select -> Modify -> Contract, Put in 2-3 Pixels, whatever you think, i Usually do 2 myself. Fill this by using the fill tool with black or white, and go to your blending options and add a gradient and a stroke if you wish. Drag your layer 3 in my case underneath of layer 2 and click the eye on Layer 2 so you can see layer 3. The gradient that is added to layer 3 should be a lighter color or a color that mixes well with your above color. Your layer 3 should look like this:

img46.imageshack.us/img46/5093/9thstepnb0.png

10. Now unhide your Layer 2 and start using shapes like the polygonal Lasso Tool, the circle and start cutting out shapes on your header, after getting a shape hit the delete button but make sure that layer 2 is selected and it should have Layer 3s colors in the background and look pretty nice, here is a finished copy of what you can come out with if done this way....Now its not straight but play around with it and you should have a nice outcome, have fun with the designs you can create!! These are just simple head/base images, I am still working on some more tech ones that should look nice, maybe some abstract brushes included but for now here is my result:

img410.imageshack.us/img410/253/10thstepkc5.png

11. To get your base image from here is a simple process, make sure you merge all of your layers by hitting Shift+CTRL+E, and just going to Image -> Rotate Canvas -> 180 Degrees.

Have fun with this tutorial, please do not repost this without the creators permission.

This was created using Photoshop CS3 Extended Version. This tutorial may be different for PSP users but is similar for all and may be used by all Photoshop Users.

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
It looks better before the last step but great tutorial

newBookmarkLockedFalling