Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
There were a lot of good games shown and -- okay, I'll cut the bullshitting, I was just waiting for news of the Revolution speech, which started at 11 A.M. in Tokyo (about an hour ago).

The long-awaited controller is finally revlealed.

cube.ign.com/articles/651/651320p1.html

hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-23521-2567-x-x-x

www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Thoughts? Right now I'm skeptical, but as with the PS3 controller, I'm gonna have to use it before I make any irrational final judgement. Still...it's just too different. The end result of the controller will either be completely awesome, or utterly horrible. Doubt there's going to be room in between. =/

Read all the articles, though, especially the one by 1up...they provide a lot of info.

Edit: One more link.

cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

Edit 2: There's talk of a "shell" going around the right side of the controller to make it more conventional.

Last Edit: Sept 18, 2005 2:25:12 GMT by Ess Ohh

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So...we play with a remote? As cool and interesting as that is...I'm not so sure. But hey, would anyone think of something so stupid unless it worked awesomely?

Jamie85

Jamie85 Avatar

Studio Member

August 2005
What a retarded idea nintendo, well done. Playing games on a TV with a remote is bad enough as it is, but for their main controller that is so bad. It'll be unconfortable as hell.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Now that I've read through the articles and got time to settle this in, I'm thinking about like this:

--It certainly opens up new options in gaming. 1Up and IGN's articles show this.
--If they do make the shell that wraps around the controller, it'll be more comfortable.
--But, third-party support's probably gonna plummet after this. SEGA, Konami, Square Enix, EA, THQ, Activision, Namco, and Capcom have pledged support to the Rev, but that could be for exclusive games only. Multiplatform games are definitely out of the question now, since I doubt developers would want to adjust the control scheme of their game to a controller like that.

Like I said, it's either going to completely kick ass, or become a complete failure. No room for an in-between.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, its true.... but think of playing Zelda with it! :o

That'd rock... and playing RE5 on it.... ;D

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I've already mentioned this like three times, but after enough time and reading the articles, I've started to like it.

I said this to CD. Imagine playing a turn-based RPG. It's your turn. You can move your character anywhere around the enemy, deciding when you want to attack. After you choose one, you can attack ANYWHERE on the enemy, meaning that you can put in certain spots as strengths and weaknesses. That would be so awesome.

Imagine something like Soul Calibur IV. Wielding Nightmare's sword and swinging it around all stylishly.

I would go on, but then I'll probably be listing IGN's ideas in that article where they describe how games might work, which is a good read. (This one: cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html)

Last Edit: Sept 18, 2005 2:44:54 GMT by Ess Ohh

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
Personally, I think that nintendo's revolutionary control is good! I mean, think about it. Just by a swinging motion of a controller can bring up endless possibilities. This makes the user "feel" the game.

Because if you play a "Zelda" game, you're not playing the game anymore. Your IN the game as Link himself. By moving the controller and swinging the controller...you're controlling link's sword to fight the enemy.

This type of control scheme brings up endless possibilities in many creative ways. In this way, the gamer can experience and play the game as the characters itself.

;)

Rouno

Rouno Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2005
If Nintendo can pull it off, I give them incredible props for designing something that's pretty innovative. However, I do have to agree with SO. It will either be totally awesome or just plain crap.

I can just imagine what types of games could pop up from this new approach. :D

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, total crap or awesome are the only options. There is no inbetween (except, if you like, averaged the world's opinions) >_>

But honestly, I can wait to play Zelda on it... that'll kick ass. You can block, and actually use the shield....

newBookmarkLockedFalling