Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
This game is so fun! At first, it seems a bit hard since this giant bohemoth keeps trying to attack you. But, he has a weakspot that you hit and he falls and you climb on him. What makes this game so great is that each colossus has some sort of weak point or will do something that will allow you to jump up and grab hold of them. Then the fun begins. You get to climb and jump all of them. They will try to shake you off occassionally, but that's alright. The main objective is to get to their vital point, attack it until it dies. Some have more than one, so then it'll dissappear and you'll have to find another. I'm sure this doesn't sound that fun, but it is. I can't get enough of this game. Not to mention they have an innovative way of riding horse. You actually have to kick the horse to make it run faster and you control the reigns, so the horse won't turn on a dime. It's so realistic, plus you have tons of wide open plains to let loose on.

:: rate 4 ::

What are your thoughts on this game?

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
From the trailers I've seen, this is definitely going to be one of the first games I buy once I have time to get my ass to the store to buy a PS2.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
shadowyone said:
From the trailers I've seen, this is definitely going to be one of the first games I buy once I have time to get my ass to the store to buy a PS2.

I wouldn't. Rent it. I mean, it's great fun when fighting the colossi, but that's all you can really do in the game. Ride around, find the colossus, kill it, repeat. It's insanely fun, but it does get a bit boring after a little while.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
How could that possibly get boring? SO showed me the trailers, and this may be the best kick ass game on the PS2 since Kingdom Hearts. :P

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
I've seen previews and what they showed on Attack of the Show. Looks pretty damn awesome, I may get it sometime.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
cddude229 said:
How could that possibly get boring? SO showed me the trailers, and this may be the best kick ass game on the PS2 since Kingdom Hearts. :P

16 boss battles. Nothing more. They're fun at first, but each one gets harder and harder. And you can't fight any other monsters, you can't level up, you can't get new weapons, none of that. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it gets annoying fast.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
But howe can the senseless beating of a giant being get boring?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
cddude229 said:

Because it gets hard fast. And, you don't have special moves, and you can only hurt them in specific spots. Here is the basic steps of defeating a colossus:

1. Attack weak point
--Colossus tumbles down
2. Climb on
--Colossus will try to shake you off
3. Hold on and climb to vital area
--While attacking, colossus will still try to shake you off
4. Attack vital area until it dissappears
--Colossal repeats steps 2 and 3
5. Find second vital spot and attack
--Repeats steps 2, 3, and 4
6. Repeat step 5 as needed
--Repeats previous steps

Basically, you have to climb around(which is fun), but then you have to attack one area and hold on(only for so long before you fall) and attack the vital areas until it dies. And trust me, not only does doing the same thing over and ovder get boring, it gets harder and harder, making it boring and frustrating. And like I said, you keep the same armor, health, weapons, etc for the entire game. And it's a huge world which is cool, but it serves no purpose, seeing as you fight colossus's in much smaller areas, so there is no need for such a huge world. This game could've been better, had they added in some sort of weapon upgrades feature, and possibly some random battles for gaining levels.

Steve

Steve Avatar

November 2005
lucifer said:
cddude229 said:

Because it gets hard fast. And, you don't have special moves, and you can only hurt them in specific spots. Here is the basic steps of defeating a colossus:

1. Attack weak point
--Colossus tumbles down
2. Climb on
--Colossus will try to shake you off
3. Hold on and climb to vital area
--While attacking, colossus will still try to shake you off
4. Attack vital area until it dissappears
--Colossal repeats steps 2 and 3
5. Find second vital spot and attack
--Repeats steps 2, 3, and 4
6. Repeat step 5 as needed
--Repeats previous steps

Basically, you have to climb around(which is fun), but then you have to attack one area and hold on(only for so long before you fall) and attack the vital areas until it dies. And trust me, not only does doing the same thing over and ovder get boring, it gets harder and harder, making it boring and frustrating. And like I said, you keep the same armor, health, weapons, etc for the entire game. And it's a huge world which is cool, but it serves no purpose, seeing as you fight colossus's in much smaller areas, so there is no need for such a huge world. This game could've been better, had they added in some sort of weapon upgrades feature, and possibly some random battles for gaining levels.

You're not playing the game the way it was meant to be played. SotC is a thinking game. I'd compare it to games in the Resident Evil franchise(except RE4, that game just went against the whole RE sytle of gameplay).

Becuase this is primarily a game that requires you to think, you won't get the devistating special moves like in a typical action title. Instead, you are given amazing situations to test your ability to problem solve. I mean, every battle could easily be the ending boss in any other game(I'm pretty sure we all agree on that). This game does something that isn't quite as common in the gaming world. Instead of using insane combos and a 1000 different attacks(which is also really fun), the game requires the player to use their wits.

I'd also like to contradict a few points you made in your last paragraph.

...attack the vital areas until it dies. And trust me, not only does doing the same thing over and ovder get boring, it gets harder and harder, making it boring and frustrating.

The battles stay fresh and different becuase of the always different arenas you fight in. When engaging one boss, you must run around a city of ruins dodging the Colossus. You'll find yourself climbing up pillars, running along crumbled structures, and holding on for dear life as the foe knocks down the column you're standing on. Eventually you lead him to an area when you can jump on his back.

In another, you are put in a desert where the situation requires you shoot an arrow at key points under a flying beast. The Colossus will then let a few of its limbs lower. Now you must use your horse to gain enough speed to get near the boss, when close enough you can jump onto the enemy and begin your cimb up.

And like I said, you keep the same armor, health, weapons, etc for the entire game.

That's not entirely true. Well it is correct that on the first play through you keep a single sword and bow and arrow, but once you beat the game you unlock the chance to gain special items and abilities. I won't give and specific spoilers, but I will say that there ARE weapon and equipment upgrades.

As for the same health, that's not true at all. Everytime you defeat a Colossus you gain a little more strength and health. Which comes in handly when exploring the wrold for the the fruit and white-tailed lizards that can also increase your strength, which can make a boss fight a little less frustrating.

And it's a huge world which is cool, but it serves no purpose, seeing as you fight colossus's in much smaller areas, so there is no need for such a huge world.

Like I said, there is a purpose to the large world map. The purpose being the extra strength upgrades found scattered throughout the world. I do agree that it IS a little barren at times. But look at it this way: would prefer that the game had a level screen instead of a free world to roam around?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I see the points you're making and so I think I picked up the game for the wrong reasons. I figured it'd be more of an action type game, but the way you put it, it's a puzzle solver...somewhat. I may give it another go, since I did enjoy it while I had it. I just expected more action. Maybe this time, I'll find it more enjoyable since I'll be getting it for the thinking aspect rather than action.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Even though those complaints about the game are valid, SotC is from the people who made ICO. That means that this game was planned to give you a sense that you're all alone, and that it's not an ordinary adventure.

newBookmarkLockedFalling