Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Since this board's activity moves like molasses, I figured I should do something, since...well, I'm the mod. Just a brief "what's new" topic in gaming. I would've said "weekly" overview, but I don't know if I'll have enough time for that, or if there'll be that much news in the first place. =P

The title sounds like ass, though. Maybe I'll think of something later.

This is the type of thing I was gonna do in the newsletter, but that's not getting anywhere either. So...this'll sort of be like a preview of the gaming section in the newsletter...kinda. And if, for some odd reason, you get offended, be reminded that this is all told from my opinion. Internets =/= serious business kthx

Anyway, November 15th's on the horizon, which means that a crapload of games are gonna be released for every system. How many good games'll be released, however, is unknown. I'm going to keep my excitement down, because any hype I get for a game means it's going to end up sucking.

But I guess the real news is the Xbox 360 launching in North America on November 22.

So, for some discussion, who's gonna get it at launch?

I'm not.

Well, I'm planning to get it eventually, of course, but there's really no reason to get it at launch -- at least, in my opinion. Odds are that there'll be something wrong with a lot of the first-round hardware that's shipped, and if not, then I'm waiting for more games. By the time I'm done waiting, hopefully a price drop will occur, and any problems will be fixed.

I'd be lying through my teeth, though, if I said that the hardware didn't impress me. Microsoft went from the hulking Xbox to the sleeker, stylish 360. They also went from the horrible default controller, to the improved S, and now for the 360 they basically just have the S controller with the black and white buttons moved. All wireless, removable harddrive, great online service. Sounds like the ultimate gaming console, doesn't it?

It certainly does, until you get to the games, one of the reasons I'm not getting it at launch (...and the price). One thing that seems kind of weird to me is that games that are coming out for current-gen systems are also coming out on the 360 (so the game gets an Xbox and a 360 release). That just seems...kinda odd. Obviously they're in desperate need in launch games, or they just want to overhaul everybody with a quantity over quality launch title release. Also, that kind of makes it look like the 360 isn't that much of a step up from the original Xbox. Aren't generations supposed to be different from one another, with each being separately recognizable? That doesn't seem to be the case, here.

That's not to say that I'm not interested in any launch games. But most of them seem pretty generic ones that'll either be mediocre, or will have current-gen platform releases (Need for Speed, Gun, a handful of sports titles and WWII FPS's, etc.) As of now, Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, and maybe PGR3 or DoA4 seem pretty good. But that's pretty much it. I'm sure there'll be more games, but that means it'll take time, meaning that I don't need to rush to buy one at launch. Even if I wanted to, I doubt I could at this point.

Besides the 360, though, I guess there isn't that much to cover.

I beat Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GCN) around a week ago...finally. I bought it back in August but never got around to finishing it 'til now. Anyone looking for a unique RPG experience should get this. It's pretty different from most RPG's in general, and you could tell that they experimented with a lot of new ideas, as well. Disc 1's not so hot, but once you reach the end of that and start Disc 2, that's when the story really develops, and that's the point where you can start to kick some major ass.

Considering that it's probably only twenty to thirty bucks right now, anyone with a GCN and a taste for RPG's should go get this right now. Lasted me almost 70 hours, so for most people it'll probably be around a 50 hour adventure. =P

This means I'm looking for another game, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is looking pretty damn good. Shadow the Hedgehog looks promising, and while Sonic Heroes wasn't bad, it would be cool to have something of the likes of the two Sonic Adventure games again.

I guess that's pretty much all I have to say for now. If you guys have any questions, comments, or whatever else, I'll get around to replying. So go discuss and all that good stuff.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Well, that sounds fun.

For the XBox 360, I may get it... I'm not sure however, beacuse of like you mentioned, price and release games. When they release Halo 3 specifically for it, then I'll buy it.

As for BK, I'm still nowhere near done. :P But yeah, I second that its a good game. A bit slow at first, and a bit hard to get use to, but its fun.

As for Shadow the Hedgehog, they ruined it. They give Shadow guns, and it ruins the whole point to the Sonic series.

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
Although Xbox 360 sounds appealing to a wide variety of audience, I personally favour the PS3 myself. Because:

1. I'm a die hard Sony fanboy (yes, the truth and the whole truth)
2. Many Western made games don't appeal to me >.<
3. There will be heaps of Japanese games on the launch.
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a part of PS3
5. I like PS3's controller, it fits my hand perfectly whereas the Xbox 360 is for big, meaty ones.

:D

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
admin said:
Although Xbox 360 sounds appealing to a wide variety of audience, I personally favour the PS3 myself. Because:

1. I'm a die hard Sony fanboy (yes, the truth and the whole truth)
2. Many Western made games don't appeal to me >.<
3. There will be heaps of Japanese games on the launch.
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a part of PS3
5. I like PS3's controller, it fits my hand perfectly whereas the Xbox 360 is for big, meaty ones.

:D

1. Good Xylish *gives cookie*
2. Good taste in games too? *gives another cookie*
3. Yes, sounds good. I'm glad you're thinking ahead. *gives third cookie*
4. Eh, I could care less. *eats Joe's 4th cookie*
5. Yup, I feel the same way. *gives Joe one last cookie*

See, that's why Sony and PS3 pwn. People that like them get cookies. ;D

And I personally, won't be getting an Xbox 360. I've seen the graphics and though they're good, can't even compare to the PS3's. Take the 360's best looking game and stack it up against Killzone. No comparison whatsoever. PS3 will not only pwn in graphics, have more RPG's, have my favorite game(Dynasty Warriors), but it will just plain own the Xbox and Revolution.

newBookmarkLockedFalling