Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
What is EMO exactly? And why the need to appear super-rebellious and destroy everything?? Emo culture came from Punk. But today the word encompasses a lot more. I know of a lot of people who hate everything Emo. So what is it with EMO - why's it such a big pop culture thing today?
Explain someone --- I do not understand the whole EMO thing at all.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
my definition: a stupid steriotype people use against someone because they are different. Most of the time, the color black is directly related. Black hair, nailpolish, wristbands, and clothes all follow the steriotype. When someone see's someone who follows this general apperence, their first thought is "emo" which then leads them to beleive that the person cuts their wrists.

People are full of shit.
k

mukei

mukei Avatar

July 2006
Emo is emotive hardcore. Lol. No, I'm not kidding, and people starting labeling some bands that were categorized emotive harcore, and called "emotional" aka "Emo." This soon became a complete stereo type which people used to call others who looked "emotional"(usually depressed in this matter) and liked "emotional" music. Seriously, people need to understand that all forms of music is emotional.

Quite sad how stupid people are.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Glad we basically see stuff on the same level mukei. All music has some sort of emotion in it, cause all lyrics have meaning... except for some rap songs.... *glares at 50 cent*
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Fashion
Music

Shazing!

Or, if you prefer your information to be sung: youtube.com/watch?v=W6_q5mRlF00

Last Edit: Jan 8, 2007 23:53:35 GMT by Lucifer

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
fredy said:
my definition: a stupid steriotype people use against someone because they are different. Most of the time, the color black is directly related. Black hair, nailpolish, wristbands, and clothes all follow the steriotype. When someone see's someone who follows this general apperence, their first thought is "emo" which then leads them to beleive that the person cuts their wrists.

People are full of shit.

That's what the emo label's become now, though. Maybe it didn't start out like that but that's what it's evolved into, at least for the fashion sense. I don't know about wristbands, but around here all the "emo" people do that stupid huge one bang hair thing, some dye their hair black (like black black), and wear tight-ass girly shirts and jeans. Most are also music elitists and are pretty whiny, but I doubt that they cut their wrists.

It's like a weird goth style from the '80's with more color.

Music is different, though.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Lucifer, i wish i never saw that video. It pissed me off V_V

SO: Well I've been steriotyped as emo because:

1. Black clothes
2. Black hair
3. Wrist Bands
4. I dressed as a goth for halloween
5. I have worn black nailposlish to school

but do i slit my wrists? NO. Am i gay? NO. I have a girlfriend. So all you haters out there, go fuck yourself, and then have a nice day :)
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
fredy said:

1. Black clothes
2. Black hair
3. Wrist Bands

but do i slit my wrists? NO. Am i gay? NO. I have a girlfriend. So all you haters out there, go fuck yourself, and then have a nice day :)

Calm down. Are all murderers evil people? NO. But I bet you think they are. Everyone stereotypes.

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
lucifer said:
fredy said:

1. Black clothes
2. Black hair
3. Wrist Bands

Calm down. Are all murderers evil people? NO. But I bet you think they are. Everyone stereotypes.

Stereotyping is obviously subjective - It will depend on a person's preconceived notions, the origins of which are attributable to family and immediate society. But that is not to say ALL stereotyping is 100% flawed.

In this particular case: All Muderers will be labeled as evil. Because that is the first impression and most people don't go beyond that. Who will want to dig into the details and find out why Mr. X shot Mr. Y through the head? It could've been because Mr. Y killed Mr. X's entire family first. But details - most people don't bother.

And about the video - I agree with Fredy. Its disgusting.

Last Edit: Jan 9, 2007 8:24:53 GMT by slip

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
slipstream said:
lucifer said:

Stereotyping is obviously subjective - It will depend on a person's preconceived notions, the origins of which are attributable to family and immediate society. But that is not to say ALL stereotyping is 100% flawed.

In this particular case: All Muderers will be labeled as evil. Because that is the first impression and most people don't go beyond that. Who will want to dig into the details and find out why Mr. X shot Mr. Y through the head? It could've been because Mr. Y killed Mr. X's entire family first. But details - most people don't bother.

Nope. Very rarely do I assume murderers are evil simply because there is always a reason. Sometimes it's a psychological disease which would get them labeled as "evil" in my mind, or maybe it was warranted revenge. Here's an example:

A guy my sister went to school with had just gotten out of prison (or juvie, I forget which) and gone back to school. He was in "the joint" (since I don't remember, as mentioned, which place he was at specifically) because he shot a man in the head. Why? Because it was his sister's boyfriend and he was beating her. He found a gun and reacted how he knew best--with violence (he grew up in a very violent, ghetto/inner city type place). Looking back, he knows he should've handled it differently, but he's thankful for his second chance.

Point being: there was nothing evil about him. I agree that it wasn't the best option, but it was completely understandable.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
ok a murderer steriotype and an emo steriotype are totally different. Why? With the murderer your assuming they're bad because they did something bad. Weather they had a reason or not, it was still bad to take anothers life.

An emo steriotype is ASSUMING someone is suicidal and miserable because of what they wear. Fucking bullshit.
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
fredy said:
ok a murderer steriotype and an emo steriotype are totally different. Why? With the murderer your assuming they're bad because they did something bad. Weather they had a reason or not, it was still bad to take anothers life.

An emo steriotype is ASSUMING someone is suicidal and miserable because of what they wear. Fucking bullshit.

I was making a point that everyone stereotypes things that aren't true.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I agree with oyu there, but i was differentiating between a murderer and an emo steriotype.
k

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
lucifer said:
slipstream said:

Nope. Very rarely do I assume murderers are evil simply because there is always a reason. Sometimes it's a psychological disease which would get them labeled as "evil" in my mind, or maybe it was warranted revenge. Here's an example:

A guy my sister went to school with had just gotten out of prison (or juvie, I forget which) and gone back to school. He was in "the joint" (since I don't remember, as mentioned, which place he was at specifically) because he shot a man in the head. Why? Because it was his sister's boyfriend and he was beating her. He found a gun and reacted how he knew best--with violence (he grew up in a very violent, ghetto/inner city type place). Looking back, he knows he should've handled it differently, but he's thankful for his second chance.

Point being: there was nothing evil about him. I agree that it wasn't the best option, but it was completely understandable.

Your forget that I mentioned MOST PEOPLE don't go beyond first impression and not LUCIFER doesn't go beyond first impression.

wait are you telling me from that example that Revenge is actually warranted?

From my example I would definitely sympathize with Mr. X but I would definitely not "understand" or condone his subsequent action. No way. What the hell is LAW and the GOVERNMENT for if every individual starts taking out revenge on one another?

In your example --- agreed that other guy beating this guy's sister was not right --- but killing that guy?? I'd have him sentenced for life. Just cos he's probably not had sufficient education and a good enough upbringing (cos yu say he reacted the best way he knew how - by killing --- which wud definitely be something he must've seen growing up), is not good enough reason for what he did. I do not agree at all or condone his action. That's cos I'd like to think that human society has grown civilized enough upto this point for logic to play a larger role in our lives. We cannot call ourselves a civilized society and yet do stuff like that ^. That's fucking hypocritical. Did killing suddenly ease all of his sister's pain and suffering for so long? No.

There's no EVIL involved. Murder = simply not correct (for whatever reasons). That is why first impression of MURDER = bad, is also not a flawed stereotype. True -- getting to know the reasons behind something like this would undoubtedly soften our stance; but the bottomline stands. Murder is not good.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
slipstream said:
lucifer said:

Your forget that I mentioned MOST PEOPLE don't go beyond first impression and not LUCIFER doesn't go beyond first impression.

wait are you telling me from that example that Revenge is actually warranted?

From my example I would definitely sympathize with Mr. X but I would definitely not "understand" or condone his subsequent action. No way. What the hell is LAW and the GOVERNMENT for if every individual starts taking out revenge on one another?

In your example --- agreed that other guy beating this guy's sister was not right --- but killing that guy?? I'd have him sentenced for life. Just cos he's probably not had sufficient education and a good enough upbringing (cos yu say he reacted the best way he knew how - by killing --- which wud definitely be something he must've seen growing up), is not good enough reason for what he did. I do not agree at all or condone his action. That's cos I'd like to think that human society has grown civilized enough upto this point for logic to play a larger role in our lives. We cannot call ourselves a civilized society and yet do stuff like that ^. That's fucking hypocritical. Did killing suddenly ease all of his sister's pain and suffering for so long? No.

There's no EVIL involved. Murder = simply not correct (for whatever reasons). That is why first impression of MURDER = bad, is also not a flawed stereotype. True -- getting to know the reasons behind something like this would undoubtedly soften our stance; but the bottomline stands. Murder is not good.

I'm not going to bother to read your whole post if you can't take the time to properly write it.

I never said murder was right. My point was that the guy made a bad decision for the "right" reasons (ie: he wasn't killing for pleasure or because he was sold some bad coke--it was to protect a family member) and later acknowledged that it was a mistake. He was not evil nor did he have evil intent, but he was still a murderer. Therefore, he is not evil, all murderers are not evil, and my point still stands. Besides, I believe murder is good in certain cases. There are always situations where taking another human life is the best course of action, no matter what you think. But this isn't supposed to be a debate on the morality of murder, I was trying to make the point that everyone wrongly stereotypes people, murderers being one of them. If you honestly think that every murderer is evil, then I think you are mentally ill.

And also, about the beginning of your post:

Earlier you said that " All Muderers will be labeled as evil." which is wrong and I gave you a clear example of why.

newBookmarkLockedFalling