Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
lucifer said:
My point was that the guy made a bad decision for the "right" reasons (ie: he wasn't killing for pleasure or because he was sold some bad coke--it was to protect a family member) and later acknowledged that it was a mistake.

My cousin was smothered to death and murdered by her own father because he thought he was protecting her from the truth about her mother (my aunt) and our side of the family. He later realized it was a mistake. Doesn't make it right. He murdered an innocent girl for nothing beyond what he thought was his only option, obviously wrong.

I see him as evil. I have all reason in the world to want to kill him for doing what he did to my cousin, but did you see me walking into the court house with a handgun tucked away and shoot him in cold blood as revenge? No, I didn't. I let justice be served and he's serving 56 years with no chance of parole.

All murderers may not be evil, but they make bad decisions, therefore they are a threat to innocent people. Most people that make a bad decision, make some other bad decision in their life. It may be how we get through life, but some decisions are worse than others. Murderers need to stay away from innocent bystanders that's what I think. They should be locked away for life. Taking someone else's life is never tolerated in my eyes.

I was raped, but you didn't see me stabbing or shooting my rapist though I've had many chances to damn well do so.

It's a matter of opinion is what it all comes down to, I suppose. But I had to state my opinion on this matter.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
kay said:
lucifer said:
My point was that the guy made a bad decision for the "right" reasons (ie: he wasn't killing for pleasure or because he was sold some bad coke--it was to protect a family member) and later acknowledged that it was a mistake.

My cousin was smothered to death and murdered by her own father because he thought he was protecting her from the truth about her mother (my aunt) and our side of the family. He later realized it was a mistake. Doesn't make it right. He murdered an innocent girl for nothing beyond what he thought was his only option, obviously wrong.

I see him as evil. I have all reason in the world to want to kill him for doing what he did to my cousin, but did you see me walking into the court house with a handgun tucked away and shoot him in cold blood as revenge? No, I didn't. I let justice be served and he's serving 56 years with no chance of parole.

All murderers may not be evil, but they make bad decisions, therefore they are a threat to innocent people. Most people that make a bad decision, make some other bad decision in their life. It may be how we get through life, but some decisions are worse than others. Murderers need to stay away from innocent bystanders that's what I think. They should be locked away for life. Taking someone else's life is never tolerated in my eyes.

I was raped, but you didn't see me stabbing or shooting my rapist though I've had many chances to damn well do so.

It's a matter of opinion is what it all comes down to, I suppose. But I had to state my opinion on this matter.

1. I never said all murderers are good. A majority aren't, but that doesn't mean that none of them are which was my initial point.

2. I never said they weren't threats to society. However, things like that can change through therapy (since a violent upbringing making a violent person isn't a psychological disease which won't go away--if it can be created, it can be destroyed)

So I don't understand the point of your post. No, I wouldn't condone you killing him. If I knew you wanted to, I would try my hardest to stop you. But if you did it, I would completely understand, even if I didn't agree with your actions, and I wouldn't consider you evil.

Now, not that I don't love debating this topic (I've been fueling it if you haven't noticed), but we're way off track from the original intent of this thread. If someone wants to continue, feel free to make a separate thread. Otherwise, let's steer back on course. :)

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
lucifer said:
I'm not going to bother to read your whole post if you can't take the time to properly write it.

Is that so? Let me re-check. Did. It was adequately written and in complete consonance with the point I was making.

lucifer said:
I never said murder was right. My point was that the guy made a bad decision for the "right" reasons (ie: he wasn't killing for pleasure or because he was sold some bad coke--it was to protect a family member) and later acknowledged that it was a mistake. He was not evil nor did he have evil intent, but he was still a murderer. Therefore, he is not evil, all murderers are not evil, and my point still stands.

I feel like I am talking to a 10-year old.

lucifer said:
However, things like that can change through therapy (since a violent upbringing making a violent person isn't a psychological disease which won't go away--if it can be created, it can be destroyed)

o so let's just let him roam free and kill a few more people everytime he thinks he's been wronged.

lucifer said:
Besides, I believe murder is good in certain cases. There are always situations where taking another human life is the best course of action, no matter what you think. But this isn't supposed to be a debate on the morality of murder, I was trying to make the point that everyone wrongly stereotypes people, murderers being one of them. If you honestly think that every murderer is evil, then I think you are mentally ill.

Unfortunately I do not agree with your highly interesting, albeit warped sense of morality. Murder is good? Sometimes it is good to take a human life? If somebody stereotypes a murderer as evil, then it is wrong? And I am mentally ill if I think murder in itself is evil?

U are kidding right??

I will give you a real-life case. A man living alone in one of the suburbs of our Capital City has been found guilty of raping and murdering over 40 innocent children over the last 2 years. Their mutilated and decomposed bodies are gradually being recovered from the drains near his house. Eventually it was found that he was mentally unstable. So then he must not be evil right - he wasn;t in the right frame of mind. Lets just put him in rehab and he'll get better - right?

Kay is correct. All murderers should be locked up for life - away from society. They most definitely are a threat to innocent people. No matter what the reason - mental instability, revenge or cold-heartedness: taking another life is wrong. It is very easy to seek refuge in the hollow pseudo-shell of these flawed reasons to justify the murder(s). doesn't make it ethically correct. And since you apparently did not read my entire post last time ---- THE LAW AND THE GOVERNMENT are supposed to take care of matters like this. Not every random Tom, Dick and Harry who feels wronged. We aren't savages you know. Taking another life is never correct.

As for labeling and stereotyping, these are always - as I said before - based on preconceived notions and come into play upon first impression. Granted they may be flawed a lot of times. But if I am stereotyping a murderer (equivalent to a criminal whatever the hell may have done or had reason to) as evil --- I am 100% correct in doing so. This stereotype is actually very valid. Also because it runs in tandem with the SUPPOSED MORAL FABRIC of every human society. If you are condoning taking a a human life in any circumstance or situation, then I don't believe I am the one with the mental illness.

--------------------------------------

According to Wikipedia - Emo is also used as a noun, often pejoratively, to identify a member of the "emo scene" or someone viewed as fitting the "emo" stereotype easily. There is also a common stereotype that associates "emo" with self-harm, most notably cutting wrists, partly due to song lyrics associated with "emo" bands, which often speak of acts of self-destruction; however, apart from the anecdotal, there may not be a significant correlation between emo subculture and self-harm.

In this case, stereotyping is definitely going overboard.

To begin with, I don't understand why some people feel the need to state an opinion on every single static or dynamic object they can see. This is right, that is wrong. Look at him, look at her. Often, these comments get directed at people we might consider inferior at some level and are usually followed by derogatory comments and a derivation of sadistic pleasure in watching the so-called-object-of-attention squirm under a 24x7 public eye.

I hate it when people do that. Although the term "emo" as such has not filtered down to the grassroot level in much of Asia - but the concept exists. All things you don't understand - lets just call it crap and guffaw.

Its rather stupid cos most of the time the people that will be perpetually bitching and talking shit about other people and labeling them as EMO or GAY or whatever, have rather stunted IQs. And thats a fact.

I've seen this kind of thing happen to a friend of mine - constantly being laughed at and being joked about. He'd have a tough time just leaving his place to go to school or wherever. meh bottomline: All Emo-haters = get a life and do something constructive for a change.

Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 9:35:00 GMT by slip

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
slipstream said:
lucifer said:
Besides, I believe murder is good in certain cases. There are always situations where taking another human life is the best course of action, no matter what you think. But this isn't supposed to be a debate on the morality of murder, I was trying to make the point that everyone wrongly stereotypes people, murderers being one of them. If you honestly think that every murderer is evil, then I think you are mentally ill.

Unfortunately I do not agree with your highly interesting, albeit warped sense of morality. Murder is good? Sometimes it is good to take a human life? If somebody stereotypes a murderer as evil, then it is wrong? And I am mentally ill if I think murder in itself is evil?

U are kidding right??

He never said that that applied to all cases. I have to agree with Luci on this one. Wasn't there a guy that went on a killing spree in the southwest, and he targeted sex offenders that were released because of technicalities in their trials... like one guy claimed that the police didn't have a warrant to search his house, so they lost most of their evidence.

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Once more, Slip, and this gets locked.

Make a new thread or shut up.

That's as bluntly as I can put it. This is extremely off topic--get back on it.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I think this thread should be locked RIGHT NOW.

1. ITs gone WAYYYYY off-topic
2. It was a stupid topic anyways. A topic on a steriotype. Lets start a topic about what makes a person considered a "prep" next.
k

Fjörynn

Fjörynn Avatar
My fingers can touch -anything- but them selves

Official Member

November 2006
Emo? Emo I see is just a kids phase much like any other, It's oragins lie in the 80's,Spawnd by the band known as "The Cure". I just leave it alone, most kids grow out of these phases after a while.

lucifer said:
Once more, Slip, and this gets locked.

Make a new thread or shut up.

That's as bluntly as I can put it. This is extremely off topic--get back on it.

Fear not :) Ziggy has now taken the train and placed it back on it's tracks.

If you have friends that are in this "Emo" phase just give it time, their interests will move onto other things. I don't look at some phylisophical side of it or anything, it's just a phase nothing more.

Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007 11:15:54 GMT by Fjörynn

Fjörynn

Fjörynn Avatar

Official Member

November 2006
kay said:
lucifer said:

Rapists and murderers appears to carry the same thing. Mental illness, the loss of control, and the inability to to gain it back. Usually what is required is some form of mental help. A stay in a mental institution then jail to help them gain a relization of what they did and why the serve their time.

Though forgive me if I sound harsh, most really dont deserve to re-gain freedom for that sort of bahavuir, under rare cases I would agree but a majority have laready proved they are mentally unstable and arent worth risking the general population by letting them walk free.

And kay. I really think you were brave to admit to being raped, I know it takes a lot of bravery to admit somthing as harrible as that happend to you. I admire your bravery ^_^

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
First of of ziggy, welcome to the forum. :)

Second, Please don't double post. Theres an modify button for a reason :)

Third, I don't see emo as beign a "stage in ones life" because it is a steriotype, not something that people just kinda do. But lets look at it form your point of view. LEts change the emo part of it though, and sub in lets say another style of dressing..... oh... etls say "PRep". Would it be fair to say that dressing with jeans and t-shirts si just a stage and a person will grow out of it?
k

Fjörynn

Fjörynn Avatar

Official Member

November 2006
fredy said:
First of of ziggy, welcome to the forum. :)

Second, Please don't double post. Theres an modify button for a reason :)

Third, I don't see emo as beign a "stage in ones life" because it is a steriotype, not something that people just kinda do. But lets look at it form your point of view. LEts change the emo part of it though, and sub in lets say another style of dressing..... oh... etls say "PRep". Would it be fair to say that dressing with jeans and t-shirts si just a stage and a person will grow out of it?

Somtimes, Just a syle you become attached to for a short period of time is a phase, some like dressing in black and cliaming the world hates them or whatever it is they do, well alright, then as I watch months later they take on a new style. It's a phase is all.

Agian it's my opinion.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Ok dressing one way for a short period of time and then changing it a few months later would be a phase or a trend. Saying the world hates you... thats going back into the steriotype.... and people only say that when people are jerks to them. Thats called bullying. But if on the otherhand, they stay the same style for years, thats not a phase. Thats their character. Theres a difference.
k

Fjörynn

Fjörynn Avatar

Official Member

November 2006
fredy said:
Ok dressing one way for a short period of time and then changing it a few months later would be a phase or a trend. Saying the world hates you... thats going back into the steriotype.... and people only say that when people are jerks to them. Thats called bullying. But if on the otherhand, they stay the same style for years, thats not a phase. Thats their character. Theres a difference.

I don't know, an apparent problem with depressesion can be cured with an aid helping one see life in a more optomistic tone and docter reccomended and perscribed anti-depressents. A pill cannot always be the answer but depression lasting years sending this person into a downword spiral of anti-social behavuir, fits of anger should have need for help. :( Though these characteristics of depression are not ALWAYS a part of the Stereotypical person in the "Gothic" or "Emo" Sub-culture or "Style" as some put it, but sadly it does appear often in that group.

Depression is a deadly thing to live with :'(

Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007 21:31:47 GMT by Fjörynn

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
fredy said:

I almost get the feeling that you're stereotyping people as stereotypers when they're not.

Hey, I used to be that guy who thought he was useless, the world didn't care, and I even attempted suicide once.

No more.

I wear all black.

No more (kinda--I'm becoming less picky about whether or not a shirt is black or red or brown or grey or whatever).

Point is, most of these things are just phases. The people who don't grow out of them (like the middle-aged mothers dressing like schoolyard skanks) are just in delusion.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I willa gree that often the cae is the same that people get depressed and alot of the times they use rebellion to their advantage, but my point is, this isn't ALWAYS the case. That is what a steriotype is. An assumption cocnerning a person(s) based on a beleive that you or a large group of people have.
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
fredy said:
I willa gree that often the cae is the same that people get depressed and alot of the times they use rebellion to their advantage, but my point is, this isn't ALWAYS the case. That is what a steriotype is. An assumption cocnerning a person(s) based on a beleive that you or a large group of people have.

The Emo fashion and lifestyle is still a trend, though.

newBookmarkLockedFalling