Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
This is a common problem in all multi-racial societies. You got the majority and you got the minorities, based on caste, creed, color, religion, orientation etc. Now what should a good government do? DO what's right for all (even if that may be not so good for one or more minorities) or attempt to appease everyone (which may not be good for the nation as a whole)??

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'd say go with an in between. They need to attempt to please as many as possible without hurting the nation. However, this just doesn't seem to be a feasible solution as there's always those who are gonna think things like white supremacy or that all other religions are inferior. The simplest way is to "colorblind" young children and get them used to being familiar and comfortable with all of the different items in the world. This doesn't work though, because if it's done at school, the second they get home they're under the influence of their parents and will take a similar approach to how they react.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
They have to do what is right for the majority of the people. They cannot bend their knees to make every little thing better for the majority. Reverse discrimination is worse than simple discrimination since you are blocking out a group 3-4 times larger. That is why I was quite happy with the state of Michigan (A first, to be honest) last fall when the voters ended Affirmative Action in all public places. It's not right that a minority gets treated different because they are a minority, but it is just as bad when a majority gets treated differently when they are a majority. Equality for all, not just equality for the minorities because they feel they need it more than we do. I shouldn't have a harder time getting into college since a minority already has a headstart in the applications process. That's just dumb
This is my old account. This is my new account

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I know exactly where that's coming from. Minorities have quotas when applying to college here in India. SO that means even if you scored a 40%, u get a seat at a really awesome college just cos you're "supposedly" from the OBC minority (other backward classes - their ancestors were poor) and you got normal kids scoring 90% and not getting through. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
slipstream said:
I know exactly where that's coming from. Minorities have quotas when applying to college here in India. SO that means even if you scored a 40%, u get a seat at a really awesome college just cos you're "supposedly" from the OBC minority (other backward classes - their ancestors were poor) and you got normal kids scoring 90% and not getting through. :P

Exactly. You need a 26 on the ACT (It's out of 36, average score is 21) to get into the University of Michigan. if you are a minority, you can get in with a 24. Or could, rather. Can't anymore. And these kids were getting in over kids that were getting above 32's, which is the top 8% in the nation. *shakes head*

This is my old account. This is my new account

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I know! I mean if we really need to "uplift" the minorities - say in education, then provide a larger platform for them during school and primary education - but when school is over then college applications should solely be based on merit and at that stage, all students should be at an equal level.

newBookmarkLockedFalling