Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
This is a little different. Now it so happens that when parents grow old, they equal a lot more care and responsibility. And especially if they are sick all the time, things can pretty much flare up at home. In today's world, people are moving or wanting to move ahead at an incredibly fast pace. So at times, old parents can seem like an added burden. A lot of families send off the grandpa's and grannies to the old-age homes where they're taken care of. SO here's my question: Is it OK to make sure that they're being taken care of but by somebody else? Or should they stay with you no matter what (cos they're ur parents for crying out loud)??

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Hm... its hard to say... personally, i won't be living with my parents when they get that age... but ya. I have a lot of love and respect for them and i don't know if I'd be able to trust the nurses at nursing homes. My mom is a nurse and she has told em that some of the nurses at those places treat the elderly like crap.
k

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Exactly. But then again, the concept is relative to the society. Society in the west is much more progressive. And a lot more families send their elderly parents to old-age homes (which could be better at least in that they're getting 24x7 care). In India, society still has a long way to go. So here most old people generally stay with their families. A very weird thing happened a couple of months ago. I was out with a couple of friends and we went to a local grocery store and there we see an old woman sitting alone outside with a bag of clothes in her hands. Apparently she was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and did not have much of any idea how she got there. We investigated and found out that she'd been dumped their by her son - who had apparently taken off for UK with his family and he didn;t want her burden on his shoulders. Poor woman. When asked, she said she was waiting for her son to take her home. It was so heart-wrenching. We eventually got her into an old-age home.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Personally, I would never burden myself with taking care of my mom. She's never really taken care of me, so why should I do that for her?

Now in general...I think it depends on the type of relationship you have with your parents.

newBookmarkLockedFalling