Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newPollBookmarkLockedFalling

Matt

Matt Avatar

needs moar dragonfly

February 2006
Kay Avatar
I honestly don't care whose fault it is. Until any Windows program can be run on a Mac with no problems, then I don't want the damn thing. I prefer Windows to a Mac any day.

You can run any Windows program on a Mac through VMware fusion.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
That video is like 6 years old. If not more.

And it was made.... on a Mac.

Also, basicly nothing in that video is true anymore. Dragging = copy. Crashing = rare. I've only had about 2 crashes in 2/3 months. Both were FireFox when having about 50 tabs open.

Last Edit: May 22, 2008 8:50:45 GMT by Simie

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
You guys probably have seen this one too... click This one is old too, but I still find it funny. :P

Last Edit: May 29, 2008 2:39:00 GMT by Chris

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Link's broken.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Theres a space at the end of the URL. just remove it.

None of that is true anymore :P Bootcamp. Bo Its possible to open up an iMac and replace the GFX card, just not something you would want to do. (Just like how PC users didn't used to want to open their cases :P )

And the Mac Pro is very easy to upgrade.

I myself play Team Fortress 2 on my MacBook Pro at full graphics, 1920x1200px at 24fps. If thats not good for games, I don't know what is :P

(Oblivion also runs at max)

Last Edit: May 27, 2008 15:26:48 GMT by Simie

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
There is no real reason to choose a Mac over a Windows machine.

Mac is not that much more stable than Windows, it's just that nobody cares, yet, to attack Mac since it does not have a lot of the market share. The more it gets, you'll see the more and more viruses come around, and the more insecure you see the operating system is.

Now that Mac uses an Intel chip, you can install Mac applications on Windows, and can install a Mac OS onto a PC.

The price you pay for a Mac is for hardware you cannot upgrade, which is just utterly pointless.

A lot of people claim Mac is better for editing, video or audio. Bullshit, Windows applications can keep up and far surpass, if you're using 64-bit.

Here's the real kicker. I forgot what company did this, but they lined up a bunch of computers and allowed hackers to go at them. Mac fell first. The last one to fall was Windows Vista. So don't tell me an ignorant Windows user will get a virus before an Ignorant Mac user.

I don't have to pay for a Firewall or anti-virus. For one, my router acts as one, the built-in Windows firewall works well enough, and for other measures, there are free ones out there. Anti-virus, I haven't paid for that in a long time. I use AVG or Avast!, which I've used for a long time and they are 100% free and work better than anything else I've used.

Just because I am Microsoft Certified does not mean I am biased toward Windows, I believe there is no reason why one should choose one over another. Windows Vista is more secure than OSX.

Matt

Matt Avatar

needs moar dragonfly

February 2006
Jim Avatar
There is no real reason to choose a Mac over a Windows machine.

Mac is not that much more stable than Windows, it's just that nobody cares, yet, to attack Mac since it does not have a lot of the market share. The more it gets, you'll see the more and more viruses come around, and the more insecure you see the operating system is.

When people actually start trying to attack Macs, we'll see what Apple does. Since this hasn't happened yet, you don't know what will happen.

Now that Mac uses an Intel chip, you can install Mac applications on Windows, and can install a Mac OS onto a PC.

Never seen a PC running Mac applications. A link for this would be nice. I am curious about this.

As for running OS X on a PC, if you are referring to OSx86, then you are right. It is possible to install Leopard on a PC. But trust me, it is nowhere near stable enough to run frequently, and most machines can not run it perfectly. I've messed with OSx86 before, so I know this. As far as running Windows on a Mac though, that runs smooth as silk.

A lot of people claim Mac is better for editing, video or audio. Bullshit, Windows applications can keep up and far surpass, if you're using 64-bit.

I don't know very much about this, but if that was true, then most people who work for companies involved with digital media and music would use PC's...but they don't.

Here's the real kicker. I forgot what company did this, but they lined up a bunch of computers and allowed hackers to go at them. Mac fell first. The last one to fall was Windows Vista. So don't tell me an ignorant Windows user will get a virus before an Ignorant Mac user.

I know what you are talking about, but I also can't think of the name. Honestly, that doesn't prove anything. The Mac user found one exploit and so did the PC user. If I remember correctly, this contest went for a day without anyone being able to crack any of them. It wasn't until they were allowed to download programs from the internet that the hacker used a Quicktime exploit. It took the hacker only a few minutes to do this, so it sounds like he was prepared and new what he was going to do even before the contest started.

I don't have to pay for a Firewall or anti-virus. For one, my router acts as one, the built-in Windows firewall works well enough, and for other measures, there are free ones out there. Anti-virus, I haven't paid for that in a long time. I use AVG or Avast!, which I've used for a long time and they are 100% free and work better than anything else I've used.

You paid for your router. As for the freeware programs, if viruses become a problem for Macs, then I am sure someone will make one for OS X.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim: That Mac that "fell" was a MacBook Air. It was done in about 3 minutes using a program that was hosted online and run online that the guy took 10 hours to write. This wasn't some hacker coming in and taking it out in one fell sweep. He prepared weeks in advance to do this.

Mac apps cannot be run on Windows... yet. It is coming. It is. But it's not there yet. And yes, OS X can be run on any Intel or AMD based machine (for the most part) but it is still very glitchy. You cannot update it so you have to do a fresh install every single time you want to update to the latest release and that is more than inconvienent.

And while it is true that Macs get fewer viruses, it is also true what you said. Then again, the way apps are installed and run on the Mac, I think it is rather difficult for you to get a virus unless you are a complete dumbass. Of course, the same could be said about a PC. I have to give the edge to the Mac due to the lack of viruses but I am sure once its market share increases (which is happening, whether Windows users want to admit it or not), viruses will begin to sneak their ways onto machines. But that is where TimeMachine comes in. One of the greatest pieces of software ever to be created, in my opinion.

As for not being able to upgrade them... what? Are you serious? You can upgrade almost anything on the newer Mac Products. RAM, Hard Drives, batteries, etc. are all easily accessible. Even their MacBook line is. I've personally taken out my hard drive, battery, and RAM modules and all in about a minute. Turn one thing to get the battery out. Take out four screws to get the covering off for the RAM and Hard Drive. Push a button (or lapse, whatever you wanna call it) for each one and they all pop out. I didn't have anything to replace them with but I could double my RAM and get a 250GB hard drive (compared to my current 120 GB) for about $200 which, to be honest, is about what I paid to do the same to my PC.

Plug And Play... you're two minute install would take less than 2 seconds for me. I never saw an install dialog or a prompt or anything for either of the three printers I have used with my MacBook, two of which I access regularly wirelessly. USB Flash Drives... no searching for hardware. No searching for drivers. Just plug it in and you automatically see the files. The most annoying software in the world (U3) which came on my GeekSquad drive doesn't work either, so that is a plus too.

"Actually it is a proven fact that more programs are compatible with Windows then with Macs."
That is one of the most uninformed, idiotic things I have read in quite a while.

"So what? I don't want to buy something that is extremely slow and costs $2500. Also we can do the same - try an Eee PC, they only cost $500 and are relatively fast."
while I do agree that the Air is useless at the moment (it is the future of computing though. Everything is going wireless and no one can detest that), the Eee PC is hardly a viable comparison given the fact that the Eee PC runs Linux (or has since its inception). Yes, Windows is coming to it. But it isn't Vista. It isn't even real XP. It's a stripped down version of it.

Windows Live Messenger not working for a Mac is purely Microsoft's fault. Though they have added video and audio chat and games should be in the next version (at the moment, the video chat is only available to Windows Live Business users). Adium is a formidable messenger and supports every client imagineable (and will even support the new favorite of my friends soon, Facebook chat). iChat is better than any application I have ever used for video chat, btw. Just wish it would add some more clients. It is possible to do WLM and YIM and the like but difficult to do and glitchy at times. And, as has been said, you can run WLM very well on a Mac. Just install VMware or Parallels or WINE. Your choice.

"I think Microsoft has been generous enough creating Mac versions of all their Office programs. e.g. Word is much better than TextEdit (ugh!)."
That comment right there is just ignorant. TextEdit (as mentioned) is not an Office competitor and is not intended to be. TextEdit is a better version of WordPad and nothing else. If you want an Office competitor, get the iWork suite. Pages is a fairly good Word counterpart. Keynote is by far better than PowerPoint. Numbers and Excel are good but I have to give Excel the upper hand here.

"I honestly don't care whose fault it is. Until any Windows program can be run on a Mac with no problems, then I don't want the damn thing. I prefer Windows to a Mac any day."
They can already do that, for the most part.

Whoever said that Microsoft allowed Windows to be run through BootCamp... I am gonna say it. You. Are. An. Idiot. Windows is allowed to run on any machine given that have paid for it. They limit how many virtualized copies you can have in their TOS but that isn't restricted by the actual OS. And this was only imposed after Vista was released. OSx86 is a great project. I have tried it and it does work, though it is incredibly glitchy at times and updating isn't possible. This project isn't authorized, however Apple has done nothing to stop it except for a letter to the website asking them to stop promoting the illegal distribution of Leopard. Oh yeah, worth mentioning. PC Magazine: The best Windows computer is a Mac. Macs run Windows better than any PC on the market.

Also... the Apple model of only allowing OS X on their machines works great. Yes, they are expensive. Unlike a PC, however, there isn't a need to completely upgrade your computer when the new version of an OS comes out. Leopard will run on any machine that has been released by Apple in the last 5-7 years. I doubt Windows can claim the same. They can't even allow their lower end users to take full advantage of its bloated interface.

And... the whole "Let's release 42 versions of Windows, each adding one more feature over the last one" is shit. Total shit. I paid for the OS. Give me the damn OS. You advertise Vista as having all these great features but to get every single one of them, you have to buy the most expensive version. Release one damned version. Is it that difficult?

Yes, I love Mac vs. PC debates.

Last Edit: May 27, 2008 23:07:53 GMT by Josh

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Nice one Jessica :)

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Can anybody summarize what's happened here? I'd look myself, but everybody seems to be a windbag. I don't wanna read all of that! >.<
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Scorpian Avatar
Can anybody summarize what's happened here? I'd look myself, but everybody seems to be a windbag. I don't wanna read all of that! >.<

Just read Jessica's post... she more or less replied to everything against Macs. :P

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Quinine Avatar
Well.

I'm a huge windows supporter, and I absolutely hate Macintosh.

Mac supporters say:
Macs don't get viruses.

Windows supporters say:
True, but Windows viruses are fairly uncommon. With twelve years of using a PC, I have never had a virus. 36% of reported Windows viruses are lies, and you have to be pretty stupid to download one. There are reliable anti-virus programs for PC's too.

Mac supporters say:
We're more compatible with everything.

Windows supporters say:
Actually it is a proven fact that more programs are compatible with Windows then with Macs.

Mac supporters say:
We have a notebook that can fit inside an envelope!!1!

Windows supporters say:
So what? I don't want to buy something that is extremely slow and costs $2500. Also we can do the same - try an Eee PC, they only cost $500 and are relatively fast.

Well, those are my thoughts for now.

Feedback appreciated.

Macs are far more flexible then a windows machine. A windows machine can't run Mac OS X 10.5, Windows XP, and all Linux distributions on the same machine.

The Eee is a linux based/built pc and there for eliminates it from this debate. In fact, installing windows on an Eee is something I would highly suggest not doing. It's a system built to run Linux, nothing else. Installing anything other then open source software would ruin it's purpose. Windows also may have problems finding drivers for some of the hardware the Eee uses as well.

Mac is the way to go. Buy one now, and ten years later, you can still use it. I have a Apple 6500/250 that I bought in 1997 running Mac OS 8.6 and Ubuntu 6.06LTS and it's faster then my windows machine from the same time period. It's hands down more reliable then any windows machine, and can run almost any program that windows will run, as well as programs for mac, and linux.

Also, look at the fact that Mac OS X is based upon Unix. this makes it extremely suited for data recoveries. A windows machine won't mount the drive when you need it to, and if it does, it's almost guaranteed that you'll corrupt something .

Look also at the fact that macs were the first to adapt USB and Firewire. With the release of USB 3 and Firewire 3200 are soon to be released, and this again puts apples macintosh systems ahead in the game. Apple adapts new hardware before any one else, and they do it right the first time. Look at multitouch. Everyone makes a big deal out of it. My iBook G4 has multitouch. A laptop that was made four years ago, and just over a year ago, microsoft was making a big deal out of a multitouch table.

They've always been ahead of the game, they've always done things right. Microsoft can't say the same.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Not one to go after Apple but being able to use two fingers on your trackpad to right click and scroll isn't really multitouch. Maybe back then, but not now. I wouldn't even consider the Air and Pro trackpads to be multitouch and they are loads ahead of your iBook and my MacBook.

newPollBookmarkLockedFalling