Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newPollBookmarkLockedFalling

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Well.

I'm a huge windows supporter, and I absolutely hate Macintosh.

Mac supporters say:
Macs don't get viruses.

Windows supporters say:
True, but Windows viruses are fairly uncommon. With twelve years of using a PC, I have never had a virus. 36% of reported Windows viruses are lies, and you have to be pretty stupid to download one. There are reliable anti-virus programs for PC's too.

Mac supporters say:
We're more compatible with everything.

Windows supporters say:
Actually it is a proven fact that more programs are compatible with Windows then with Macs.

Mac supporters say:
We have a notebook that can fit inside an envelope!!1!

Windows supporters say:
So what? I don't want to buy something that is extremely slow and costs $2500. Also we can do the same - try an Eee PC, they only cost $500 and are relatively fast.

Well, those are my thoughts for now.

Feedback appreciated.

glitch

glitch Avatar
Your zipper is undone.

Official Member

May 2008
Windows.

Purely because I've never used anything else.

It has come to my attention that there are an infinite amount of universes. Since there are, in fact, infinite universes, there are infinite possibilities. Since there are infinite possibilities it is only logical that in one of these universes, I am an omnipotent God. As God, I have transcended through the universes to this one, to let you know that your milk is about to go bad.

Çђǻø§.128™

Çђǻø§.128™ Avatar

Official Member

July 2006
im a windows person, but only because im extremely unfamiliar with macs, and when i tried (and ive tried several times) it didnt turn out too well XD

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Quinine Avatar
Mac supporters say:
Macs don't get viruses.

Windows supporters say:
True, but Windows viruses are fairly uncommon. With twelve years of using a PC, I have never had a virus. 36% of reported Windows viruses are lies, and you have to be pretty stupid to download one. There are reliable anti-virus programs for PC's too.

Heh, so Mac still wins there?

Mac supporters say:

Windows supporters say:
Actually it is a proven fact that more programs are compatible with Windows then with Macs.

I guess you've never heard of Bootcamp? Or VMWare/Parallels? Or Wine? There are enough ways (Wine is even free) to get applications running on Mac when they are designed for PC.

Mac supporters say:

Windows supporters say:
So what? I don't want to buy something that is extremely slow and costs $2500. Also we can do the same - try an Eee PC, they only cost $500 and are relatively fast.

Stop. Eee PC is linux, not Windows. While it can run Windows, thats like using BootCamp to install windows on a mac.[/quote]

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Simie Avatar
Quinine Avatar
Mac supporters say:
Macs don't get viruses.

Windows supporters say:

I guess you've never heard of Bootcamp? Or VMWare/Parallels? Or Wine? There are enough ways (Wine is even free) to get applications running on Mac when they are designed for PC.

Stop. Eee PC is linux, not Windows. While it can run Windows, thats like using BootCamp to install windows on a mac.
[/quote]

You wish. Tie. ;D

Microsoft Corporation allowed these to be built, otherwise there would be major copyright infringement. Just goes to show that Windows is more [lame]friendlier[/lame] then Mac.

Macintosh is user-friendly, but it's picky about its friends.

Stop. Eee PC is linux, not Windows. While it can run Windows, thats like using BootCamp to install windows on a mac.

Precisely. So your above point is contradictory.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006

You wish. Tie. ;D

How so? You have to pay for Firewall and Anti-Virus, and we don't?

Microsoft Corporation allowed these to be built, otherwise there would be major copyright infringement. Just goes to show that Windows is more [lame]friendlier[/lame] then Mac.

Excuse me? Microsoft allowed them to be built? There is not a damn thing they can do about it. Bootcamp doesn't infringe copyright, any more than duel booting vista and XP does. Virtualization... Microsoft attempted to restrict that, but failed miserably.

Precisely. So your above point is contradictory.

There is still virtualialization, remember. And Wine. And try running a Mac program on Windows. Oh wait, you can't.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I'll still stick with Windows. I don't like how Mac limits things such as MSN/Windows Live, etc.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Actually mac viruses do exist. I've discussed this with people too many times.

Granted, it's a smaller chance though! :)

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

It is possible! ;)

Matt

Matt Avatar

needs moar dragonfly

February 2006
Macs are better. They're slightly over priced for the hardware, but it is worth it for the operating system(even though you can run OS X on most desktops or laptops with Intel or AMD chips).

Kay Avatar
I'll still stick with Windows. I don't like how Mac limits things such as MSN/Windows Live, etc.

That's actually Microsoft's fault. If they would make Mac versions of their software then you could. Since they don't, I have VMware Fusion running Vista so I can be on Windows Live and Leopard at the same time.

Mac supporters say:
Macs don't get viruses.

Windows supporters say:

Ignorant Windows users are more likely to get viruses than ignorant Mac users. I think that is all I need to say.

Mac supporters say:

Windows supporters say:

When Apple says that things "just work" with Macs, they are probably talking about hardware. When you plug in a printer or some other USB device to your PC, you will probably have to take a few minutes to download the drivers for it. With Macs, they come with most of those drivers preinstalled, so all you have to do is plug it in and go. As for the software, Simie is right, you can run any program if you use a Mac and run a Windows OS with VMware Fusion, but you can't run Mac only applications if you run Windows(And if you are thinking about using VMware Workstation, it doesn't have support for running any OS X operating systems, but you can work around it. It's glitchy though).

Mac supporters say:

Windows supporters say:

There's nothing wrong with making a laptop thinner. Just because Apple sells ultra portable laptops that aren't great does not mean their entire product line is horrible. The Mac Book Air is a waste of money right now, but I have a feeling that the next upgrade for it will make it a very desirable laptop.

Last Edit: May 20, 2008 20:21:28 GMT by Matt

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Kay Avatar

I find Adium to be much nicer than WLM. I never used webcam/games anyway...

: They can get viruses if you install them. Its impossible for them to get viruses unless you let it be installed.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It's possible for any system to -technically- get a virus. Just most are specifically designed for Windows, thus Windows-based viruses are much more common.

I'm a Windows person myself, but only because I've only ever used Windows. I'd probably like OS X, or even Linux, I've just never used them for more than 10-20 minutes. I've helped my friend with his Linux install because he couldn't get it to work. I've had to use a Mac before, but it was really just looking something up online. I still just prefer Windows because it's what I'm familiar with, and there's no real struggle to get it to run the programs I use.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Matt Avatar
Macs are better. They're slightly over priced for the hardware, but it is worth it for the operating system(even though you can run OS X on most desktops or laptops with Intel or AMD chips).

Kay Avatar

That's actually Microsoft's fault. If they would make Mac versions of their software then you could. Since they don't, I have VMware Fusion running Vista so I can be on Windows Live and Leopard at the same time.

Ignorant Windows users are more likely to get viruses than ignorant Mac users. I think that is all I need to say.

When Apple says that things "just work" with Macs, they are probably talking about hardware. When you plug in a printer or some other USB device to your PC, you will probably have to take a few minutes to download the drivers for it. With Macs, they come with most of those drivers preinstalled, so all you have to do is plug it in and go. As for the software, Simie is right, you can run any program if you use a Mac and run a Windows OS with VMware Fusion, but you can't run Mac only applications if you run Windows(And if you are thinking about using VMware Workstation, it doesn't have support for running any OS X operating systems, but you can work around it. It's glitchy though).

Mac supporters say:

Windows supporters say:

There's nothing wrong with making a laptop thinner. Just because Apple sells ultra portable laptops that aren't great does not mean their entire product line is horrible. The Mac Book Air is a waste of money right now, but I have a feeling that the next upgrade for it will make it a very desirable laptop.

The following is not meant to start a flame war.

We have plug-and-play. My new printer was installed in 2 mins.

Excuse me?! What are you suggesting?!

True fact:
15 out of 20 people use Windows.
4 out of 20 people use Macintosh.
1 in 20 people use Linux.

You tell me why. :)

I think Microsoft has been generous enough creating Mac versions of all their Office programs. e.g. Word is much better than TextEdit (ugh!).

What about Macintosh? Don't see them being nowhere near as generous?

Last Edit: May 21, 2008 10:16:55 GMT by Quinine

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Quinine Avatar
Matt Avatar

The following is not meant to start a flame war.

Excuse me?! What are you suggesting?!

True fact:

I think Microsoft has been generous enough creating Mac versions of all their Office programs. e.g. Word is much better than TextEdit (ugh!).

What about Macintosh? Don't see them being nowhere near as generous?

True fact:

Very well, I shall.

Windows plays games. Windows managed to get a head start, while Mac had a slow start. People like to stay where they are (Read above posts, eg Chris')

TextEdit is better than WordPad.

And iWork is cheaper than office, yet better?

Great, mine was installed in 5 seconds when it was plugged into another computer over a network.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I honestly don't care whose fault it is. Until any Windows program can be run on a Mac with no problems, then I don't want the damn thing. I prefer Windows to a Mac any day.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Kay Avatar
I honestly don't care whose fault it is. Until any Windows program can be run on a Mac with no problems, then I don't want the damn thing. I prefer Windows to a Mac any day.

www.winehq.com

Thats what they're trying to do.

newPollBookmarkLockedFalling