Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
Apple just released Safari for Windows XP and Vista.

I must say that it is almost identical to the Mac OS X version (except for the minimize, restore/maximize, and close buttons), and it definitely has the nicest default skin.

<developer talk>

I assume that it uses the Webkit engine, and if it does, I can't wait to start trying out the <canvas> tag.

</developer talk>

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

veelox
I got it right when the new site released. I've found it really nice, but kinda crashy (crashes every time I try and add a bookmark using the bookmark button and when reporting a bug).

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
Ya, I noticed it crashes a lot too. I don't use it as my default browser, as I can't live without my FF add-ons :P

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

fireindy

fireindy Avatar

Official Member

May 2007
Thank god I can now test codes on Safari. You always get people asking about Safari problems. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Oh joy. Time to fix half the codes in the database. :P

Yeah, I got the beta as soon as Josh linked me. It's nice, but it messes with some sites. I'll be sticking with FireFox for the time being.

windwaker

windwaker Avatar
Hey!

Dedicated Member

October 2005
I've been wanting this for the longest time now. But does anyone know if it's better than firefox? Faster than firefox, and/or safer than firefox. Apple says it's better, but then again they might just be saying to make people choose it because it's their product.

And does anyone know when the non-beta version is coming up?

Windows and firefox are going to have some tough competition.

Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 17:29:35 GMT by windwaker

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Took me a while to get it working on my Windows partition, 'cause I had too many fonts installed.
That caused the menu to have a two-letter offset and some pages to not display anything. I fixed it by editing the Fonts.plist in the Local Settings/Application Data/Apple Computer/Safari folder, or something like that.
Overall, it's quite fast, and doesn't crash for me, but I can't live without my mouse gestures. I'm sticking with FF until I figure out how to add some add-ons.
#intj (Mastermind)^

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Safari sucks. Yesh I faced the same problem with the fonts.plist file -- In my comp, it was listing fonts till only "L" and everything after that vanished. So I started with invisible menu and websites with verdana or tahoma font as blank. Thats been fixed now. Opera opens sites 5 times as fast as Safari. Don't see whats the hype abt. :P And yesh it takes as long as Firefox 2 to start.

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
slipstream said:
Safari sucks. Yesh I faced the same problem with the fonts.plist file -- In my comp, it was listing fonts till only "L" and everything after that vanished. So I started with invisible menu and websites with verdana or tahoma font as blank. Thats been fixed now. Opera opens sites 5 times as fast as Safari. Don't see whats the hype abt. :P And yesh it takes as long as Firefox 2 to start.
Mine only went to B. :P

Mine actually went pretty fast for loading and starting up though, so I think I'll switch if I ever find add-ons/skins. I don't like how it doesn't match my system.
#intj (Mastermind)^

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
tobias, i love you! My safari was doing that too, but got it fixed :D

Windwaker, Safari 3's official release is when Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) comes out, in october. And also, you can run the tests, safari does excel quite nicely over FF and IE.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I dont know abt that comparison wit FF --- it might start a lil faster than FF - but FF still has tons of awesome features and renders web-pages almost flawlessly whch is more than I can say for Safari. Obviously u cannot compare Safari with Opera. Opera is superior and in its own class altogether. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling