Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

RS

RS Avatar

Dedicated Studio Member

February 2007
Well I hope not ! :(

Here read this for more info!

Hurry up we have only 7 days.

As you may well have read in the media, The founder Mark Zuckerberg has been taken to a federal court in the US regarding original ownership.

The case, which has been running for over 3 years, is between Facebook and rival social networking site ConnectU.

ALL IN FAVOUR OF KEEPING FACEBOOK AS IT IS JOIN THIS GROUP AND INVITE ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS.

With lawsuit pending, Facebook could shut down

Students react to possible closing of networking site

Imagine a life without Facebook – and think quick, because the owners of ConnectU, a rival social networking site, are seeking to shut down Facebook after alleging that its creator, Mark Zuckerberg, stole their ideas.

The founders of ConnectU said Zuckerberg, Facebook’s CEO and founder, agreed to help finish a computer code for their Web site but stalled and eventually launched Facebook. The lawsuit against him includes fraud, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets. ConnectU’s founders are asking the court to shutdown Facebook and give control of the company and its assets to them.

ConnectU originally filed a suit in 2004, but it was dismissed on a technicality and immediately re-filed. The owners of ConnectU, brothers Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss and Divya Narenda, claim that in 2002 they began working on a social networking site for the Harvard community called the Harvard Connection.

In 2003, the founders of ConnectU asked Zuckerberg to complete software and database work on the site. After being asked repeatedly to finish, Zuckerberg assured them he was working hard to complete it, the lawsuit said.

“Such statements were false and Zuckerberg never intended to provide the code and instead intended to breach his promise ... and intended to steal the idea for the Harvard Connection and in fact he did so,” the suit claims.

Facebook launched in February 2004 and currently has 71 million users. ConnectU launched three months after Facebook and only has approximately 70,000 users.

According to court filings, Facebook’s attorneys said ConnectU has no evidence against Zuckerberg and deny he stole the ideas from his

fellow classmates.

“Each of them had different interests and activities,” Zuckerberg’s attorneys wrote. “Only one of them had an idea significant enough to build a great company. That one person was

Mark Zuckerberg.”

Zuckerberg, the Winklevosses and Narenda could not be contacted before press time.

IU doctoral student Wayne Buente, who teaches a class focusing on the benefits of social networking, said the allegations made by ConnectU seem to be serious

Plaintiffs: The Facebook, Inc. and Mark Zuckerberg

Defendants: ConnectU, LLC, Pacific Northwest Software, Inc., Winston Williams, Tyler Winklevoss, Divya Narendra, David Gucwa, Wayne Chang and Cameron Winklevoss

Case Number: 5:2007cv01389
Filed: March 9, 2007

Court: California Northern District Court
Office: San Jose Office [ Court Info ]
County: Santa Clara
Presiding Judge: Magistrate Judge Richard Seeborg

Nature of Suit: Other Statutes - Other Statutory Actions
Cause: 28:1442 Petition for Removal
Jurisdiction: Federal Question
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff

Follow the entire case since march 9th 2007 until october 4 2007 here
news.justia.com/cases/337138/

news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1276903,00.html

news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029694,49291837,00.htm

business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2134456,00.html

technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/....icle2125952.ece

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/23/wfbook123.xml

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227872/site/newsweek/

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Um... yeah. They settled on Tuesday. ConnectU is now owned by Facebook and the 4 owners of ConnectU own an undisclosed amount of Facebook which is reported to rival Microsoft's 1.6% stake Btw, when Microsoft bought part of Facebook and people were saying that Microsoft valued it at $16 billion, completely false. They paid for a stake in Facebook as well as a jumpstart into social networking, some ad placement, and some other things that I don't remember. Their money wasn't all for the shares of Facebook.

RS

RS Avatar

Dedicated Studio Member

February 2007
WoW! :o

Ummm I don't get it, how is Facebook owned ConnectU ?

Didn't they say that ConnectU want Facebook or something like that?...

Last Edit: Jul 4, 2008 13:22:08 GMT by RS

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
They wanted money because the guy who created Facebook (cannot remember how to spell his name) stole the business model from fellow Harvard students. So they settled the case. Part of the settlement is that ConnectU ownership is passed over to Facebook and the old owners of ConnectU (two brothers, a girl, and the brothers' dad) get between 1-2% of Facebook ownership, making them millionaires for the most part.

Btw, I believe the group that that message came from was started back in March/April. Much more than 7 days ago. ;)

Last Edit: Jul 4, 2008 13:42:49 GMT by Josh

RS

RS Avatar

Dedicated Studio Member

February 2007
lol yeh :P

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
... what a waste of a court case. :P
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
No, not really. The idea of Facebook was stolen, or the business model was at least. That much is obvious by the fact that they settled before a judge could pass judgement.

RS

RS Avatar

Dedicated Studio Member

February 2007
Yeh but it wasn't stolen... =/

Because : "Each of them had different interests and activities"

And because he programmed the whole damn thing :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
He stole the business model and a great amount of features that the group had thought up.

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Tough Shit. They should have put out sooner.

It's not his fault they suck. They're just mad.

And honestly, you can't really put a law suite on some one over ideas, that's bull shit. Maybe they should have kept to them selves.

All this is, is a money issue. That's all any of these types of things are.

hpmad

hpmad Avatar

September 2005
weird. but that group petition it is stupid... i dont really care all that much if facebook closes, even though i use it regularly

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

And honestly, you can't really put a law suite on some one over ideas, that's bull shit. Maybe they should have kept to them selves.

Actually, you can. An idea can be trademarked and patented. It's intellectual property. Just like images you design have an automatic copyright. It's yours.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
MySpace > Facebook.

I really could care less if Facebook had closed down anyways. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar

Actually, you can. An idea can be trademarked and patented. It's intellectual property. Just like images you design have an automatic copyright. It's yours.

But if there's not a filed patent, copyright, or trademark... there's little that really can be done.

I'd be surprised if anything actually happens. If anything, the owner will be slapped with a fine.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Jim Avatar
Josh Avatar

But if there's not a filed patent, copyright, or trademark... there's little that really can be done.

I'd be surprised if anything actually happens. If anything, the owner will be slapped with a fine.

I think Jessica said that in the end, Facebook took over Connectu or whatever it was and that the owners got like 1% share of Facebook... which is a lot.

Kay: Facebook > You then.

newBookmarkLockedFalling