Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Alright I never understood the purpose of these. Yeah it tests a specific subject, but wouldn't AP exam do the same? I am very confused and don't understand the benefit of this as opposed to an AP exam.
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
The state of Michigan is telling people not to worry about SATs at all unless you've been specifically instructed by the college you want to apply to to take them. Apparently it is an outdated test compared to AP Tests and the ACT.

stoner
Josh Avatar
The state of Michigan is telling people not to worry about SATs at all unless you've been specifically instructed by the college you want to apply to to take them. Apparently it is an outdated test compared to AP Tests and the ACT.

TN is going down the other path. They are like do good! We want you to get in the college of your dreams!

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Josh Avatar

You're lucky. Well in PA, the SAT is pushed at least where I go. So the SAT Subject tests are pointless now?
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
Greg says:
Anything is possible.
Greg says:

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
We were told the entire SAT was pointless by state board of education reps. Most colleges will take AP tests and the ACT instead and a lot of states are making the ACT a mandatory test in order to pass high school. Honestly, it feels like they are trying to phase out the SAT.

Metro... you have no idea what's going on, do you?

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Josh Avatar
We were told the entire SAT was pointless by state board of education reps. Most colleges will take AP tests and the ACT instead and a lot of states are making the ACT a mandatory test in order to pass high school. Honestly, it feels like they are trying to phase out the SAT.

Metro... you have no idea what's going on, do you?

Josh, have you taken both the ACT and SAT? If so, which one did you feel was easier? I personally hate reading the Collegeboard's passages. They are just so boring, but the Math is really easy.
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
Greg says:
Anything is possible.
Greg says:

stoner
I am just saying TN likes SAT! They love SAT a little too much! They think SAT Should be a main test.

*cough I am not Metro anymore. i am wanting to use my real name because Metro is UCKish! *cough*

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, ok. And the SAT is a main test but it is being phased out in favor of the ACT by the College Board. It doesn't matter what Tennessee or any state thinks. The College Board is in sole control of the tests and they are favoring the ACT (which is accepted by any college in the United States)

And I've never taken the SAT. Took the ACT and scored a 27 on it. Scored 99th percentile in math. The ACT wasn't all the difficult, to be honest. The science and reading sections were bad because of how much reading was required and how little time you had to do it all in. You'll have to ask Chris about the SAT.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
In Arizona more people still take the SAT. It hasn't been "phased out" yet.

From what I've heard the ACT is longer, but I took the SAT, and it wasn't too bad. I was stupid and didn't take any prep for the math and when I took it I didn't remember anything. Of course you're talking about the SAT II subject tests which are like super SATs and I didn't take those either.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
the SAT is being phased out. It isn't phased out quite yet. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
SAT = Ran by College Board. Thus, why would College Board phase out the SAT? :P And all of my top 4 colleges require a math and science SAT II Subject test. I don't see them going anywhere quickly if MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon (CS and Engineering colleges), and Cornell (Engineering college) require them.

As for the ACT vs SAT...

ACT = 35
SAT = 2190
ACT to SAT conversion = approx 2380. You tell me which is harder. (My school has a large trend of doing better on the ACT than the SAT, including 3 perfect ACTs yet only 1 SAT in the last like 8 years.)

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Isn't the ACT given by the college board too? That is what the article I was reading earlier on my PC said...

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Oh the reading is hard on the ACT? That was my downfall on the SAT. I suck at reading boring passages and determining the meaning.
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
Greg says:
Anything is possible.
Greg says:

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
The reading and science are the hardest (or they were for me). Science is basically the same as reading just with a science topic in the passages.

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Josh Avatar
The reading and science are the hardest (or they were for me). Science is basically the same as reading just with a science topic in the passages.

What's the Math like then?
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
Greg says:
Anything is possible.
Greg says:

newBookmarkLockedFalling