Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Here are my thoughts on this situation. I consider myself an atheist (spelled ei, btw. :P). I don't believe there is any deity or anything like that. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell. After you die... that's that. There's nothing. You die, your brain stops working. Nothing else happens. I don't believe in a soul or anything similar. I don't believe (I have in the past but not anymore) in reincarnation or resurrection (other than believing the latter made Hellboy freaking awesome). I don't believe in ghosts or spirits at all. I fully believe in evolution (there is a hole or two but big deal) and yes, we are descendants of bacteria. I'm not quite sure about the Big Bang. The matter had to come from somewhere in the first place but other than that hole, it seems logical to me.

For the most part, I believe that religion was created by man (the "holy" books were all written by man, no?) to control the people. The easiest way to control a person is to put fear into them. Watch the two latest Batman incarnations to see just that or read up on Roman history or read The Great Mortality by John Kelly. What could possibly be more fearful than being told that if you don't live your life a certain way you go to an afterlife in a hell where you are constantly being burned and in ever persistent agonizing pain? And if you are good and do as you are told? You go to heaven. To paradise. You get whatever you want. It's genius, really. The person who came up with this concept of control deserves to be honored for their intellect. They really do.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so many different religions. From worshiping the same god but in completely different ways (see: Christianity, Judaism, Islam) to worshiping aliens in a religion created by a science fiction writer (see: Tom Cruise and friends). They all seem (at least to some extent) to preach that if you don't follow their way of life... you're going to their equivalent of hell. So what is the right way then? Living as a monk does? Praying 5 times a day? Waiting for our alien overlords to come down from the skies?

There is no set way of doing things. No one should tell you how to live your life. It is entirely up to you. If you don't live a good life... you reap the rewards and consequences. If you lead a good life... you get the same thing but they will generally be better. A 2000 year old book should have no say in your life. Just as (yes, this has really been pissing me off lately) people that follow celebrity lives more than they care about their own life. Live your own life, do what you want but always remember that there is a consequence. Sins, as religion calls them, are only what you deem to be bad. Only you can define them.

Tear it apart as you like. I will tear right back.

EDIT: Fixed a few typos

Last Edit: Aug 1, 2008 14:21:09 GMT by Josh

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Gah. Now I have two posts to tear at. And not enough time for either of them. rofl xD

Maybe tomorrow or sunday. :P
k

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
For the most part, I believe that religion was created by man (the "holy" books were all written by man, no?) to control the people. The easiest way to control a person is to put fear into them. Watch the two latest Batman incarnations to see just that or read up on Roman history or read The Great Mortality by John Kelly. What could possibly be more fearful than being told that if you don't live your life a certain way you go to an afterlife in a hell where you are constantly being burned and in ever persistent agonizing pain? And if you are good and do as you are told? You go to heaven. To paradise. You get whatever you want. It's genius, really. The person who came up with this concept of control deserves to be honored for their intellect. They really do.

I'm sure a lot of what you're saying is rooted in the Christian Bible (as with your heaven/hell assertion). I'd just like to make it clear that nowhere in the new or old testament does it say anything about hell. I'd also like to state that very few religions sought to indoctrinate people through fear. Though this is not to say that people, churches/mosques/whatever, and a few healthy misinterpretations and unhealthy aspirations didn't lead to the chaos you describe now.
One thing I don't understand is why there are so many different religions.

Everyone lives a different life and as such everyone has their own subconscious perceptions of life, and they usually adapt these around a religions that is suitable for them.
worshiping aliens in a religion created by a science fiction writer (see: Tom Cruise and friends). They all seem (at least to some extent) to preach that if you don't follow their way of life... you're going to their equivalent of hell.

And nowhere in Scientology is hell mentioned. In fact, the belief system refutes the existence of both heaven and hell.

I'm neither an atheist nor an agnostic, but my beliefs are simple. I'm willing to admit that I don't know everything, and as such, when someone asks me if there is a God (in the typical metaphysical, all-powerful, world-creating stereotype), I can honestly say I don't know. But when it comes down to well-founded scriptures that blatantly spout nonsensical blather, I have no issue pointing out aforementioned blatancy and denouncing said God (this is one of many reasons I truly hate the title of this thread). :P

I think, more than anything, if I were to define who I am (as in the realms of atheism, theism, agnosticism, what-have-you), i'd say that I simply can not endorse anything that desires you substitute your own beliefs for its. Regardless of whether or not I can poke a hole in the practicality of [certain religions] (and I can), I see them as a form of harvesting, and i'd rather spend an eternity in a pit of flames than proclaim my love for, say, a God that created me solely for the purpose of worshipping him/her.

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
One thing I don't understand is why there are so many different religions.

Everyone lives a different life and as such everyone has their own subconscious perceptions of life, and they usually adapt these around a religions that is suitable for them.

That doesn't make sense when you're talking about a God. Either there is a God (or whatever it is) or there isn't. There can't be a God for Jim and not be a God for Jack. That's just impossible.

I'm neither an atheist nor an agnostic, but my beliefs are simple. I'm willing to admit that I don't know everything, and as such, when someone asks me if there is a God (in the typical metaphysical, all-powerful, world-creating stereotype), I can honestly say I don't know. But when it comes down to well-founded scriptures that blatantly spout nonsensical blather, I have no issue pointing out aforementioned blatancy and denouncing said God (this is one of many reasons I truly hate the title of this thread). :P

I think, more than anything, if I were to define who I am (as in the realms of atheism, theism, agnosticism, what-have-you), i'd say that I simply can not endorse anything that desires you substitute your own beliefs for its. Regardless of whether or not I can poke a hole in the practicality of [certain religions] (and I can), I see them as a form of harvesting, and i'd rather spend an eternity in a pit of flames than proclaim my love for, say, a God that created me solely for the purpose of worshipping him/her.

You just described Agnosticism. There is no more of a neither category. Either you are Atheist (God doesn't exist), Agnostic (God might exist but I don't know), or Theist (God exists). There's nothing more to it.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
That doesn't make sense when you're talking about a God. Either there is a God (or whatever it is) or there isn't. There can't be a God for Jim and not be a God for Jack. That's just impossible.

And how is that at all relevant to what i'm saying? Please tell me. :P I'm not in any way talking about who's right or who gets a God. I'm talking about why there are so many belief systems.

I'm saying people have different beliefs and different interpretations of "truth." Therefore, they're likely to create or follow a branch of a certain religion, or even develop their own based on those ideals. When ideals conflict with one's religion, they may seek to adapt to them or convert to another religion that more or less adapts to them.
You just described Agnosticism. There is no more of a neither category. Either you are Atheist (God doesn't exist), Agnostic (God might exist but I don't know), or Theist (God exists). There's nothing more to it.

The definitions of all of those terms are rather biased and subject to a variety of interpretations. This is mostly because they're terms based off of words which are already hazy themselves. My views aren't so linear and simple-minded as atheism, agnosticism, or theism would prefer them be.

I am well familiar with the terminology, and my sentiment remains.

Last Edit: Aug 1, 2008 19:13:50 GMT by Aaron

webmaren

webmaren Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Aaron Avatar

The definitions of all of those terms are rather biased and subject to a variety of interpretations. This is mostly because they're terms based off of words which are already hazy themselves. My views aren't so linear and simple-minded as atheism, agnosticism, or theism would prefer them be.

I am well familiar with the terminology, and my sentiment remains.

There is nothing hazy. I just gave you the three options, and there can be no more options in the category. They equate to "yes", "no", and "I don't know". There are no other ways to answer the question. And the only "subject to interpretation" I have ever heard is whether or not to include Agnosticism as just a branch of Atheism.

----

Edit: To give more backup to my sentiments, there is this thing called the Law of Non-Contradiction.

It basically states that for a given axiom A, either A can be true or A can be non-true.

The statement "God exists." is an axiomatic statement. So, either God exists, or God doesn't exist. Those are the two options.

Because we are talking about belief, there is also a third option. "God exists." can be true, or false, or it can have an unknown truth value.

True= Theist
False= Athiest
Unknown= Agnostic

Last Edit: Aug 1, 2008 19:39:46 GMT by webmaren

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
It's not the "options," but what they pertain to. I'll put it simply: if I ask you if you're in the mirror, you can respond to the literal or the sentiment. You could just as easily say you are as you aren't.

God has many meanings, those which most pertain to atheism, theism, and agnosticism can still be construed any number of ways. If atheism, as you say, is so simple as "there is no God," and my interpretation of God is (in general) whatever entity brought about conception of the universe, than the Atheist has suddenly proclaimed that he doesn't believe in the universe.

It really doesn't seem necessary for me to continue explaining this, 'cause I haven't nicked the surface yet. My apologies, but i'm gonna have to skip out on wherever this end of the debate takes me. I'm waitin' for Fredy. :P

Last Edit: Aug 1, 2008 19:43:46 GMT by Aaron

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I feel like I'm the only person on my side of the debate. lol. It's going to be one hell of a long ass post when I finally do get time to get to this. PS: Its probably going to end up being Sunday night or monday. :P
k

webmaren

webmaren Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Andrew McGivery Avatar
I feel like I'm the only person on my side of the debate. lol. It's going to be one hell of a long ass post when I finally do get time to get to this. PS: Its probably going to end up being Sunday night or monday. :P

*Shakes fist angrily

Curse you, other people's lives. Getting in the way of my good debately fun.

Long posts are fine. I couldn't possibly say you can't have a long post after authoring that Behemoth on page one.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I've started to write my reply, but I'm too tired tonight. lol. Tomorrow. =D
k

webmaren

webmaren Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Andrew McGivery Avatar
I've started to write my reply, but I'm too tired tonight. lol. Tomorrow. =D

May your keyboarding be swift. At long last.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Poor categorization. You need to set up a better heirarchy, and this heirarchy needs to logically exclude other possibilties.

I was summarizing the basic 4 beleifs becuase I'm lazy like that. xD

I.1: Pantheism.

In the sense that I am using it, Pantheism refers to the idea that there is one being in existence. All of the beings that we perceive in "reality" are merely parts of this superbeing. These facets seem to be self-aware, and not able to utilize the rest of the superbeing's abilities (ie. can't control anything beyond themselves). Beyond this information, it becomes difficult to articulate pantheism, as it loses any distinction between objects and beings, as they are all one.

I don't think I can really debate this one beyond the fact that freewill is questionable in this, and I beleive strongly in freewill. However, I may have missed something and there IS freewill ni this, but it just doesn't seem like it the way you stated it. :P

First, difficulty in understanding an argument does not make the argument invalid. I do not understand how to program an airplane. It would probably take me a few months to get a cursory understanding of the code in an airplane's control systems. Nevertheless, the plane works (for the most part) flawlessly.

I'm not saying its invalid, I'm saying it seems too stupid to even be a possiblity. :P

First flaw in this description: It is essentially impossible to justify that there is another person to interact with. According to this philosophy, you can only prove your mind's existence (supported by Descartes), and thus you cannot believe that anything else is real. It could easily have been the product of your subconscious mind.

I suppose. :P But Am I making YOUR exsistance up, or are you making MINE up? :P And if our subconscious mind is making it up, shouldn't we be able to predict EXACTLY done to the smallest detail exactly what is going to happen at every second and every decision that a person is going to make? Since you know. We're making it up as we go. Like our own little storyboard. :P

There are so many problems with this argument that I'll just start at the beginning. First the athiest ws not clear (shame on him/her!). The imagination did not create the phenomena. The subconscious mind did. That's as much as can be said. Because it is impossible to examine the subconscious mind directly, we have no way of knowing why or how the phenomena were created. Next, quotes from John Locke are not infinitely perfect. Nor from Thomas Hobbes, the Baron Montesquieu or any other other philosopher. Hallucinations disprove this one. A hallucination is a jumble of all sorts of stimuli that have been mashed togther and fed to the visual processes. Also, since we are looking at subconscious processes, not conscious processes, they are not tethered to linear thinking, which produces "distortions." We have also seen computers generate things that are completely unique using genetic algoriths.

The problem with your argument is that the end resulted "hallucination" is still a distortion of things one has already experienced through their sences, or thought processes. A concept such as a divine being can't be created as a distortion of anything on earth because it is jsut too unique and complicated.

If you take every rock on the planet, cut a 1 cubic foot block out of each one big enough, and then go and look at all of the sequences of atoms, you will see many more combinations than are in DNA. DNA combinations can be created just by the forces of nature combining the elements by chance. There is absolutely no scientific reasoning to refute the idea that a DNA pair can be created by a certain chance set of events. We have good reason to believe that the required elements were present on earth in primordial times. We can show that fundamental amino acids can be made by lightning from those precursor chemicals.

So basically your saying that a system that si so complicated that we have yet to fully figure it out and understand it happened by chance? :P

As far as the survival of these "chance" organisms, yes, many of them probably died. But the survivors, well, survived. They passed on what gave them success, and those traits subtly modified through evolution, which has been amply proven.

This is just a stupid example, but you might find it humourous. How did these creatures go from using gills to lungs? And why did they even develop lungs in the first place if they were perfectly fine in the water? Maybe its just me, but Growing lungs and going up on land doesn't exactly sound like adapting to your suroundings. :P

Please actually read your sources, rather than just parroting off comments taken out of context. The full quote is available here. Darwin was using a common writing device, where the author concedes that his position seems absurd, then goes about methodically explaining it and deconstructing the arguments against.

:P Didn't Darwin also say that he didn't actaully beleive in what he wrote, but rather just wrote it as an alternative to God ?

Now that the post-Bang stuff has been cleared up, let's return to causality. THe Big Bang can't come out of nowhere, so it must have come from something. Now, St. Thomas Aquinas tells us that everything must have an ultimate eternal cause, and unmoved mover, etc. I'm going to accept that, mainly because it just makes sense. But where I draw the line is jumping from that to God. There can be an eternal causative force without it having a mind, will, whatever you wish to call it. This force is the Zero-Point Energy Field. This is an inifinite sea of energy underlying the fabric of reality. As far as we can tell, it has always been there. There is absolutely no evidence to show that this field has any sort of will or mind. This is what caused the Big Bang. A seepage of energy from this field created the universe.

So... where exactly did this energy come from and what caused it to cause the big bang? And quite honestly I think that even IF the bg bang happened, it would need some sort of intellgence behind it or some reason to happen. Spontaneous creation jsut doesn't work in my head. :P

This is a fact. This is not just an issue of the Big Bang theory, the universe is expanding and we have proof. Now to deal with you misconstruction of the big bang theory. First of all, baseball is way too big. We're talking everything compressed to a sphere of one Planck Length in diameter. A Planck Length is about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000016 meters long. Or if you prefer, 0.00000000000000000000000016 nanometers. Next, matter doesn't exist before the Big Bang, or even for a short time afterword. You're looking at pure energy here. The Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, and that mass is merely "frozen energy" via E=mc^2. The reason for the expansion is the influx of energy from the Zero-Point Field. It's not going anywhere, in the same sense as evolution, because it's just going forward, wherever forward happens to lead. Like a giant wheel rolling down a hill, it goes, not to get anywhere, but it goes until it stops.

Link is broken. XD So. First your saying that there IS a ball of matter, and tehny our saying there isn't? I'm confused. :P

Giving credit to you, you actually got this one pretty much right. Thermodynamics says this is impossible.

Thanks for the credit. :P rofl xD

Sorry for my lack of debating and worthwhile reply. I'm just way too busy. And I've been donig tyhis over the course of DAYS. lol. :P

I consider myself an atheist (spelled ei, btw. :P).

... shut up. lol xD

For the most part, I believe that religion was created by man (the "holy" books were all written by man, no?) to control the people. The easiest way to control a person is to put fear into them.

The bible was also written over thousands of years by people having absolutely no contact with each other and not reading the other books and somehow the books just so happened to mesh together. :P

What could possibly be more fearful than being told that if you don't live your life a certain way you go to an afterlife in a hell where you are constantly being burned and in ever persistent agonizing pain? And if you are good and do as you are told? You go to heaven. To paradise.

Well honestly the thought that if your right and nothing I do matters kind of scares me. :P

But honestly you kind of put that in little kids terms. :P Its more like, live your life serving God and repenting of sins(which most things that are considered sins in the bible are quite reasonable) and oyu go to heaven to meet your creator. Or the alternative where you go to hell which is traditionally beleived to be eternal burning, but more modern beleifs state that you worst part is the issolation as apposed to the pain.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so many different religions. From worshiping the same god but in completely different ways (see: Christianity, Judaism, Islam)

Same reason why I have different food tastes than you. Personal opinion. :P Some people just don't agree on certain things and go and make their own religion because it doesn't suit their likes and dislikes.

worshiping aliens in a religion created by a science fiction writer (see: Tom Cruise and friends).

I don't consider scientology a religion. At all. It's a cult.

I'd just like to make it clear that nowhere in the new or old testament does it say anything about hell.

But it does talk about a "lake of fire" as well as other references to a place that has been accepted as hell. :P

Once again. Sorry for my late, and rather crappy, reply. Once again writing this at midnight. rofl xD

<3
k

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Never really was interested in getting involved in this. Hopefully my last post?

But it does talk about a "lake of fire" as well as other references to a place that has been accepted as hell.

We are sure this small booklet will not answer all questions. It should stir up many questions. One might say: "Whether a person is the 'lake of fire' for many ages, or forever, they are still being terribly tortured." But when we see that the word translated by KJV and Company as "tortured" is the Greek word "basanizo," its literally meaning being "touchstone," then one can bring perfect harmony to the Scriptures. A "touchstone" was a stone mined in Lydia use to test the quality of gold. Gold in Scriptures speaks of Divine nature. The "lake of fire" in Greek is "limnen tou puros tou kai theiou." "limnen" is lake; "puros" is fire; and "theiou" is sulfer. Sulfer "theiou" and God "theos" are related. In other words, looking for our Father's highest Glory, instead of bringing Him down to man's lowly ways, the lake of fire is a "Divine fire" to test, not torture, whether something be divine or not. The symbols in Revelation will always be grossly twisted by carnal men. The Book of Revelation, for example, is actually the "unveiling of Jesus Christ." One should be able to see the activity of Christ and His work in Creation. The carnal fundamentalist mindset will see "the Antichrist, 666, Judgement day, and world conspiracies," instead of what the title of the book states, the unveiling of our Savior. One day, all of our works will go into that lake of "divine" fire and will be tested. Works, not lead by the Holy Spirit will be shown for what they are, dead works. Many Christians will suffer much loss, but be saved so as through fire. (1 Cor. 3:15) May His fiery compassion melt you down.
- www.tentmaker.org/books/GatesOfHell.html

I could list specifics, but you might as well gain some insight from the article yourself.

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
The problem with organized religion is not that it exists, but that man created it. The root reason as to why we have so many religions is because of man, and his beliefs.

My problem with Christianity is the bible. I don't believe that anything in this book is accurate. I won't it out of question completely, but I feel that it isn't truthful in the least.

How, over a period of 2000s, have came up with so many different translations:

King James Bible
New International Version
Todays New International Version
New living Translation
New Standard American Bible
English Standard Version
Holman Christian Standard Bible
New Revised Standard Version
Good News Translation
Contemporary English Version
New Century Version
New King James Version
New American Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
NET
Revised Standard Version
The Message
Gods Word
Revised English Bible
Book of Mormon

Now how, do you explain why each one differs? The only way to explain it, would be that those who altered the original were of a different belief in how, or why things may have occurred.

For this reason, none of them can be trusted as accurate sources.

Worship the God, and his son, but don't worship the word of the books.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Mistranslation comes from poor understanding of the language and a hint of bias on how certain wordings should be translated. However, mistranslation can be made fairly obvious when contradictions arise in close vicinity, and when we evaluate for ourselves certain texts as our understandings of certain languages develops.

To completely denounce something because of bias ain't too smart. 'cause every little thing you see day to day (short of 5 + 5 = 10) harbors some hint of favoritism. It's learning to weed through it that makes progress possible. Like with this thing called debating---which is even what this thread is for.
I'd just like to make it clear that nowhere in the new or old testament does it say anything about hell.

And this is exactly what i'm talking about. As of now, most bibles have abandoned poor translating of many words to "hell." This shows progress, and the very fact that this is happening at all lends credence to at least some reliability.

newBookmarkLockedFalling