Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Anyone tried it yet? The interface seems so much neater than Wikipedia.

knol.google.com/

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
I haven't even heard about this yet, so thanks for sharing. Looks kinda cool. =D

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Meh. When they aren't 5 years behind Wikipedia data-wise, I'll give them a second look. At the moment, this is just Google spreading itself thin in my opinion. They should have used the manpower used to create this to work on Android more.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Let's hope they make a better search than Wikipedia's.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Right now Wikipedia is a few steps ahead, ignoring data. The design for Knol just isn't the best yet. Doesn't look all that user friendly yet either. I guess we'll see how it continues to develop.

Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 0:33:56 GMT by Chris

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Ess Ohh Avatar

I honestly have no problem with the wikipedia search when I actually use it. Generally I just type in the URL since it is easy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/en/Wikipedia for example. It's actually quicker for me to type that to search it and then click on the link in the Firefox search box)

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
Josh Avatar
Ess Ohh Avatar

I honestly have no problem with the wikipedia search when I actually use it. Generally I just type in the URL since it is easy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/en/Wikipedia for example. It's actually quicker for me to type that to search it and then click on the link in the Firefox search box)

Are you sure you aren't just lazy to use the one in the firefox bar? It took me a while of forcing myself to do it before it became second nature ;D. If not you must be an amazingly fast typer.

Anyways, the only thing (apart from the small amount of articles) I don't like about Knol would be the design, it doesn't feel like google and that's what I was looking for. It looks way too complex and detailed to be a google project, you know?

Salvager

Salvager Avatar

July 2006
sounds like it could be good in the future. it needs to build up its pages.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
tcm Avatar
Josh Avatar

Are you sure you aren't just lazy to use the one in the firefox bar? It took me a while of forcing myself to do it before it became second nature ;D. If not you must be an amazingly fast typer.

Anyways, the only thing (apart from the small amount of articles) I don't like about Knol would be the design, it doesn't feel like google and that's what I was looking for. It looks way too complex and detailed to be a google project, you know?

That's the one I was referring to with "Firefox search box"

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Not to long and google is going to have to start getting more ideas. They've stolen a lot of other peoples.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
Not to long and google is going to have to start getting more ideas. They've stolen a lot of other peoples.

All Google has to do is make a browser and advertise it as "The best way to Google your shit" and they will take over the world again.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
... personally i think that sight looks like ti was made by a 10 year old, but thats just me.
k

newBookmarkLockedFalling