Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
Been looking into Ubuntu and it looks interesting. I'm pretty sure I've read on here that a lot of you use it, so I figured I'd ask some questions.

1. How simple and easy is it to download/install and revert back to vista (if I even want to change back)?

2. Is there Ubuntu skinning/themes because default doesn't look that appealing to me :P

3. What is the major advantage of Ubuntu over Vista? Specifics plz.

Thanks.

Last Edit: Sept 1, 2008 21:41:02 GMT by Aaron

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I wish I could tell you, But I am using vista on one puter and XP on another. lol xD
k

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
Ubuntu is pretty nice. You're only hiccups will be with the driver installation of some video cards and wireless adapters. I've used it on my computer before and when everything was set up and running it was very quick and easy.

You can skin it, too, but I never got too into it because the defaults along with compiz worked out well for me.

You can also import documents and random stuff from previous Windows installations which is really damn nice.

Overall, if you're not a big gamer or designer (unless you like the GIMP), Ubuntu will work out well for you.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
The last time I used Ubuntu was version 5 (They're on 8.04 now). However, even then, it blew me away.

Like trance said, your only real problem will be drivers. Not all drivers are linux-ready these days. However a quick google search can fix that!

As for skinning, get Beryl. The Ubuntu themes are located here, assuming you've got Beryl that is.

Regarding advantages over vista... Hmm. Ubuntu is built from one of the most secure (if not THE most secure) kernels in the world. And thats all you need to know :P

edit: wah, fredy, you suck

Last Edit: Sept 6, 2008 3:42:13 GMT by Benjamin
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
^ ubbc fail. :P
k

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
My ubuntu install is broken right now, other wise I would show you what you can do.

Eh... well... This should do for now, it was taken before all my eye candy: www.brianhammond.exofire.net/leopux.png

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
All right, thanks for the info!

February 2008
I'll get you some better ones once I fix my install. I don't know what the hell happened to it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Can't you also install dual-boot so you can switch between the two anyway?...

February 2008
Yep. It's called GRUB, and if you have a current install of any other OS already on there, it will keep it, and add Ubuntu.

On my Mac Book Pro, and on my iMac, I have OS X, Windows XP Pro, and Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the same system.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
There's also a Windows app called Wubi. It allows you to install Ubuntu onto your hard drive without partitioning or messing around with your hard drive. It's a simple wizard resembling any other program installation you've used.

I've used it before and it worked great. You can uninstall Ubuntu straight from Windows with it as well.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yep. It's called GRUB, and if you have a current install of any other OS already on there, it will keep it, and add Ubuntu.

On my Mac Book Pro, and on my iMac, I have OS X, Windows XP Pro, and Ubuntu 8.04 installed on the same system.

Using GRUB? Why not just use Bootcamp...

February 2008
Already had Windows XP and OS X installed on it, and when I installed Ubuntu on it, it installed GRUB. Not really sure why it did that.

Boot Camp is great software, but GRUB does the same thing, and it's simple.

newBookmarkLockedFalling