Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I need some input.

I'm Looking into about getting a domain name and along with starting a website.

I need to know what i'm getting into. Is it easy enough to someone who doesn't really know what they are doing but kinda does? or not

i would like something so i can host my images and what not and soon add a blog or something like to it. Mainly for my personal needs nothing big. Just simple. Along with e-mail.

Then as time goes on made add more stuff to. I need to know is it hard to set things up like what i stated above? liking coding and what not.

Any input would be great. any for anyone who has a website like Chris and $©Ø®Þ!@Ω™ along with anyone else who has one would be great to get their thoughts.

Thanks

Aru.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
If you've never done anything like it before, it can be difficult. However, most support sites has a support team that can either walk you through what you wish to do, or even do it for you. Some hosts have scripts also preinstalled with cPanel so that you don't have to worry about screwing up the installation, etc.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Don't mean to advertise but this is the setup I, and many of my friends, also use.

Godaddy, despite the ads and whatnot, are the best to purchase domains. Its quick and the cheapest on the market: www.godaddy.com

I use hostgator for hosting. Many hosters advertise large space, and tons of bandwidth, but the site loads slow. Hostgator has lightning fast servers with tons of space for low prices. Plus if you enter a coupon code you can get 1 month free (great for testing): www.hostgator.com

As for uploading I wouldn't recommend using the cpanel.

Ftp access allows you copy paste files right onto your server, just like another folder in your computer. Setting it up is as easy as creating an ftp account and logging in. Smartftp is what I use: www.smartftp.com/

All you really need to know is to make sure to connect your name servers to your domain name (every domain hoster has a spot to enter them).
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Yea i never really work with website stuff before... well i shouldn't say that b/c i did in school but that was couple years now and what we use was a program with did most of the work.

So yea i clue going into this. Just want some to host my images, e-mail, and possible a blog at the moment.

Ryan

Ryan Avatar

August 2007
If you need a blog get the domain and hosting godzilla told you about and download wordpress then upload if you need any help i can do it, it's an awesome customizable blog, for an example look at my site it's in my sig, you can customise it to the max.

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
get a free sub-domain first, so you can get used to and learn to work with all the programs and such. I could give you a free ftp account if you want, with a sub domain : xxxx.aayano.com
And when I figure out how to give each sub-domain their own cpanel, i could do that too i guess :P

Arucard

Arucard Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Where could i go about getting a free sub-domain?

Kairo

Kairo Avatar
Truly...

Official Member

October 2007
co.nr

Thats the closest you can get to www.yoursitesnamme.com for free. It's pretty easy to register, and after you have registered you can get a sub-domain like www.yoursitename.co.nr and it seems like a com, it just isnt ;p

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
alucard said:
Where could i go about getting a free sub-domain?

if you didn't get it yet, i said i would give you one =P only thing you won't have is your own cpanel, but if you ever needed anything you could ask me.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Sorry about that been really tired lately. Yea that sounds good give me a chance to see how things works. I game for it, if you want :)

Allan

Allan Avatar
It's All Good

Dedicated Member

March 2006
to me i would want Cpanel since it comes with so many scripts built in and easy to manage.
trying to think of what to make

newBookmarkLockedFalling