Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Hey guys.

I recently got introduced to the world of Linux by my Computer science friend. After looking at a distribution of Gentoo named Sabyeon, I have to say that Linux kicks windows arse big time.

It looks absolutely beautiful. The whole desktop is of eye candy, there are more than 4 desktops avaliable, there is 3D cube and you can customize each and everything you can think of.

Of course, the biggest thing is compliation, where you get to auto optimize the Linux to save space and run VERY FAST on your current hardware.

And for all those windows users (including me) there is WINE. Allowing you to run windows programs without the penalty of an emulation. It is frickin awesome!

Best of all, it is all free! Completely free! I'm seriously kudosing to those open source developers!

For me, Linux all the way! Especially desktop. Windows vista is the biggest mistake that Microsoft has ever made!

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Yeah Liux = Just about the best operating system genre in the world.
The customization is really what does it for a lot of people. Instead of on windows, where it can take hours just to find a decent replacement for the GUI, on Linux you can get a completely new GUI an reskin it in about 15 minutes.

Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" for me.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I'm slowly learning about how great Liux is and wish i should have gotten a computer with that instead of a Vista one >_< dam vista is a freakin pain in my butt.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I've never used Linux for more then 30 minutes (and 29 minutes of that was in command line helping my friend fix it,) but it is a nice operating system. :)

The only thing really keeping me from switching or trying Linux is that my mom would snap because she has enough trouble with Windows already, and my dad would just get annoyed by it. :P

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
:P...Really? My dad is all for linux and any other operating system as long as certain windows components can work properly. He said that as long as I could install linux into a old PC, play around with it and teach him how to operate it properly, he's all for free open source.

=D I love open minded parents!
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Link me to somewhere where I can get a really good version. I'll install it on my laptop. As it is, this damn WGA thing has disallowed me from reinstalling Windows. (I had a legal version, but no way to legally reinstall it) >.<
wat

mukei

mukei Avatar

July 2006
Blackbox/BB4Win > Unbuntu. :P

Bah, I'm more comfortable with LiteStep though. Customization is not really an issue with Windows, if you know your way around, and I personally think that Windows is really far more customizable than Linux from all the aspects.

But still...

Linux>Windows

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I've never tried linux... it'd be something to try one day though =\
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I guess I could maybe try it with DualBoot. Anyone wanna help me out a bit? :P

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I would like to try Linux but i dont see that happening any time soon. Also i could be wrong on this but think i heard that Linux doens't get viruses, that true?

1,000th post

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
alucard said:
I would like to try Linux but i dont see that happening any time soon. Also i could be wrong on this but think i heard that Linux doens't get viruses, that true?

1,000th post

Linux CAN get viruses, but does not because no viruses exist for Linux (to my knowledge.)

Arucard

Arucard Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I see, i remember a topic over at support about linux once i think thats were i heard about that but couldn't remember.

Another question can you get linux for any brand of computer or do it uselly come with a certain typ/brand?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Again, to my knowledge, you won't find Linux prepackaged for anything other than servers. You'll need to install it yourself. You should be able to do it on any system that can handle it (so, anything with enough processor speed and a good enough graphics card... and I guess RAM.)

Arucard

Arucard Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
alright good to know, thanks for the info

Sasuke

Sasuke Avatar

August 2005
Actually you can buy Ubuntu prepackaged on a Dell, but currently not in the US, your best bet would to be to order it online from the UK

www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

newBookmarkLockedFalling